I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MD ORV Stakeholders Meeting Notes - 9/30/2011

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

MD ORV Stakeholders Meeting Notes - 9/30/2011

Post by Rut Row »

The second MD ORV Stakeholders Meeting was held Friday 9/30/2011.

Let me start by saying I am now 100% convinced the State of Maryland will open a new riding area and is committed to opening others.

But first my notes.

Wind O'Neil (MX Council) has been working very hard and found several places of significant potential. One site is the LaFarge Quarry at the intersection of I-68 and I-70. They are very interested in leasing that quarry to the DNR. It is about 200 acres total. From the pictures I saw, it has an area that would be ideal for a trials course. There is about 100+ acreas that is ideal for a single track course. The DNR is pursuing this.

The State has been approached by a land owner south of Oakland to lease his land for a riding park. He has about 300 acres. The owner wants to lease it to the state and then get a concession to operate it - might be possible if the State makes it a Park (vice Forest).

The Kitzmiller property (DNR calls it Lupo Tana) is being actively pursued by the State. They are in discussions with the Bankruptcy Trustee. It would be 1 year minimum to open it if bought by the State.

The area by Town Hill is still viable but on the back burner - too many issues to work through right now.

Randy Beeman (Western MD Trail Riders Assoc) has also been very busy contacting all the local coal mines. He also has been in discussion with a bank that bought a failed development near Dan's Mountain (about 2000 acres). He's trying to broker a deal for the bank to build a lodge and lease the balance to the State as a riding area. The State is interested.

I'm trying to coordinate a visit to Jim Ratino's Barton property. Jim has made it available so the DNR can see what can be done with a reclaimed mine. We are trying to put the DNR into contact with the local mining manager (Ray). Ray works for Tri-Star Mining and Tri-Star has multiple properties around W. MD in various stages of completion. Ray lives near Frostburg and is an active GNCC racer. Ray's knowledge of the area's mining operations, experience in the mining reclamation process and motorcycle history, makes him a valuable resource.

My #1 concern is the State is pursuing riding areas that are relatively small in size. I understand they want to get a "quick win" but that could be self-defeating if the area is over-run and quickly destroyed or opened on a very limited basis. I do believe they are going to open larger areas eventually and I'll keep the pressure up.

Ken
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Re: MD ORV Stakeholders Meeting Notes - 9/30/2011

Post by Granville »

Thanks for going to the meetings and keeping us informed! Do you know if all these properties being discussed for the exclusive use of motorcycles or we going to be sharing the trails with quads and 4-wheelers?
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Granville wrote:Thanks for going to the meetings and keeping us informed! Do you know if all these properties being discussed for the exclusive use of motorcycles or we going to be sharing the trails with quads and 4-wheelers?
SHared use, yes but if I get my way, there will be single-track and trials areas.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

The single track concerns need to be made if and when DNR decides a trip to the property. I have expressed concerns over a limited trail system that requires little to no skill. Hopefully we can make it work.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Joker wrote:The single track concerns need to be made if and when DNR decides a trip to the property. I have expressed concerns over a limited trail system that requires little to no skill. Hopefully we can make it work.
btw, met your buddy's Dad - Darryl Anthony.
Ken
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Post by windyhill »

Great news! Thanks to those who are fighting to make this happen.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

windyhill wrote:Great news! Thanks to those who are fighting to make this happen.
+1 :thumbup:

Hatfield is a perfect example of what can be done with coal land and how much income it can bring to local business.
If I am not mistaken Hatfield does not own the land used but has agreements with the coal and lumber companies to use the land. Payment is via tax credits.
Brimstone, Royal Blue, Coal Creek and Wind Rock are also good examples in Tenn.
Just wish PA was smart enough to do something like Hatfield with all the coal land we have. MD also has a bunch of coal land, sounds like you have a few folks within the state that is listening and what a positive step forward.
Thanks so much for all your effort Ken. :bow:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
GearedUp
DAMN Expert

Post by GearedUp »

Speaking of coal mines and riding here is a working example of something like that in PA. You may already know this but the Reading Anthracite company allows riding and hunting on there property for an annunal fee. $125 a year. Vehicles must be insured. Allowed anywhere on the property unless activly mining. I bought a permit for this year but yet have gone riding on the property.
http://www.readinganthracite.com/access-permits/
Gary

KTM 530EXC
Kawasaki KLR650
KTM Adventure 1190R
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

GearedUp wrote:Speaking of coal mines and riding here is a working example of something like that in PA. You may already know this but the Reading Anthracite company allows riding and hunting on there property for an annunal fee. $125 a year. Vehicles must be insured. Allowed anywhere on the property unless activly mining. I bought a permit for this year but yet have gone riding on the property.
http://www.readinganthracite.com/access-permits/
You need to hook up with Master62, he rides at RAC regular.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

Thanks Ken!