I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Back Support

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Back Support

Post by Rut Row » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 am

What do you guys recommend for back support? I've seen several guys with different back bands. I am going to be riding down the coast to Jacksonville, NC soon (planning on 2 days down, 1 back). This will be my first long ride as a geezer and want to be prepared should my back wimp out on me 1/2 way.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ridicule?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: Back Support

Post by hondahawkrider » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:34 pm

DAMNKLRRider wrote:What do you guys recommend for back support? I've seen several guys with different back bands. I am going to be riding down the coast to Jacksonville, NC soon (planning on 2 days down, 1 back). This will be my first long ride as a geezer and want to be prepared should my back wimp out on me 1/2 way.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ridicule?
I dont know bout support... I wear a forcefield back "Protector" which is the only level 2 back protector on the market (I think JR has the same one rebadged under it's name as well).. Can't say if it provides support - but my back hurts less (and I have had surgery on it) allot less when I wear it..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se

Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:17 pm

I have a TLD Supermoto jacket with a built in "kidney belt". While I don't wear it for back support, I've found that I get it anyway. Any belt of that nature that forces you into an upright-ish position would do the trick, I imagine. There are many industrial back supporters with suspenders (I think even at HomeDepot/Lowes) that are of a fairly low profile (fit under your jacket).

On such a note - I've recently (after realizing where my shortcomings really are) have been into a genuine "core-muscle" exercise routine to address just this issue. My pseudo-logicky brain says that if my lower back is getting tweaked after a few hours of riding, then I must increase the endurance and strength of that area. So I bought a big rubber ball that I do crunches and "backward" situps on, and I've been tending to my leg/thigh muscles as well (as they keep the majority of me off of the fuel tank). I am hoping to see a notable improvement as summer progresses. In the very least, my wife might stop making fun of the extra belly I seem to be acquiring.

But... Great Zeus's Heavens forbid if I mention where she is "filling out".
:amazon:

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Teethgrinder wrote:On such a note - I've recently (after realizing where my shortcomings really are) have been into a genuine "core-muscle" exercise routine to address just this issue. My pseudo-logicky brain says that if my lower back is getting tweaked after a few hours of riding, then I must increase the endurance and strength of that area. So I bought a big rubber ball that I do crunches and "backward" situps on, and I've been tending to my leg/thigh muscles as well (as they keep the majority of me off of the fuel tank). I am hoping to see a notable improvement as summer progresses.
Exercise is a word that is not part of my vocabulary. :nono: It was the first thing I quit when I retired from the military! :loveit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:27 pm

DAMNKLRRider wrote: Exercise is a word that is not part of my vocabulary. :nono: It was the first thing I quit when I retired from the military! :loveit:
Alternately a giant tank bag, big enough to lounge on, might do the trick!
:lol2:

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:52 pm

DAMNKLRRider wrote:
Teethgrinder wrote:On such a note - I've recently (after realizing where my shortcomings really are) have been into a genuine "core-muscle" exercise routine to address just this issue. My pseudo-logicky brain says that if my lower back is getting tweaked after a few hours of riding, then I must increase the endurance and strength of that area. So I bought a big rubber ball that I do crunches and "backward" situps on, and I've been tending to my leg/thigh muscles as well (as they keep the majority of me off of the fuel tank). I am hoping to see a notable improvement as summer progresses.
Exercise is a word that is not part of my vocabulary. :nono: It was the first thing I quit when I retired from the military! :loveit:
To paraphrase Mark Twain: "Doing nothing is the hardest thing. You never get to take a break.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:55 pm

BTW I wore a regular orthopedic back brace while riding many years ago. It greatly relieved lower back stresses of riding. I should probably still wear it (but it shrunk :oops: ) .
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:05 pm

mdubya wrote:To paraphrase Mark Twain: "Doing nothing is the hardest thing. You never get to take a break.
I'll see your quote

I am pushing sixty. That is enough exercise for me. ~Mark Twain

and raise you

I get my exercise acting as pallbearer to my friends who exercise. ~Chauncey Depew
Ken