I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Next series of meetings!

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: Next series of meetings!

Post by Ovo »

Kyler wrote:
Ovo wrote:John Wilson ?

Have a contact information?
perhaps post #1 has a clue? :shrug:
ahhhhh. I see that now. Thanks!!!
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Update! Here's the official announcement

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2013/02/06 ... formation/

and I have attached to the first post a PDF with their agenda and the questions they will ask.

GET THE WORD OUT!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Hey,
Who can help setup a Facebook page to help spread the word? I don't have the techie background but I can at least make noise .
Anyone
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

bonehead wrote:Hey,
Who can help setup a Facebook page to help spread the word? I don't have the techie background but I can at least make noise .
Anyone
This is a great idea - I don't have the time to do it but sure could use the help!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Darryl
DAMN n00b

Post by Darryl »

I'm going to try to make the one in HoCo on the 6th. I work just down the road from there and thought this was a no brainer, but then I realized I'm in a training class that day out in Beltsville.

Darryl
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Wingfixer wrote:I can make the ones on the 6th, you wanna car pool? Or, better yet, take the bikes?
My company has officially screwed us. I am now working an 8 on, 6 off schedule. Which means I will be getting home on the 6th. If I get home in time I will still go but I doubt that will be the case. :wallbash:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Wingfixer wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:I can make the ones on the 6th, you wanna car pool? Or, better yet, take the bikes?
My company has officially screwed us. I am now working an 8 on, 6 off schedule. Which means I will be getting home on the 6th. If I get home in time I will still go but I doubt that will be the case. :wallbash:
well, at least the paycheck is still coming. If the A-Holes in Congress don't do something soon I'm taking a 20% pay cut in 2 weeks.
Ken
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Kyler wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:
well, at least the paycheck is still coming. If the A-Holes in Congress don't do something soon I'm taking a 20% pay cut in 2 weeks.
Funny you should say that, we are also getting a 20% cut on 4/1. To go alone with the 14.7% increase in days worked. :frustrated:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

the next meetings are March 5/6. Dana put together some talking points for us.
Below is the agenda...I've also thought about some answers which might help you.
AGENDA
I. Welcome and introduction
II. Project Overview
III. Discussion/Input on Outdoor Recreation Issues
IV. Summary & Next Steps
INPUT QUESTIONS
Individual Questions (choose three to answer individually)
1. How can our outdoor recreation areas become the best places for everyone to experience the natural beauty of Maryland?
• Ensure that all user groups have access to Maryland’s open space which include OHV users
• Designing trails for multi user groups
• By managing the resource for sustainability; ensuring it will be there for our children
2. How can different uses of outdoor recreation areas be managed to assure equal access and enjoyment (e.g., hiking or hunting, bird watching or off-road vehicle use?)
• Gathering like-user groups on same trails (e.g Mountain bikes, OHVs, horses)
• Consider a season/rotation schedule for activities which might need separation
• Having short, near and long term plans for the trails system. For instance, once logging vehicles cut new access paths to harvest lumber, reutilize those trails as OHV trails once logging is completed.
3. How can people who don’t often use our outdoor recreation areas be encouraged to take advantage of them?
• Continue to provide a wide breadth of activities such as OHVs
• Continue to instill tolerance in all user groups by not alienating any users including OHVs
• DNR can start grass roots efforts within communities to synergize users with projects they can be involved in (such as hosting OHV trail work days, requesting scouts riders for new trails, etc)
4. What groups of people seem to you to be least likely to use outdoor recreation areas including state parks? Why?
• Maryland has not only failed to quantify the OHV need, but also failed to adequately provide access. While DNR owns nearly ½ million acres, there is only a paltry 67 miles of OHV accessbile trails.
• The current OHV 67 miles trails occur in the pan handle of Maryland only, leaving most residents a 3+hr drive to access them
• Maryland does not capitalize on lessons learned by partnering with known companies which can design sustainable OHV trails
• Perception that the OHV trails cannot been sustainably managed, and are therefore better off closed
• Maryland has been unable to balance the needs of all its’ tax paying residents
• Maryland does not partner with the OHV community to leverage partnerships of trail maintenance5. Think of a park or recreation area that you have especially enjoyed. What was it about that place that should be copied in other parks and outdoor recreation areas?
• Parks which are able to provide different trail complexities to accommodate the novice to skilled OHV participant
• Trails that have variations including elevation changes, terrain (rocks, sandy, clay footing, etc), single track, etc
• Parks which large enough that spending a weekend in the forest never runs out of things to see, places to camp or areas for OHVs to explore
• GreenRidge was fun (before it was closed)
6. What do you think are the most important parts of outdoor recreation areas to preserve?
• Access spots such as waterfalls & landmarks
7. How can outdoor recreation areas be designed to serve specific groups such as people with disabilities, youth, seniors, and low-income families?
• Ensure that trails can accommodate OHV traffic so that disabled persons can get to same overlooks and see the same grand features
• Musculoskeletal problems can prevent persons from hiking, but OHVs provide open access to enjoy nature
• The OHV community serves folks from all socio-economic classes
• OHV is a multi-generational experience from teens to grandparents as family units
8. How should we encourage Maryland’s youth to explore the outdoors?
• Exploring nature throughout formidable years, beginning as a passengers in OHVs
• Continuing to providing opportunities for young adults to enjoy their chosen out door past-time such as riding OHVs with parents
• By providing OHV training specifically about responsible riding and not abusing the resources
9. What kinds of services or facilities would you be willing to pay (more) for, and what would you not pay (more) for?
• Would be willing to buy a pass for a trail system such as Hatfield-McCoy (West Virginia), which has 500 miles of connected trails
• Would be willing to buy a pass for a well maintained motocross track
Key Issues Identification
10. What are the strengths of Maryland’s outdoor recreation resources? What works?
• DNR owns 5% of the state, and continues to acquire purpose land should include the needs of the OHV enthusiast
• DNR strives to serve all Marylanders, and that should include users such as OHVs
11. What improvements could be made to enhance outdoor recreation experiences? For youth? Underserved? Special populations?
• OHV continues to be an underserved compared the user group size
• Additionally, OHV access is only in western MD and needs to be expanded to other MD regions (Southern, Eastern, Central)
Ken
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

It looks like I might get a reprieve this week. The guy I'm paired with has to go home on Tuesday so, unless they pull a total a-hole move, I'll be home on the 5th. Ken, when/where do you want to meet up for the meetings on the 6th? The weather is not looking too good for riding right now. :think:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.