I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

mdubya gets mo' dirty

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

mdubya gets mo' dirty

Post by mdubya »

I had an interesting day yesterday (Saturday) to say the least. I left the house early, bound for Harrisonburg, VA to trade my '01 KTM Duke for an '02 KTM 520 EXC. The Duke is a pretty bike, cosmetically in very good shape, clean, clear title, etc., but it has a sick motor (smoking and weazing, with a bad cough). The 520 was described as a "6" cosmetically, and an "8" mechanically. Got to H-burg and made the trade.

Just riding the 520 in the parking lot scared me. The thing has some serious booty. Once loaded up I headed north for the RRob compound. We unloaded the bike and gave it a good looking over, then decided it was time to see what she would do. It needs to be said that RRob has a beautiful place, and it is a dirt rider's dream. His immediate back yard consists of a jump and a training course. His outter reaching back yard consists of several trails cut through his woods with uphills, downhills, water crossings, bogs, extemely tight single track, roots, etc. His trails also link up to all the neighbors' trails for extended runs. At first, I was very intimidated by the 520. It is taller than the DRZ, and the motor is way more twitchy and explosive, with instant flat-slide throttle response. Some mdubya recalibration was in order. RRob took me around the "easy" loop, which is easy, but significantly more technical than anything at Green Ridge. Then we went for the more challenging loop. Again, since all this riding was more technical than I am used to, on a bike I was feeling intimidated by, I was riding like a little sissy girl. The second "challenging" loop out, I was feel things a little more. RRob took off up a steepish, snotty hill which had a double log crossing about 3/4 of the way up. I was going up the hill just fine so I decided to gas it and jump the logs. I hit them at a bit of an angle and caught about a foot of air. But the rear got kicked out by the angle, so I ended up doing a foot high table top before augering my shoulder and the bars into the soft (thankfully) hillside. I was still holding the bars, the bike was still running. The payoff was the bike was very easy and light to pick up. The "E" in the EXC paid off with me being able to just thumb the magic button to get started again.

I was still feeliing like the bike was a handful and the 520 motor to be a bit much for the tight woods we were riding. But as the day went on, I got more comfortable, and I began to shed my ingrained DRZ habits as I learned how to ride the KTM. By late afternoon, things were really starting to click and the big KTM was just plain fun. All the intimidation was fading away, and I was starting to feel the 520. It was working fine in the tighter stuff, and anywhere the trail opened up, a big squirt of throttle would have me giggling like a lunatic followed by panic braking trying to not run off the trail and deep into the woods.

I asked RRob to take it out and give it a good shake down. RRob is the master of his domain, and I never came anywhere near keeping him in sight all day. RRob first put the bike thru a work out in his "training" area, 4 or 5 laps. Then he headed for the woods. To hear the open pipe resonating off the hill side (f-ing loud! :shock: ) was beautiful. You could just about hear how much RRob was enjoying the bike by the exhaust note. He was gone for awhile, which to me was a good indication he was enjoying the ride.

When he came back, he was all grins and giving the bike much praise. Hopefully, he will chime in with his comments.

So, bottom line; trading the Duke for this 520 EXC was well worth it. My eyes are now open to what a "real" dirtbike can do. Lookout Green Ridge. :brows:

Photos by RRob:

Thanks to RRob for being a great host and always good company. I couldn't have enjoyed my day anymore than I did. :thumbup:
Last edited by mdubya on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: mdubya gets mo' dirty

Post by Bucho »

It looks pretty nice.
Is this gonna be a strict offroad bike, or will it see 17' wheels at some point?

When are you next headed to Greenridge? I could go on the 17th and meet you there for a day of riding.

Or shall we just show up at Rob's and ride bikes and shoot guns?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Way to go, Mike!

That sounds like a fan-fucking-tastic trade, and bike.

You're making me jealous. You know what happens when I get jealous, things get bought, smart/wise or not. :amazon: :rayof:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Bucho wrote:It looks pretty nice.
Is this gonna be a strict offroad bike, or will it see 17' wheels at some point?

When are you next headed to Greenridge? I could go on the 17th and meet you there for a day of riding.

Or shall we just show up at Rob's and ride bikes and shoot guns?
It is certainly more than satisfactory "as is". If I can get a plate for it (somehow), it will make dual sporting at Green Ridge and elsewhere more fun. RRob and I both agreed that it would make a killer supermoto track bike. I think supermoto on the street would be abusive to it and to the local traffic code, but I would never say never... :twisted:

I will have to see how my week shapes up, regardling the 17th.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Way to go, Mike!

That sounds like a fan-fucking-tastic trade, and bike.

You're making me jealous. You know what happens when I get jealous, things get bought, smart/wise or not. :amazon: :rayof:
Thanks Al. I really lucked out on this one. The bike is really nice mechanically. The suspension is awesome. Jetting is perfect. These bikes go for about $2000 to $2500. It shouldn't be hard to find a decent example.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

A simple "you suck" should be sufficient! :cheers: You guys will have to start packing a grill... the waits at intersections for us slow pokes is going to be a lot longer now.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

mdubya wrote:When he came back, he was all grins and giving the bike much praise.
Congratulations on the 520EXC! Wow. That is one sweet bike! My whole view of how an off-road bike is supposed to feel has been shattered by a 10 minute test ride. The suspension on your bike soaks up sharp edged bumps like they're not even there. Unbelievable. You're going to have a blast the next time at Green Ridge!

Here's wishing you many happy miles in the dirt on your new machine. Cheers. :cheers:
Rob

XR650L
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

25k till the next oil change right? :lol2:

I had an invite to see the mini moto track kenny and dennys are building today. Had to work, rats. It seems this year all the talk has been about the dirt so far. The TZ is up forsale with Big Al spoiling me once again with some choice welds on the broken exhaust, thanks. We'll see what I break my next bones on this summer?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

restukey wrote:25k till the next oil change right? :lol2:

I had an invite to see the mini moto track kenny and dennys are building today. Had to work, rats. It seems this year all the talk has been about the dirt so far. The TZ is up forsale with Big Al spoiling me once again with some choice welds on the broken exhaust, thanks. We'll see what I break my next bones on this summer?
Bring your Husky tag to the DAMN campout April 25-27, I will have a spare bike for you. You know as soon as you buy something for the dirt we will all start wanting ride to street and track. :harhar: ...For all you know there might be a super secret motard ride in the works right now..... :peep:

Oh yeah, I forgot, you need a cam chain.

So let's see, you need a mini bike for Kenny's mini track, and a dual sport woods bike, and a cam chain, and an sm track bike, and a truck to haul all this shit around....did I miss anything? :mrgreen:

Oil change at 25K? bahhh...I'll just change the motor, or trade it for something that runs.... :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

mdubya wrote: ...For all you know there might be a super secret motard ride in the works right now..... :peep:
:dirtdog: la la la la la, I'm not listening. It's so funny you think I was listening.