I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

9/13 OHV Working Group Meeting

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

9/13 OHV Working Group Meeting

Post by Rut Row »

Today the MD DNR hosted another stakeholder's meeting. It appears that the pressure from above has increased on the DNR members managing this group. Why? because new areas previously considered untouchable have been placed on the table for consideration.

The State has spoken with the LaFarge management about purchasing or leasing the quarry just outside of Hancock. One issue (which is not a show stopper) is the existing highwall which will need to be mitigated. The DNR took a very relaxed view of this property and was not reluctant to opening up trails. Unfortunately this spot is roughly 200 acres and is not ideal to woods riding. However it would make some excellent trials riding and a good spot for a hare scramble. One issue that is slowing this down is the LaFarge manager the State was working with is no longer there and as a result, they have almost had to start over in their negotiations.

The St John's Rock area (Savage River State Forest) is still being considered. The available area has been reduced due to the discovery of a rare and endangered beetle. However if the State allows us to cut in some single track, the end result is nearly the same. The State did seem reluctant to support expanding the trails. I and Randy beeman (ATV rep) flat out stated the area has little appeal without opening up new trails - the existing roads have little interest to anyone.

The State offered Wills Mountain State Park for consideration. This is about 300 acres and the topology is very steep. Access is a major issue. There are quite a few wildcat trails that could be used. They are going to do a study and get back to us. If they deem it viable, we'll go ride the area.

They also offered Sideling Hill WMA and have started a study. This spot is heavily wooded and again I stated it has little appeal if we can't establish new trails.

Steve Carr (the State Trails Planner) has started talking with mine owners about relaxing the reclamation standard if in exchange, the mine operator would reclaim the mine for recreation. Several owners throughout the eastern part of the state have expressed interest. I will be introducing Steve to a western MD mine manager (Ray Tie) to discuss this further as well as show him what a nice riding area can be made from a reclaimed mine (we are going to ratino's property).

I've started a dialog with the Western MD Snowmobile group about joining forces. They can use the same trails as us with little user group conflict. They are interested.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: 9/13 OHV Working Group Meeting

Post by phoo »

> They (snowmobile group) can use the same trails as us with little user group conflict.

Why do I see so many trails that are marked snowmobile only that seem to be closed or otherwise not available for motorcycles spring-fall? I've always wondered this.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

phoo wrote:Why do I see so many trails that are marked snowmobile only that seem to be closed or otherwise not available for motorcycles spring-fall? I've always wondered this.
good question and worth pursuing.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

phoo wrote:> They (snowmobile group) can use the same trails as us with little user group conflict.

Why do I see so many trails that are marked snowmobile only that seem to be closed or otherwise not available for motorcycles spring-fall? I've always wondered this.

Thanks,

~Patrick
This is based on zero fact and almost as little thought, but I wonder if it's because of perceived trail damage. In theory, a snowmobile can only run when the trail is covered in snow and as a result, there is no damage.

Or some other reason.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

If the ground is frozen and covered and in snow, there should be no erosion or tracks dug in the ground. I know in forestry practice (at least in the north), there are some areas that can only be harvested in the winter time.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200