I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Machine!

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Teethgrinder

New Machine!

Post by Teethgrinder »

Well...
After (for all intents and purposes) screwing myself out of Green Ridge by being a Company Yes Man, I decided to console myself with a new motorbike. I am good for doing this under many, many circumstances: Got a raise? Promotion? Missed out on a promotion? Carried a heavy thing up the stairs? Dropped a heavy thing on my foot? All are apropos for a new motorbike in my mind. I am a trained, professional rationalizer.

Some know that I've been in the market for a new machine anyhow. For the last two weeks, I've been doing the legwork of going to check out potential candidates. I've ridden, or sat on:

A 2008 KLR - Liked it, but I really like the older fairing and build better (like Ken's), and foresaw myself tearing it up upon delivery. I like it's purpose, but wasn't sure if I needed what it had to offer.

A 2007 XR650L - More like the older KLR, but still to much into the dirt part of the dirt/road ratio. Great bike, maybe one day.

A 2007 Triumph Scrambler - passed on it because I know the only reason I want it is out of my love for Triumph. Maybe next time, but for now, I need the perfect blend of fun and utility. The Scrambler is just not it yet.

A 2008 Kawi Versys - Loved it. Test rode it. It is pretty much what it claims to be - a great all-around machine. Interesting looking. I passed on it simply to wait a while as accessories develop in the states, and to see if it evolves.

A 2008 KTM 990 - The only reason I don't have this right now is the price. Period. I just couldn't part with that kind of dough for a utility bike at this point. But what a great bike it is.

A 2007 Suzuki SV650 - I love this machine. It's one of the best ever made in terms of pure useability and reliability. A mainstay and, in my eyes, a modern classic machine. I can't say enough about this motorbike, and I've ridden a few. But it lacks just a little of the "touring" I am looking for with it's semi-sport stance. I could adjust it around and all, but why? - when the natural choice (for me) was sitting right next to it...

I just today bought a 2008 DL650 V-Strom (Wee-Strom) :ride:
In essence, it is the SV650 in it's soul, but with different shirt and shoes for travelling a little more. The fit for me is perfect, the motor is bulletproof, there's room to add on quality luggage, and with that seat it will take me where I need to go. I didn't really need the DL1000 muscle, as the SV I had once was more than enough go-go for me under expressway conditions, so I saved the (approximate) $1000 difference for bags or something. I chose the new Matte Black version over the taxi-yellow-trying-to-look-like-a-GS model. Delivery should be tomorrow, Thursday at the latest. Good thing, because with my new role at work, I will need it for the commute come Monday.

Obviously a stock-photo of last year's gloss-black unit, not one taken in my perfectly white living room.

I will likely burn up the Trailwings ASAP and look for a different tire, but other than that, I really like it. It's just as big as the Big-Strom, light compared to it's imposing size, has a huuuge fuel tank, great MPG, and a good reputation as a capable, user-friendly machine. I can't wait to ride it home, and photos will follow.

Not everyone is a V-Strom fan. They're not super-attractive, actually kind of fugly. But then again, so am I. So it's a match! :loveit:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: New Machine!

Post by Bucho »

Cool bike, I didn't care much for the V-stroms when they first came out, but they have grown on me. I strongly considered them and almost bought a used DL650 this past fall. But decided it was a little too close to my DR and I bought the concours for better highway manners.

I could see myself with either one, 650 or maybe the liter class model w/ a sidecar.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I cannot think of a better way to console oneself for such a tragic event. WAY TO GO! :freakey:

And to show my support, I'm looking for a well used 250 of one sort or another. :lol8:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Congrats TG.

I whole-heartedly approve. I rode a friends well-sorted DL1k and liked it pretty well. I thought my wife would like one, she owned a BMW GS when I met her, but she didn't like the "plastic" on it. Jeez, everything has plastic on it WTF is the problem, but it's not my duty to understand my wife, just respond appropriately.

I think you'll get a lot of good miles out of it.
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

DAMN would be proud of the razor-sharp, ninja-like talking I did to my wife to make it happen. My rhetoric, in the end, made it seem as if I didn't buy a thing. Carefully chosen but quickly employed phrases and buzzwords did the trick. ("Oh, and on the way home today, I stopped in at the Suzuki dealer to make arrangements to swap out the DRZ in the future for a V-Strom now, as I might sell the DRZ - I don't know yet. But my payments won't change with the new purchase, so nothing really changes...blah blah blah). After my explanation, she didn't even argue. So... either she is as bamboozled as I'd like to think, or she is so far beyond falling for my bike-purchase yadda-yadda that she simply blocks it out and lets me get away with it. I would guess the latter. I am lucky to have her.
:rayof:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

The answer is D. She is now waiting for her special something she has to have and there is NO WAY you can do anything but agree! :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:The answer is D. She is now waiting for her special something she has to have and there is NO WAY you can do anything but agree! :harhar:
I think that may be the case, retroactively. I gave her a bunch of dough/blessings to renovate her new knitting room and buy a wheel that she has her heart set on. Maybe this is the reason she didn't freak. That, and I just bought the house for her to have a knitting room in.
:loveit:
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

I picked up the new V-Strom today from Silver Spring. I got a nice, 40 mile "get acquainted" ride back to Frederick. So far, I an very happy. It's highway manners are very nice, (which is where it will spending a lot of time commuting). It's easy to maneuver, the fairing does it's job, and it is super-comfortable. The only con is that I can't hear it well - a little unnerving. But that can be rectified with a pipe one day. But, I can see myself on it for hours at a time. It sits like a KLR, but wider, giving the impression of height for the short-legged like me. I need to mess with the rear shock pre-load adjustments, but there's time.
This machine will be my tool for the 1800 (+/-) mile DC-Chicago-Indianapolis-DC trip I am taking at the end of May/beginning of June. Just have to look for cargo solutions now.
:rickey:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I think it needs a creek crossing shake down! Bring spark plug wrench...
Ken
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

I don't know about getting it wet just yet (maybe after the break-in).
Here are some pics! (There is no need to mock and jeer my tailbag cargo solution. Silly, but temporary until I can decide on panniers).

The front end is bizarre, but functional for sure. I got all of the service-tech's grubby paw-smudges off of it (you'd think that when you drop thousands to someone for a product, they could at least wipe it off when they're done building it :screwy: )