I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New ORV trail meeting scheduled

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

New ORV trail meeting scheduled

Post by Rut Row »

Note that a local citizen's group is fired up - I'll be going.
ORV trail meeting scheduled
AVILTON — The Citizens Rights and Heritage Group, a watchdog organization particulary concerned with Maryland Department of Natural Resources issues, will meet April 17 at 6 p.m. in the Avilton Community Center to discuss closures and changes affecting off-road- vehicle trails on Savage River and Green Ridge state forests, according to Sid Turner, the group’s vice president.
Turner said the meeting is open to anyone concerned about the trails.
Recently, the DNR announced an immediate and indeterminate closure of Poplar Lick Trail and an April 24 closure of the Green Ridge Trail.
Public comments about trail management may be sent to the DNR at ppeditto@dnr.state.md.us .

Sid's contact is 301-697-3633
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: New ORV trail meeting scheduled

Post by mdubya »

I will attend.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I'll call him and let him know we'll be attending. i'll send him my comments too.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Meeting is at the Avilton Community Center, 8295 Avilton Lonaconing Rd, Lonaconing, MD 21539

I spoke with their VP and he's happy we are coming!
Ken
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

I wish they could move this so it isn't a 4 hour drive to get there... :frustrated:
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Ovo wrote:I wish they could move this so it isn't a 4 hour drive to get there... :frustrated:
If it was a DNR meeting I'd try to talk you into it but this is a local community group - Mike 'n I will be there.
Ken
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:
Ovo wrote:I wish they could move this so it isn't a 4 hour drive to get there... :frustrated:
If it was a DNR meeting I'd try to talk you into it but this is a local community group - Mike 'n I will be there.
Yep. :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Thanks! :thumbup:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

From Wayne Sody @ AMA

Richard Riley is our legislative chairman. He’s spear heading all activity related to this matter. We had our district representatives at the meeting. I was unable to attend to other commitments. We’ll be addressing this at our next meeting which is this Wednesday starting at 7:30 PM. We’ll be meeting at Hellas Restaurant and Lounge 8498 Veteran’s Highway Millersville, Maryland 21108.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I went to the citizen's meeting. Senator (State) Edwards and Delegate Beitzel (local elected officials, were there). They were equally surprised by the DNR's action. Both think the SFI initiative is a smoke screen and seriously doubt that closing the trail is a requirement. Also, Senator Edwards mentioned that the amount of logging is going down annually; in other words, why worry about SFI if you aren't logging! Both Senator Edwards and Delegate Beitzel are supportive of OHV in western MD. They will be engaging but stressed that everyone needs to write the Gov and Secretary of Natural Resources.

The citizen's group plans on taking the non-riding enviros and DNR guys on an ATV ride soon - trying to build understanding.

The local paper was there (see below). I sent him a copy of my response.

They are thinking of forming a coalition or alliance for encouraging OHV use in W MD. I told them all the regional clubs would likely support them. Originally they were thinking an ATV club. I encouraged them to look at an alliance/coalition organization that would have business and recreational group membership - focused on bringing legal OHV use to the area. They then spent quite a bit of time talking about how to create a Hatfield/McCoy like area in W MD.

Joe and other club reps - They are very interested in the NVTR's success with the Shenandoah 500 (as well as other DS rides) and are open to helping do something similar. I plan on pushing that - will need the support of the local clubs to pull it off.
I appreciate receiving this so quickly. The story will be up later tonight, maybe, but no later than 8 a.m. tomorrow on http://www.phdispatch.com. I'll be sure to link your response to my coverage.
I told Randy Beeman I'd be very interested in going on the ride-along with the DNR folks. That sure would make for some decent video.

It was good meeting you, too. Please keep me posted as things unfold.

Kevin

Kevin Spradlin, editor
The Potomac Highlands Dispatch
P.O. Box 651
Mount Savage, MD 21545
See http://www.phdispatch.com/

Group: ORV trails should remain open
Trails set to close for good April 23

By Kevin Spradlin
PhDispatch.com
AVILTON, April 17 -- If there is a feeling that lawmakers and policymakers downstate don't bother to consider Western Marylanders when making decisions that impact Western Maryland, that sentiment was only strengthened on Sunday night during a Citizens Rights and Heritage Group meeting at the Avilton Community Association Building.

And Senator George Edwards and Delegate Wendell Beitzel all but raised the white flag of surrender.

"We need your help," Edwards told more than 40 people, nearly all of whom oppose the plan by state Department of Natural Resources to close Off-Road Vehicle trails in Green Ridge and Savage River state forests this week.
Ken