I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

ORV Realignment Meeting - Apr 7th!!!

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: ORV Realignment Meeting - Apr 7th!!!

Post by mdubya »

I didn't realize this was a new thread. I will see if I can make it, but it is my busy season at work and my injury is keeping me down. A drive out to GR might be doable though.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

I doubt this will be anything except an exercise in futility but no way on the quicky wham bam and kick us out of existance without a peep.

We really need a pro botanist/biology guy on our side, shame they are mostly enviros, i got the trail making and construction part down, installing various methods of erosion control is an everyday thing for me, but someone to call out any discrepancies in their logic, or lack there of, is needed.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I've reached out to a DC law firm specializing in land use issues. I was referred by an attorney I worked with when the Grand Canyon Private Boaters Assoc (GCPBA) sued NPS (and won). I used to be on the BoD of GCPBA and flew around the country as part of the law suit and various NPS meetings.

I'm hoping that a letter from a law firm will force the DNR to slow down and keep things open until a complete report is done.

The fight is on big time. :dirtdog:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

:wallbash: Can't get any time tomorrow to make it out there. Thought I could pull it off and make the meeting, but doesn't look like it'll happen.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Why was an economic impact survey not done with our forests, like this one for our parks?
http://www.visitmaryland.org/AboutMDTou ... s_2010.pdf
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Grady wrote:Why was an economic impact survey not done with our forests, like this one for our parks?
http://www.visitmaryland.org/AboutMDTou ... s_2010.pdf
good question - park vs forest I guess
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Sorry to say I missed this. The phone was ringing before my alarm went off this morning and by the time I thought about what day it was, it was already past the start time of the meeting.

Hopefully some locals showed up.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare went. He said there was only about 6 peeps who showed (surprise, surprise). He felt that the whole thing was just to show that they made an effort. They stated the trail will close on the 21st for a minimum of 18 months.

Joe said that they did appear to be genuinely interested in helping open new trails. HOWEVER... we need to submit plans and expect a minimum of 18 months for them to be reviewed, etc. I suspect that an EIS would need to be conducted too.

In other words, boys and girls, were f8cked.
Ken
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

My friend Bill went, who is a member of AMA D7 Board of Directors. From what he just told me it's the lower East Valley rd that is the main problem, not Stafford rd. The runoff, that DNR folks are calling "streams", is causing some serious erosion on East Valley rd. All of the dirt roads including Stafford will remain open to tagged vehicles, but NOT to ATV's, Side by sides, or untagged dirt bikes. What that means is no true loop when camping and no technical lower section to ride. There look to be plenty of dirt roads on and off of Stafford to allow tagged bikes to make a loop, but it will be traffic both ways, no more one-way loop.

That's what I got out of my 10 minute convo with Bill.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

Now this could all change with some incredible revolt from the people of Maryland but otherwise it dont look good.

I tried to get them to be definative, believe me it was tough. Basically i said we want to do whatever we can right now to save what trail we have, we will do anything needed to stop this, we have the man power and experience to repair or relocate the trail. what can we do today or with in the proposed closing? their reply was "it will close and it wont be opened until an alternate plan is propsed then aproved through a multi step process that we might ride at GR again" ( I am para-phrasing, that took about an hour to get in total)

they did want to say theres "a possibilty of realingment" in a shorter time but to fit the citeria they demand, there will be no way to do so at the present location. They really dont want us to use stafford rd either but didnt say exactly that. but there is no way around it as other property owners cut off any trail that could go through the woods.

That all being said and I am pretty sure this is all lip service designed to put us off, but they seem genuine when asking for proposed alternative GR Trails and really it sounds like finding new lands which trails systems can be used or made will be the only solution. Still yet dont give up on GR there could be some type of trail in the future but not for a couple of years at least.

we should find tracts of land suitable for purchase, come up with other routes at GR that meet their specific demands, which may be impossible, but most importantly we need to show them how other states and DNRs regulate ORV trails, they say they are clueless to ORV trails and systems and want our help to design a system... OK

All the info and plans need to be compiled in a organized and professional report and it wont be reviewed until mid may or later due to other work demands upon the rangers.

emailing ect to express your absolute disapproval over the Closeings and lack of notice is great, get you non riding friends to send them too!!! but random emails and faxs of info, examples or complaining will have little to no value, or be used against us.