I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Pork Butt weekend

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Pork Butt weekend

Post by Twist »

About 7 lbs of pork shoulder (why do they call it pork butt when it comes from the front shoulders?) went on the Big Green Egg at 8a this morning. Should be ready to pull about 7p this evening. I gave it a heavy dusting of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom slathered in yellow mustard to make a nice bark with a little kick to it.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Pork Butt weekend

Post by Laoch »

Smells good. See you in a few hours :eats:
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

After about 7.5 hours, I pulled it off the BGE, spritzed with apple cider vinegar and tightly wrapped it in foil. I had a long zoom call this afternoon so I cheated and put it in a 300 degree oven. It won't take on any more smoke at that point and doesn't change the outcome - just how attentive I have to be to the fire. So now it's been in the oven for 2.5 more hours so time to make the sauce.

Sautéed onions in melted real butter:

Then added a few special ingredients while under high heat:

Turned the heat down as low as it'll go and added the rest of the saucy ingredients (and poured myself a taste - it makes the sauce better):

And finally, I removed my slow smoked creation from the oven to temp test it. Looking for it to feel like I'm poking the probe into a melted sack of butter and about 205 degrees internal temp. Check and check. Now the really hard part of the whole day - waiting.

So I'm sitting here with my glass of bourbon letting it rest for about an hour before it's unveiled. It's been over 2.5 hours since I've seen it but must resist the temptation to open it up before all those delicious fatty juices are reabsorbed.

Another 45 minutes and a made from scratch corn bread goes into a stinkin' hot cast iron skillet.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Sounds super good
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

Oh yeah! :eats: make some black beans and rice Cuban style. :drool:
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articl ... k-shoulder
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I love my Big Green Egg. One of these days I'm going to step up to a side loading smoker so that I can do several of these at a time, multi-briskets, and a bunch of racks of pork ribs but in the mean time the Green Egg is killin' it.