I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MD DNR ORV impact meeting

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Re: MD DNR ORV impact meeting

Post by Granville »

The good news is they might put in some single track. The bad news is, if they do they're going to charge you more than 3X as much to ride it.

"Finally, provide them a good-faith effort with a new site or two and the ORV community would likely support an increase in registration fees for riding on DNR land. Current costs at nearby private facilities average $35 per day; and these places are at capacity on the weekends. DNR currently charges $15 annually to ride on public lands. A report from staff suggests raising this fee to $50 or more would be more inline with the actual cost to maintain the trail network."
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

That's just great...I've already sworn to never buy a hunting or fishing license in this state again, now I have to give up ORV riding too.

Thanks a lot you motherfucking leprechaun. f_ck this state, I think if our guv took one step to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.

I'm fucking moving to Tennessee.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I am glad I can just disappear south into WV where there is no drama and practically no-body. :ride: Just don't get in over your head because there will be no-body around to help.

Maybe we should take Hare up on his invite to join him at the Wolf's Den in Kitzmiller. From what I have heard about the place, it ain't for sissies (might rule me out). :deal:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Post by Daves08excr »

Well it looks like a good thing i could not come last nite.After reading what you all have posted i know i would have had alot of bad feelings and my mouth would have taken over. I will try to stay positive but its going to be hard.Looks like Pa and Va will see my recreaction dollers from now on. :dirtdog:
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

yes i am sure they would be cool at wolfs den. just need to keep it as a bunch friend going riding, just no formal events now. Trails arent too bad, yes there are plenty of brutal rock sections but they have lots of other great trails as well, plenty of views and is right on the river. I'll post some pics on my Spring ride thread.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Here's the report I sent to NVTR. The rest of you who were there please add/correct/etc as you see fit. I'll share my comments with you too before sending it to the DNR.
I attended the subject meeting on behalf of the NVTR (and DAMN Riders). The meeting was held at the Natural Resource Police conference room at Gwynnbrook WMA, 3738 Gwynnbrook Avenue, Owings Mill, Maryland 21117. I estimate that there were roughly 60 people in attendance with 1 member from the Maryland Alliance for Greenway Improvement & Conservation (MAGIC), a few 4x4 types, 2 snowmobile guys, some ATV riders and a handful from the DNR. The overwhelming majority were motorcycle riders.

If you want more info about MAGIC, see (http://magicalliance.org/) and read their report titled "Let’s Get ORVs Out of Maryland’s Forests" (See http://magicalliance.org/download/off-r ... orests.pdf).

They presented a draft report and stated that this was the same report that they had briefed their superiors. The main briefer/facilitator was Paul A. Peditto, Director Wildlife and Heritage Service. As a side note, Paul is a off-road rider (motorcycles) and the picture on the front of the briefing is his young son on a motorcycle. Paul gave the intro slides and discussed the general state of ORVs and MD trails. His data was conspicuously out of date on the number of ORVs (latest was 2006), ORV complaints (latest was 2009), ORV permits (latest was 2009), hospital visits from OHV riding (latest was 2006), etc.

The next briefer (a fish biologist) spent a lot of time on what I considered a red herring--30 minutes discussing stream morbidity, mortality and fish impact at Poplar Lick ORV. That research was well based in scientific fact and they made a strong case, however there were no alternatives identified nor any analysis of alternatives. Their conclusion, to close that ORV due to the impact on the native trout, was not well based on a full analysis of all data and the impacts to all stakeholders. During questioning one attendee stated that other states had addresses the same issues with bridges to which the biologist summarily dismissed. Again, with no alternatives listed and no analysis of those alternatives, their decision was fete accompli.

The next briefer discussed the MD sustainable forests and their requirement for 3rd party assessments. This sustainable rating is driven towards the logging industry and he made a point of saying they needed to preserve the historical values and economy - ie; manage the forest for harvesting by local lumber companies. He made a point of stating that local lumbering will need a source of sustainable forest limber and said that the Governor had directed management of the forests as such. He showed on maps where there were ecologically sensitive areas and where the Loop went beside or through these areas. He then, without any analysis, jump right to how the ORV Loop is inconsistent with a sustainable forest.

However, research contradicts what he stated. In fact (see http://www.hcvf.net/eng/about/) "High conservation value forests (HCVF) are such forests, which have a specially high ecological or social value. In other words, HCVF are such forests which are more valuable in terms of biodiversity values, ecological values and importance for local people than in terms of industrial timber." Make careful note of "... importance for local people than in terms of industrial timber."

The DNR often stated a desire to purchase other, less ecologically sensitive land (at one point an old sand pit was mentioned) to provide for OHV recreation. They discussed ways to raise additional fees to support the forest, etc.

He answered a few questions and then the general Q&A started.

I formally asked that NVTR be given a seat in any community task force or focus groups. I pointed out that they just aren't closing a OHV riding area, they are closing MD's premiere and most popular area. That nothing in the state compares. I further stated they have a paradox -- they need funds to do trail mitigation and/or acquire new land, but if they close the ORV (Maryland's most popular) they will be cutting off their funding source. I gave the usual platitudes, offered NVTR's full support and knowledge of trails and trail access, and thanked them.

At the very end I reminded them that community relationships start with trust. They can't close the Loop and then expect us to work with them to find funds (which won't come in my lifetime), assist in raising rates, etc. If they are sincere, they will keep the Loop open and give us a chance to work with them and mitigate damage, find alternatives, etc.

No doubt I've forgotten something and others can fill in.

I think the State Trails Manager wants to keep the Loop open and try working with us for at least a year. The State Forester wants the Loop to remain closed indefinitely. I think this will move fast. The public comment period closes end of April. I expect within 2 months to hear whether or not the Loop will reopen. If they reopen the loop we have a chance. If not...

I recommend the following strategy
- contact business leaders and Chambers of Commerce in Garrett and Allegany Counties. Ensure they are aware of the effort to close the ORV and solicit support. This does reduce tourist revenue to them.
- contact political representatives for Garrett and Allegany Counties and make the same case as above.
- open a dialog with the other affected groups to develop a coordinated long-term response.

I suspect writing the Governor is a waste of time.

I will write a detailed response to be reviewed by NVTR and then submitted.

Ken
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Nicely done Ken. :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Nice work Ken. I can't believe they closed the ORV, I guess we should have ridden it when we had the chance, ice be DAMNed!!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

Has anyone contacted the AMA and like orgs yet?
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

crofrog wrote:Has anyone contacted the AMA and like orgs yet?
A member of the board of directors for District 7 was there, Bill Menges. I'm going to follow up with him and see if AMA can do anything to help. I am a defender level member, meaning I pay extra every year to help fund these types of issues that AMA SHOULD get involved in. I will follow up with him and see what his view is and what actions AMA can take.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S