I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Coincidence? I think not.............

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Coincidence? I think not.............

Post by Firebolter »

I was listening to TOP this morning on the drive in and they were talking about how Virginia has a permit to do exploratory drilling off the coast and MD has a permit in to do exploratory Natural Gas drilling. They went on to say that for the Maryland effort it was concentrated to Western maryland where the only known sources of NG were in MD. Now could that be in the "Greenridge" area? Wouldn't that be something if the reason they close off Greenridge is so they can go drill and not really due to environmental concerns?

Then I found this article:
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/03/0 ... gas-wells/

So it appears the towns in Western maryland (around Deep Creek) not far from GreenRidge won't let new Gas Drilling in------

Smells fishy to me. Both Garrett county (Deep Creek area) and Allegany County (Greenridge) are the only 2 known areas of the Marcellus Shale where they extract the NG from. So the state is behind the drilling and it is in that area. Close it down to off roaders and then you can go drill...........

And then this page from a MD Gov website:
http://www.mgs.md.gov/geo/marcellus.html

Shows pictures of wells in Allegany county............And they are permitting for more.
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Coincidence? I think not.............

Post by Rut Row »

this came up in the town meeting Mike and I went to. One can't help but wonder.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:this came up in the town meeting Mike and I went to. One can't help but wonder.
I have never heard another word from that group, have you?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:
Kyler wrote:this came up in the town meeting Mike and I went to. One can't help but wonder.
I have never heard another word from that group, have you?
no, I've been meaning to drop them a note but just haven't gotten around to it
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I did some more searching and more towns have filled injunctions to stop drilling due to the ground water containimation issues that are associated. So it kinda makes sense (in a Mel Gibson Conspiracy Theory way), the state condems a "public use" place like OHV, which would have very small and focused group of "protestors" and factor in the average general public would not care and even applaud the closing. Face it, we are a small group of the overall population.

Then they go drilling. GreenRidge is not near any real towns per say the size of Deep Creek Area, so it might be easy and since it the ground has already been disturbed, they could sell the concept of a "re-birth" as part of the drilling project.

I have had some exeprience in Environmental Reg's regarding building facilities that deal with chemicals and such and there are alot of hoops you have to jump through. The largest one that requires the most study and precaution is "ground disturbal". If you have an area that is already torn up, makes it much easier to do something like drill as you won't hurt it any worse and you'll "repair" as part of the deal.

I know this is a uber conspiracy therory, but regardless, It will be interesting to see how this works out.
Lots of cool bikes---
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Watch Gasland. I believe they did something similar (fracture local user groups and "conquer" the land) on BLM land out west...

Hydraulic drilling is a very nasty process which involves pumping toxins into the ground at high pressure to fracture the shale and allow the natural gas to escape. The toxins poison the water table: wildlife dies off, folks develop all sorts of weird illness, and animals mutate. I'd be amazed that we allow it on US soil except we've waged war on other countries for the same material... I guess poisoning a few podunks for the greater greed of the wealthy 1% is the price we pay.

I'm off to buy stock in bottled water...
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

the dude himself wrote: I'm off to buy stock in bottled water...

who in Deer Park?

what little we know has more little to do with any arguments made.