I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DNR Welcomes Public Input On State Forest Annual Work Plans

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

DNR Welcomes Public Input On State Forest Annual Work Plans

Post by Rut Row »

wow - too much to keep up with

see http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/workplans/

more importantly see http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/work ... P_FY14.pdf

and specifically...
Background: This project will restore ecological sustainability to East Valley (8.7 miles), Twigg (2.2 miles) and Gordon (3.0 miles) Roads and restore motorized public access to recreation features within Green Ridge State Forest. In 2010 DNR made the difficult decision to close East Valley Road to all motorized traffic because the road surface is no longer ecologically sustainable and has become dangerous for vehicle traffic. This decision reduced public access to the forest significantly and included closure of approximately eighteen miles of motorized access and seven campsites. East Valley Road was closed to all public motorized traffic because it had become degraded to the point that it was no longer ecologically sustainable as well as become impassable for most licensed vehicles. Much of this degradation was caused by ATV Traffic. East Valley Road is no longer designated as an ORV Trail. Public ATV traffic has proven to be an inappropriate use of this resource. However, DNR wishes to restore this road to eliminate sediment and erosion control problems and restore motorized recreation access for licensed motor vehicles.
does someone have time to read them all?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: DNR Welcomes Public Input On State Forest Annual Work Pl

Post by BigBird »

I MIGHT be able to fit some reading into my busy work schedule :lol2:

Is the a list of things to read (other than the above) that you can direct me to?
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

BigBird wrote:I MIGHT be able to fit some reading into my busy work schedule :lol2:

Is the a list of things to read (other than the above) that you can direct me to?
hoy ... scan the DNR website

take a look at this and see if we have an opeing there

www.mdot.maryland.gov/bikewalkplan
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Okay peeps - time for action!

Please respond to the DNR and recommend that instead of using the money to open new OHV trails, instead use that money to remediate Green Ridge and open is in a sustainable manner.

More tonight.
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Here's a reply
Good Evening—

I am writing Department of Natural Resource (DNR) to comment on the proposed Green Ridge State Forest Annual Work Plan FY14. As you are well aware and cite in your analysis, Green Ridge was abruptly closed to OHV use in 2011. While the 5-year OHV stateholder working group was established in June 2011 as a result of the Green Ridge OHV closing, to date, not a single acre of the 453,622 DNR owned acres (163 properties) has been reopened for OHV use. It is altogether deplorable that Maryland has rejected an entire user group from recreating on public lands and yet continues to levy taxes on OHV citizens for supporting those same lands.

Specifically, the previous Green Ridge OHV trail comprised of an 18-mile loop (East Valley & Stafford Roads). It is altogether exciting to see that East Valley road (8.7 miles) has received $550K for restoration projects. However, it is very quizzical that Twigg (2.2 miles) and Gordon (3.0 miles) roads (which aren’t part of the OHV trail, nor adjacent to East Valley) will also be part of the restoration. Logically, it would be prudent to also consider Stafford Road for improvement, so that the OHV trail/multiple user trail could be re-opened. By improving an existing OHV loop in a previously established OHV property would be the most cost-effective method to allow OHV use.

While it was encouraging that the OHV community was afforded the opportunity to comment to the Annual work plan, the plan itself also leaves more questions unanswered. For example, OHV is not identified as a user group anywhere in the Annual work plan; only hunters, campers, hiking, and mountain biking. It is also strangely curious that Stafford Road (the second half of the OHV trail) is neither identified nor planned for upgrading/maintenance. One can only assume that this ultimately implies that OHV trail will not be opened. Overall, the lack of planning for OHV access in the Annual work plan leaves the reader with the sense that Maryland does not have any intensions to provide for the OHV user group, which is simply unacceptable.

Additionally, there are quite a few locations which have been identified for lumber harvesting. By the virtue of the lumbering process, new access points within the forest will be created by the lumber companies when they transverse the forest with machinery to cut/remove the lumber. None of the “alternatives” sections in the Annual work plan have explored the possibility the lumber trails could be repurposed to OHV trails, once logging has completed. For me, I see the ability to create a world –class OHV riding area. Thoroughly applying the National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) recommended practices, a mutually beneficial solution is viable. Moreover, I am willing to offer exploration riders to scout trails and propose mappings which could be deemed mutually acceptable for OHV use.

Lastly, section 2 (Other Revenue Sources) which ironically is the only mention of OHV, does not project any funding for FY14. Does this imply there will be no OHV use? I believe there is an ability to leverage an OHV permit fee for OHV should OHV access be reinstated and we work together to make more OHV access available and work towards the vision of a world-class OHV riding area.

In closing, I look forward to discussing the above comments with you further and re-instating OHV use. Keep America’s public lands open for all public users.

Yours in sport,
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Here's my reply
Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the State Forest Work Plans. I am excited that the State is considering opening new OHV trails but concerned that it may not be done in a sustainable way. As a member of the OHV community, we want to ensure that there is not a repeat of the conditions and other factors leading up to the closure of the loop at Green Ridge.

In looking specifically at the Savage River and Green Ridge work plans, we can help but wonder if the funds being used at Savage River to open an OHV trail wouldn't be better spend at Green Ridge to mitigate the Loop and reopen it for OHVs.
The Loop at Green Ridge provided the best OHV riding in the State and restoring that trail would be the most expedient way to meet the needs of the OHV community. Further, it would result in the best use of scare DNR funds.

There are quite a few locations which have been identified for lumber harvesting. By the virtue of the lumbering process, new access points within the forest will be created by the lumber companies when they transverse the forest with machinery to cut/remove the lumber. None of the “alternatives” sections in the Annual work plan have explored the possibility the lumber trails could be repurposed to OHV trails, once logging has completed. Thoroughly applying the National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council (NOHVCC) recommended practices, a mutually beneficial solution is viable. Please note that Mr John Wilson has a copy of the NOVHCC "Park Guidelines for OHVs". This is an excellent guide on building sustainable OHV trails. I would be happy to provide more copies for DNR's use.

Again thank you for the opportunity to comment. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Team - see above examples - email comments to JPERDUE@dnr.state.md.us

see http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/workplans/

comments should be along the line of:

- creating new OHV riding areas needs to be done in a sustainable manner

- rather than opening new riding areas in Savage River State Forest, use those funds to remediate Green Ridge and reopening Green Ridge for OHV use in a sustainable manner

- the 18-mile loop at Green Ridge, before closure, provided the best OHV opportunity in the State and addressed the needs of nearly all OHV users

- by applying sound practices as recommended by the NOHVCC a world class OHV riding area can be created at Green Ridge

- doing the above provides the best value for the State and the DNR
Ken
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Done
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

late breaking news
Here is the updated schedule for the three regional stakeholder sessions to get public input for the Maryland Land Preservation and Recreation Plan. NOTE: The location and time of Western stakeholder session on March 5 changed to 4-6 pm at Allegany College, 12401 Willowbrook Rd., Cumberland, MD. Otherwise the schedule is the same.

Please use this linkwith the updated schedule for your outreach and marketing efforts:

Marylanders Asked to Provide Recreation Information

We apologize for any inconvenience this change may have caused.

Thank you for your efforts to help publicize these important public input opportunities!

John F. Wilson
Associate Director, Stewardship
Land Acquisition & Planning
Tawes State Office Building E-4
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
(410) 260-8412
Ken
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Need the link. What you pasted is not clickable.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200