I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Don't mount your iphone to A MOTORCYCLE!

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I personally have never had an issue-
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/apple-warn ... otorcycles
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Don't mount your iphone to A MOTORCYCLE!

Post by smdub »

I think Phoo warned of this back when we were riding the KAT. There are definitely reports out there of vibration killing the delicate moving bits of both iphone & android cameras. I've never had a problem mounting my phone direct to a bike using QuadLocks (which is about as direct as it gets) but Quadlock makes a vibration damper mount now. I bought one and its installed on one of the bikes. Seems to be well designed/made. Has positive retention if one of the little rubbers fail. Will prob order a few more for the other bikes.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Firebolter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am I personally have never had an issue-
It says “high power motorcycles”. So Im fine with my WR250R right
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I looked at smdub's quad lock mount at Bill's ADV ride this year and changed over to that with the inductive charger and the vibration isolator. I've never had any problems with my phones mounted up but hey, why not be thorough. With the newer phones being pretty much weather proof, I keep mine mounted up and charged on the go and use it for guidance as much as my GPS now.

I guess Apple's getting enough warranty claims on them to put out the bulletin.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Bucho wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:39 pm
Firebolter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am I personally have never had an issue-
It says “high power motorcycles”. So Im fine with my WR250R right
Apple said the low-frequency vibrations caused by low-power and electric motorcycles can also be damaging and advises using a vibration dampening mount on these types of vehicles and limiting the duration of the phone's exposure to them.
Huh, I never really considered my WR250R a "Low-power" motorcycle but whatever...
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

smdub wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:12 pm I think Phoo warned of this back when we were riding the KAT.
That is correct. The vibrations destroyed the image stabilization mechanism, which was "funny" because when I turned the camera on, it would literally buzz, then fail. The stabilization was actually mechanical, I guess. But time has passed and image stabilization is usually done by having a sensor that is larger than the image that is stored, and the stabilization is done through software. That Apple is announcing this *NOW*, when everyone else already solved it and aren't having problems, is ludicrous.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
mantakos
DAMN n00b

Post by mantakos »

phoo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:34 pm ... But time has passed and image stabilization is usually done by having a sensor that is larger than the image that is stored, and the stabilization is done through software. That Apple is announcing this *NOW*, when everyone else already solved it and aren't having problems, is ludicrous...
Doing mechanical image stabilization in hardware ("OIS") is a common feature in high-end phones, both Apple and Android, and continues to appear on newly released phones. Software based stabilization (EIS) is useful for video, OIS is useful for both video and photos. OIS is particularly useful for low-light photos.

My "handlebar GPS phone" is a cheap, crappy old Android phone. My "good" phone stays safely tucked away.
-harry
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

My iphone overheats due to the sun and goes in limp mode
Ordered the zumo xt, haven’t purchased a garmin since 2007. Thought I was done with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Vibration can kill anything mechanical. Even if using electronic stabilization, most cameras still have a focus mechanism that can be affected.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

mantakos wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 am Doing mechanical image stabilization in hardware ("OIS") is a common feature in high-end phones, both Apple and Android, and continues to appear on newly released phones.
https://www.androidauthority.com/image- ... n-1087083/

Sorry, I can't hear you over my fingers in my ears and chanting "Apple sucks." ;)

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200