I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bad ass Caddy

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Bad ass Caddy

Post by Firebolter »

I like to go to car manufacturers websites and "build" cars the way I would want them. My Brother in law has a CTS-V and that car is pretty righteous. Basically a Corvette powertrain with a caddy body. You can get a new one with the "BLACKWING" package that comes with a 6.2L and either a 10speed auto or 6 spd manual.

Here's the stats:
TRIM: V-SERIES BLACKWING
6.2L SUPERCHARGED V8 DI ENGINE WITH 10-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
MSRP from $88,165 †MSRP excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. See dealer for details.
6.2L Supercharged V8 DI engine
Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection
Active Fuel Management™
668 hp and 659 lb-ft of torque
Paired with a 6-speed manual transmission or available 10-speed automatic transmission
10-speed automatic transmission
Electronically controlled transmission with Electronic Precision Shift
Tuned for track performance capability and daily driver refinement
Includes Adaptive Remote Start, steering wheel mounted Alloy paddle shift controls, Buckle to Drive, rotary-jog infotainment controller and Automatic Vehicle Hold
May require additional optional equipment

Pretty slick for a nice comfort/luxury car. Alot of cars come like that now with options to take a traditional car like a Sedan/SUV/Wagon and add performance packages to them. Another one I absolutely love is the MB AMG E63 wagon. Those things are so awesome! But alas, just can't bring myself to spend 100K or more for a car. It's funny in the 80's, the Gov cracked down and all of the really bad ass cars started to fade away and then the 90's saw the re-birth and now we are full circle back to having alot of options for nicely equipped (power wise I mean) options that offer performance and refinement. All though the tech today obviously is alot cleaner/greener than the 80's. Good stuff-
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Bad ass Caddy

Post by Rut Row »

I had an '03 CTS that I loved. Always wanted the "V".
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Rut Row wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:58 am I had an '03 CTS that I loved. Always wanted the "V".
The car we drove to PikesPeak? That was a great car
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:26 pm
Rut Row wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:58 am I had an '03 CTS that I loved. Always wanted the "V".
The car we drove to PikesPeak? That was a great car
yup. that's the one.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Interesting the manual option is back for 2022 in both the CT4-V and CT5-V. :thumbup: They are butt-ugly compared to the CTS-V though :frustrated: I tried to buy a V about 5-years ago but they had discontinued the manual in the new body style and all the prior model ones I could find in manual were black. I don't buy black cars.

I'm getting the itch to have a daily driver car again. Would still prefer a sedan but the selection w/ a manual transmission is quickly dwindling :censored: If I get another coupe it currently its a tossup between a 2019+ Miata ND (which I'd probably put a turbo in) and Camaro SS 1LE.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I've wanted a Miata ever since they first came out. When I was a teenager, I had a neighbor that would throw me the keys to his 1971 MGB and tell me to not come home until dinner time. I always felt like a Miata was that experience but without the frequent repair jobs :) I finally scratched that itch, after owning several much more high performance sports cars, with a 2021 GT soft top 6-speed and I'm hear to say this car is as much, maybe more fun to drive than the others I've owned.

I really wanted a convertible street legal go cart so I looked at the Fiat 124 and Mini. I even went looking for a convertible Mustang or Camero but couldn't find what I was looking for and decided to stay tru to that MGB experience. I couldn't be happier with it and sometimes find myself out for a long drive with the top down and the A/C blasting instead of out riding my GS.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:47 pm Would still prefer a sedan but the selection w/ a manual transmission is quickly dwindling
That's where I was kinda, wanted a sedan/daily driver but something fun and sporty and not manual. My Focus RS was fun but I got tired of having to shift. True, choices are limited, there are some really nice sedans out there with killer specs (like the caddy). I wanted a sedan but didn't want a full manual. I like the 4 door body style on alot of the newer cars. Some of these new MCT's are pretty slick. Mine is a 9 speed. When I want to get in it, just grab the paddles and go. Else just cruise.
Lots of cool bikes---
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a miata as a toy once I retire. I expect to get a hard top but I've got a little bit of time to figure that out.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Firebolter wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:27 amThat's where I was kinda, wanted a sedan/daily driver but something fun and sporty and not manual. My Focus RS was fun but I got tired of having to shift. True, choices are limited, there are some really nice sedans out there with killer specs (like the caddy). I wanted a sedan but didn't want a full manual. I like the 4 door body style on alot of the newer cars. Some of these new MCT's are pretty slick. Mine is a 9 speed. When I want to get in it, just grab the paddles and go. Else just cruise.
Can you get the modern automatics to be in the right gear going into a corner? The paddles let you control that? I haven't driven a performance automatic...
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Mostly.

The twin clutches will shift like a manual. I've driven a couple of these and they'd be 'good enough' for a daily. These too are dwindling as their first gear performance can be a little jerky (think parallel parking) and automatic drivers don't like it. Audi has gone mostly back to torque converter automatics because of this. Porsche PDK is still twin clutch.

Mercedes uses a twin clutch in the bigger AMG cars. But the baby C63 AMG I like soo much has a torque onverter (to make first gear smooth) and then automatic planetary gears w/ clutch packs. It gets absolutely panned in magazine reviews. I think they call it a MCT (multi-clutch-transmission which doesn't make tons of sense as regular automatics have multiple clutches too.) So the specs says it shifts fast - yes, once it gets around to shifting. But it takes a long time between the lever pull and the actual shift. Doing a 3 point reversing turn takes ages.

That said, even a well programmed slushbox can perform 'well enough' if you aren't a diehard manual guy like me. My wife had a '03(?) Boxster for a couple years w/ the 5HP19 auto trans. It's trans had 256 shift maps and would learn your driving style. I even took it to the (then new) Shenandoah trak @ Summit. It did quite well. It tried SO HARD to act like a manual. If you were on the road flogging it, it would even use max engine braking coming up to a stoplight. For an automatic, it had a heart of gold. But in the end it broke a circlip retaining ring (like TONS of those transmissions in Porsches, Audis, VWs, and BMW) and lost a gear. That was the endo of that car. Since the failure rate was soo high, there were no used ones available. I put one of two used trans I could hunt down on the 'net and it died about a month later :( I threw in the towel and sold it as a roller. It further cemented my hate for auto trans.

And then there are POS auto trans w/ manual mode like my Ram van. In manual mode it doesn't listen to you. Will still downshift on its own freewill even if you are in manual. The 'manual mode' is only a top gear selection limter apparently. The 10-spd auto Ford Transit van we recently rented didn't seem to do that but we only drove up to Philly so no steep hills to try it on.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee