I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Morning Edition e-news for Boom Boom

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
aai
DAMN Poohba

Re: Morning Edition e-news for Boom Boom

Post by aai »

smdub wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 pm I'm allow to talk smack. I've designed and driven more electric vehicles that DAMN near everyone up until just a couple years ago. Over the last 21yrs I've been head designer for a gazillion watts of solar controllers too.

Electrics and renewables are the future. But in getting there you have to break a few eggs to make the omlettes. They have to use fossil fuels until they build out the infrastructure.

EVs make a TON of sense for commuters. Not so much for ADV or camping where the whole point is to go far from the grid.
agreed, but just a weekend camp and ride at WV or PA is a good start. Stephen how far are we on solar panels? trickle charging while driving. Im clueless on all this stuff but I do pay attention. Jeep just came out with a hybrid 4XE, that we are considering trading our Rubicon in on. 2.0 liter turbo backed with E-motor. Puts it in v8 class torque, and of course the extra travel range. disclaimer: all for the renewable energy etc, but not at the expense of destroying the fuel the current economy is running on.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

You will never run a car on solar panels. The sunlight hitting the earth is 1kW/m^2. A Camry is ~9m^2 footprint = 9kW. At 30% cell efficiency = 2.7kW if the sun was directly overhead. That's less than 4hp. No car can cruise on that. When I was in the solar car competition we could run on ~2kW but those are SUPER low drag and rolling resistance cars.
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 pm I'm allow to talk smack. I've designed and driven more electric vehicles than darn near everyone up until just a couple years ago. Over the last 21yrs I've been head designer for a gazillion watts of solar controllers too.

Electrics and renewables are the future. But in getting there you have to break a few eggs to make the omlettes. They have to use fossil fuels until they build out the infrastructure.

EVs make a TON of sense for commuters. Not so much for ADV or camping where the whole point is to go far from the grid.

I agree, they are the future. The whole modular van/truck/camper idea is pretty cool.
Just not quite “there” yet.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

And I thought my van was ugly... looks like a devil dog with wheels.
Now drop in a turbo diesel and my mind might be changed.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Agreed, that one is fugly.
The originals were much cooler
Stephen (not Steve) - '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee