I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

AMA Club

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

AMA Club

Post by Rut Row »

Dooods... there are no AMA sanctioned dual-sport rides in MD! I think we need to form a District 7 club and host a DS event at Green Ridge.

Recreational and Competition Promoting Clubs can sanction events and vote for AMA Congress Delegates. They must attend an AMA Risk Management Workshop before holding AMA sanctions.

* All club officers must be current AMA/ATVA members.
* Including officers, club must have at least ten current AMA/ATVA members.
* Two letters of recommendation, printed on company letterhead, and a copy of club Constitution and By-Laws are required to be submitted by first year applicants or clubs that have not renewed their AMA charter for two or more years.
* The charter fee is $50 per calendar year for Recreational Promoting Clubs and $100 per calendar year for Competition Promoting Clubs.

How many of you are AMA members? I am.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: AMA Club

Post by mdubya »

Ken,

I was once an AMA member. For me, personally, I do not like or support the AMA. There was talk at the DAMN campout about getting GR's support in having an event there, even talk of cutting single track for a yearly event. If DAMN wanted to go that route, I would join the AMA and lend all the support I could. I know we have some really good people here which would give us a really strong base for organization.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:I was once an AMA member. For me, personally, I do not like or support the AMA.
I can identify with that. I used to do high-power rifle competition and had to join the NRA in order to shoot in the matches. I didn't agree with their stance at the time but considered it a necessary evil. Many of the rides I want to do require AMA membership and I see it in the same light.
mdubya wrote:There was talk at the DAMN campout about getting GR's support in having an event there, even talk of cutting single track for a yearly event. If DAMN wanted to go that route, I would join the AMA and lend all the support I could. I know we have some really good people here which would give us a really strong base for organization.
Do you recall who that was? I'll contact them and see what we can stir up.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

As a former racer, I also have some ambivalence about AMA as an organization. I think they may have fundamentally changed their operational goals with the sale of the racing division, and I can support that.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:
mdubya wrote:I was once an AMA member. For me, personally, I do not like or support the AMA.
I can identify with that. I used to do high-power rifle competition and had to join the NRA in order to shoot in the matches. I didn't agree with their stance at the time but considered it a necessary evil. Many of the rides I want to do require AMA membership and I see it in the same light.
mdubya wrote:There was talk at the DAMN campout about getting GR's support in having an event there, even talk of cutting single track for a yearly event. If DAMN wanted to go that route, I would join the AMA and lend all the support I could. I know we have some really good people here which would give us a really strong base for organization.
Do you recall who that was? I'll contact them and see what we can stir up.
I think it was Thisguy Bill.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

I let my membership lapse. But I will "re-up" for a good cause. I could use some new stickers anyway. I'm also generally a hired gun by nature, so the idea of me getting to play at such events is bounty enough for me to join.
:bandit:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I've emailed Chris, the District 7 guy, and he welcomes a DS ride in MD. I've emailed ThisGuy and am waiting for his response before going further. He may have a club in mind already. If not, the gauntlet is down and I'm inclined to pick it up.
Ken
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Just out of curiosity, what would we be accomplishing with AMA sanctioning? And why would we want to have an'official' type organized event versus the informal group rides we currently do?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would we be accomplishing with AMA sanctioning? And why would we want to have an'official' type organized event versus the informal group rides we currently do?
uhhhh... hmmmm... :shrug:

mdubya 1
Ken 0

at the time it made sense

but I had been drinking! :freakey:
Ken
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:
mdubya wrote:Just out of curiosity, what would we be accomplishing with AMA sanctioning? And why would we want to have an'official' type organized event versus the informal group rides we currently do?
uhhhh... hmmmm... :shrug:

mdubya 1
Ken 0

at the time it made sense

but I had been drinking! :freakey:
I wasn't trying to chop down your idea, just trying to understand what the rationale for the AMA sanctioning was. :mrgreen:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC