I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Single Track Trails

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Stinson
DAMN Expert

Single Track Trails

Post by Stinson »

I am happpy to see that the DAMN riders are working hard and pushing for riding areas in MD.

Just an idea, I think one of the biggest problems with riding areas is the parking and all the quads. :boohoo: But anyway, I always thought that maybe it would be possible to get some single track opened up that was available to only tagged motorcycles. This type of trail could be shared by hikers, mnt bikers, horses and motorcycles.

If the trails were limited to tagged bikes, the riders would be more responsible, have spark arrestors, would not do donuts in parking areas, and there would be much less traffic on the trails.

I know that this type of trail would only appeal to me, and would leave out other groups, (atv/side by sides/4x4's) but I don't really care any more. I have seen so many trails destroyed by quads, and riding areas shut down because of quads and motorcross wanabees.

Out west there are trails open to motorbikes only, and there are ways of keeping the quads out. Would it be worth persuing something like this?
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: Single Track Trails

Post by phoo »

I think you present some good ideas, but I'm not sure anyone wants a single trail to be for motorcycles, bicycles, hikers, and horses. Horses get spooked, bicycles get in the way, and hikers complain when you knock them down. Also, hikers and to a lesser extent bicycles don't respect unidirectional trails.

Also, I don't know where you get this idea that a tagged motorcycle doesn't do wheelies, burnouts, and donuts. ;)

Your overall message, that we need more single track, is absolutely correct and a goal worthy of pursuing.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Stinson
DAMN Expert

Post by Stinson »

phoo wrote: Also, I don't know where you get this idea that a tagged motorcycle doesn't do wheelies, burnouts, and donuts. ;)

~Patrick

Yea, we just don’t do them in staging areas.

I see the challenges with a multi-use trail, but at the same time if it is labeled as such the bikers/hikers and horses will know to use it at their own risk.........but they would probably just take our good single track that we cut and maintained and kick us off it just like everywhere else. :dirtdog:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Stinson wrote:but they would probably just take our good single track that we cut and maintained and kick us off it just like everywhere else.
Quoted for truth. (QFT)

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

I would agree that the area does need some type of good safe riding trails. I have been trying to get my son into riding and he loves it. But it's just to DAMN hard to put away enough time to travel 2-3 hours away to ride for 2-3 hrs.
The problem that I see with moto only trails in this area is population density. Too many people not enough open public lands. Sure it could be done but it would take alot to get through all the politics. ATVs would want access. Horse people don't want anyone on their trails
Hikers are scared of us. I don't think mountain bikes would mind too much I know I wouldn't and try to ride as much as I can. They are even kick bikes out of the watersheds, unless you want to ride the fire trails. And where's the fun in that.

If we could find someone with privately owned land that would be willing they could make some money off there unfarmable farm lands. Tree buffers between fields streams etc...

I wish you luck and you have my support.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Stinson wrote:

If the trails were limited to tagged bikes... there would be much less traffic on the trails.

When they started talking about shutting down all the state run/sponsered OHV trails in MD I was hoping they would close them to offroad vehicles but keep them open as "roads". So tagged bikes could still make use of them.

But this wouldn't fix the lack of single track problem. I don't see sharing the trails w/ horses and hikers working out so well. Unless it was clear that they were dirtbike trails that horses and hikers could use. Even then...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

In the DNR meetings I've attended, it is very evident that hikers and horses are a special group and mixed use won't be tolerated.

Mixed us to us means ATVs and trucks/Jeeps.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The future of single track riding will be through use of private land, places like the Cove where folks have some land and want make some income to help pay the bills.
Anything the state or fed gov controls will be so regulated and must be friendly to all areas of outdoor recreation that you will not find it to be enjoyable.
Examples like Hatfield is what needs done, set up and run as a business for profit. The days of free riding are few and far between.
Brimestone in TN is a perfect example of what can be done, they "manage" groups of private property for ATV / Cycle / hunting all for a reasonable ride fee. I think Mountain Ridge is also more than one land owner.
Most of you guys are reasonable close to The Cove, the brothers that operate The Cove seem like very reasonable guys. I bet if you approach them they would be up for adding more single track through the property.
Something like work for reduced entrance fee or no fee to go build trails.
I have managed to build a 8+/- mile loop on our 100 acre farm so with the amount of acres they have it would possible to make enough trail to run an enduro on.
If you only want to complain that no trails exist and not willing to become active in building and growing trails then your riding days are numbered.
Join an enduro club and become active in setting up events, you will get in good trail riding just working on event set up.
I am a firm believer that trials will grow more as land becomes harder to access. You can spend a full day riding on a small section of land (normally private) and I see no better cycle activity to spend with your kids.
The vintage trials scene is very strong in your area and they have been growing more riders because of being flexable allowing modern bikes to also ride and even some guys with enduro bikes give it a try.
All of you guys running loud ass 4 strokes can take credit for more and more private land owners saying "no thanks" to allowing thier property to be used.
OK, rant over.....
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Boom Boom wrote:All of you guys running loud ass 4 strokes can take credit for more and more private land owners saying "no thanks" to allowing thier property to be used.
This is a funny thing. I remember when it was the two strokes that were loud and obnoxious. I'm not sure when that changed. On a related note, my search for a quiet exhaust for my WR continues. Anyone know of a cheap stock DRZ400 exhaust can? Or at least know the inlet size?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks,

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Do they make a "quiet tip" for your current exhaust? My DR had a somewhat loud twobrothers can on it. I finally got a quiet tip insert that quieted it down a bit.
phoo wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:All of you guys running loud ass 4 strokes can take credit for more and more private land owners saying "no thanks" to allowing thier property to be used.
This is a funny thing. I remember when it was the two strokes that were loud and obnoxious. I'm not sure when that changed. On a related note, my search for a quiet exhaust for my WR continues. Anyone know of a cheap stock DRZ400 exhaust can? Or at least know the inlet size?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks,

~Patrick
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200