I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Back Support

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Back Support

Post by Rut Row »

What do you guys recommend for back support? I've seen several guys with different back bands. I am going to be riding down the coast to Jacksonville, NC soon (planning on 2 days down, 1 back). This will be my first long ride as a geezer and want to be prepared should my back wimp out on me 1/2 way.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ridicule?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Re: Back Support

Post by hondahawkrider »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:What do you guys recommend for back support? I've seen several guys with different back bands. I am going to be riding down the coast to Jacksonville, NC soon (planning on 2 days down, 1 back). This will be my first long ride as a geezer and want to be prepared should my back wimp out on me 1/2 way.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ridicule?
I dont know bout support... I wear a forcefield back "Protector" which is the only level 2 back protector on the market (I think JR has the same one rebadged under it's name as well).. Can't say if it provides support - but my back hurts less (and I have had surgery on it) allot less when I wear it..
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

I have a TLD Supermoto jacket with a built in "kidney belt". While I don't wear it for back support, I've found that I get it anyway. Any belt of that nature that forces you into an upright-ish position would do the trick, I imagine. There are many industrial back supporters with suspenders (I think even at HomeDepot/Lowes) that are of a fairly low profile (fit under your jacket).

On such a note - I've recently (after realizing where my shortcomings really are) have been into a genuine "core-muscle" exercise routine to address just this issue. My pseudo-logicky brain says that if my lower back is getting tweaked after a few hours of riding, then I must increase the endurance and strength of that area. So I bought a big rubber ball that I do crunches and "backward" situps on, and I've been tending to my leg/thigh muscles as well (as they keep the majority of me off of the fuel tank). I am hoping to see a notable improvement as summer progresses. In the very least, my wife might stop making fun of the extra belly I seem to be acquiring.

But... Great Zeus's Heavens forbid if I mention where she is "filling out".
:amazon:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Teethgrinder wrote:On such a note - I've recently (after realizing where my shortcomings really are) have been into a genuine "core-muscle" exercise routine to address just this issue. My pseudo-logicky brain says that if my lower back is getting tweaked after a few hours of riding, then I must increase the endurance and strength of that area. So I bought a big rubber ball that I do crunches and "backward" situps on, and I've been tending to my leg/thigh muscles as well (as they keep the majority of me off of the fuel tank). I am hoping to see a notable improvement as summer progresses.
Exercise is a word that is not part of my vocabulary. :nono: It was the first thing I quit when I retired from the military! :loveit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

DAMNKLRRider wrote: Exercise is a word that is not part of my vocabulary. :nono: It was the first thing I quit when I retired from the military! :loveit:
Alternately a giant tank bag, big enough to lounge on, might do the trick!
:lol2:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:
Teethgrinder wrote:On such a note - I've recently (after realizing where my shortcomings really are) have been into a genuine "core-muscle" exercise routine to address just this issue. My pseudo-logicky brain says that if my lower back is getting tweaked after a few hours of riding, then I must increase the endurance and strength of that area. So I bought a big rubber ball that I do crunches and "backward" situps on, and I've been tending to my leg/thigh muscles as well (as they keep the majority of me off of the fuel tank). I am hoping to see a notable improvement as summer progresses.
Exercise is a word that is not part of my vocabulary. :nono: It was the first thing I quit when I retired from the military! :loveit:
To paraphrase Mark Twain: "Doing nothing is the hardest thing. You never get to take a break.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

BTW I wore a regular orthopedic back brace while riding many years ago. It greatly relieved lower back stresses of riding. I should probably still wear it (but it shrunk :oops: ) .
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:To paraphrase Mark Twain: "Doing nothing is the hardest thing. You never get to take a break.
I'll see your quote

I am pushing sixty. That is enough exercise for me. ~Mark Twain

and raise you

I get my exercise acting as pallbearer to my friends who exercise. ~Chauncey Depew
Ken