I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Did I go way off my rocker???

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Joker
DAMN Expert

Did I go way off my rocker???

Post by Joker »

For the past umteen years I have pasted the Oaks landfill off of 108 in Montgomery county that has been closed since the late 90's. http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/swstm ... s_oaks.asp Which is around 550 acres of already owned government trashed land (yeah you can see where I'm going.) So my question is what can we as ORV's do if anything to get our hands on this chunk of land? No houses can ever be built on previous dump sites. The trash is buried way deep so the man made hill climbs appear to me that it would take a lot of :roost: to expose any waste. And possibly the best part would be it's proximity to most DC suburbanites. And the environmentalists literally look at the land as total trash! So unless in 100 years it is to be turned into a park (which I have been trying to find out), it might be worth making buzz about trying to get our hands on some old reclaimed dumps like this one.

Personally I will take stinky and close than nothing at all. It was an idea that wouldn't leave me alone and I wanted to share and see if it was the least bit feasible.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Did I go way off my rocker???

Post by Rut Row »

somehow I think the liberals would go nuts at the mere thought of the likes of us enjoying ourselves on their refuse dump.

but it is worth checking out!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

IMHO, it is worth looking at with caution. Not to get expectations too high. The only way it would work would be to use a similar justification to that used with the skateboard parks. I would guess the landfill would have to be a public park. Therefore the construction of it would have to be budgeted. So from the first entry into the budget to competion of a project like this may be 4-10 years. :peep:
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/swstmpl.asp?url=/content/dep/solidwaste/facilities/landfills_oaks.asp wrote: Landfill Closure Construction

Final closure construction was completed in January 2001. Closure construction involved the placement of a multi-layered final cover over the waste.

This cover includes

two feet of soil over existing waste
a 40 mil synthetic geomembrane
a geocomposite drainage layer which sits on the geomembrane
two feet of final soil cover over the geocomposite
the establishment of grass and vegetation on the surface (landfill cap detail).

I don't think it is unlikely that the top layer would be chewed up to expose the geomembrane at least in some places, but I guess that would depend on how smooth the terrain is. But with four feet of dirt on top of the landfill, it's worth looking into this!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200