I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

AMA

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

AMA

Post by Laoch »

What's the deal with all the clubs putting on rides and requiring AMA membership?

I don't support the AMA, and it kind of pisses me off that these clubs are recruiting $$ for the AMA.

Yes, I'm a cheap bastige.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: AMA

Post by Rut Row »

One simple reason - insurance. AMA provides insurance policies for the event organizer.

Our spring reunion must always be a "spontaneous" event with no organizer for fear of the litigious slime in the world.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

The AMA protects the promoter as well as the property owners. Unfortunately the more frivolous law suits, and people looking to blame someone, the more there's a need for the AMA at events. I blame the lawers and courts for making me need an AMA membership for most events now.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

All it takes is one word-lawsuit. I can see where they help with insurance. But it's still a racket.

The club or group gets the AMA to sponsor the event and cover insurance and in return only AMA members can participate, for insurance purposes. So the AMA gets big membership numbers and folks get events to rode in.

I guess everybody gets what they want.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Every shoot rifles competitively? I used to shoot high power rifles. All the matches were NRA sanctioned. No membership, no shoot. You want to shoot competition, you join NRA.

NASA has the same racket on Rally Racing.

breaks of the game dude - small price to pay.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Kyler wrote:Every shoot rifles competitively? I used to shoot high power rifles. All the matches were NRA sanctioned. No membership, no shoot. You want to shoot competition, you join NRA.

True. I just wondered why the AMA thing was on every flier. :thumbup:

I used to be an NRA member, but they are always soliciting.
Bruce
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Kyler wrote:Every shoot rifles competitively? I used to shoot high power rifles. All the matches were NRA sanctioned. No membership, no shoot. You want to shoot competition, you join NRA.

Well in deference to Nasa - who inherited it from SCCA.. Their membership funds go directly back into the organization.. Insurance to run events is steep..

I run local road rallys with the ole man - and part of the fee's covers a day's membership to the SCCA - who covers any liability issues... It's not too bad as the events are on public roads at posted speed limit with time allowance.. However, if you have a performance event - like sandblast - where it's all about speed - the insurance is NUTZ... It's why to run such events as RallyWv is so expensive - a large chunk is for insurance - the other is for the map makers to have the GPS verified instructions (runs a few grand - without it the EU folks don't run). I honestly don't think he covers his costs to put it on... when it happend
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Dirty,

What's wrong with the AMA? I am not rich, but I have no problem giving the AMA $39 every year. I could care less about the racing and also the vintage motorcycles stuff and I am far from an AMA "fanatic". But what is very important to me is that there is an organization out there who is looking out for and protecting my right to ride my motorcycle, both on the street and off-road. Do I belive that all of my $39 goes for this; hell no. But even if it is just a couple bucks that makes it to keep an eye on the dumb ass local and national politicians as well as the very well organized tree hugger groups who think any type of "fun" should be banned or at a minimum, legislated, than it is worth it. My life, just like every body eles's is very busy with work, family , etc and even if I wanted to, I do not have the capability to go and lobby my Congressman as to why letting me ride my motorcycle is not evil. And if you do not believe that our right to ride our bikes is under constant attack, there are already towns which are banning motorcycles (mostly becuase of the ridiculously loud pipes the pirates insist on running) and Congress just designated 2 million acres as Wildnerness area where off-road riding formerly existed and is now prohibitted. IMHO, it comes down to that our opposition is very organized, and the best option I have currently to combat this is the AMA; it is not perfect but its the best we got.

Jay
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Dirty,

I also understand perfeclty what you say about the NRA. I give them money too for the same reason as the AMA; and I don't even own a gun, but I think it is important. However, the NRA sure can be annoying with trying to get more money out of ya.....

Jay
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Hey Jay- It wasn't my intention to start :bash: about the AMA. They are good for the sport.
It was more as to why membership was required at a lot of events.

:thumbup:
Bruce