I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

errr....just ventin' dr650

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
code
DAMN Poohba

errr....just ventin' dr650

Post by code »

:wallbash: DAMN economy! found a 96 dr650 on cl for $2000. Let me ask you guys..is this a little much? I saw nada and kbb pricing for it and this guy is askin' about $300 more then the higher kbb for it. Low miles, pretty close to mint cond. Asked if he'd budge to 1500 and he kind of just chuckled. If I had cash to throw out the window, I might go after it... things are a lil' tight though.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: errr....just ventin' dr650

Post by Rut Row »

You don't want a 650 - really

get a 450 to complement the Strom

and yes, he's asking too much.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

thanks for the reassurance. I was actually leaning towards the yamaha wr450 if I can find one or if things come around next season in time to grab one up.
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

I am halvies on whether or not he's asking too much.. If the bike is in near mint shape - it's supposedly only worth 1700 on the high end. However, it's very possible someone who has 2k and want a dr650 will pony up the $$ .... Just like with sportbikes, where there is a 3k floor, I noticed that not allot of good dual sports in nice shape go for under 2k...

I even see similiar years dr350 going for 1700-2000 in nice shape... If he won't take 1600/1700 cash - I would wait, either he will come down or he wont... I would also check keintech - I know there was an issue with the late 90's grenading with the idler gear.. I think the 96/97 were ok - but it's something to consider... Personally, a 2003 or later for 3k is a better deal inho, but I understand you don't have the $$

I am of the other mind that a 650 single is a good addition - even if you have the WeeStrom.. I got rid of my dr350 because I felt bad for wringing it out when I needed to ride to the ride - it was that or trailer it (which can get old after a bit). A Dr650 or similiar bike give you versatility.. You can take it offroad - single track - but you can also ride it to the ride or home... Most of the latest 450cc singles are a big high strung - it require more frequent attention (oil changes. valve checks - etc) the exception being the new bmw 450 - but that ain't cheap... Fine if you are going to trailer it places alongside the XT - but if you are planning to ride it allot - I am big believer in reliability and multipurpose usage, unless you are planning to race... Notice for the ride/camp to Wva that Ken is taking the KLR vs the KTM....
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

It definently depends on what you want. I like the 450's. I've ridden Ken's 450 a few times. Great bikes for offroading and very dirt oriented dualsporting, but as Jason mentioned they aren't as good for road riding.
The 650's are great as more of true 50/50 dualsport. I'm a big fan of the second wheelset. Get a street oriented tire (or motard set), and a good knobby for offroading that you aren't gonna burn up riding on the road. Yes, I haul my bike in a truck.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
FourStroke

Post by FourStroke »

I agree with the 650s being great dualsports. ( 650l, dr650) I rode mine on single track & also commuted 30 miles of interestate going to work. Great all around bike. My 450 is working at anything over 50 mph. It's great offroad though.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Fourstroke nailed it; if you really want to ride just dirt with possibily the need for a short blip down the street now and then, get a 450 as the weight savings is definitely an advantage off-road. If you really want to ride "dual-sport", get a 650 (XR, XRL, DR). This past weekend I rode my XRL from Baltimore to Michaux, did the Michaux DS ride, and than home. I had as much fun on the back-roads getting there and back as I did riding the actual event. I actually feel bad for the guys with their 450's in their trailers droning down the interstate while I am zipping along on a beautiful, twisty back-country road.....