I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Another Bimmer.

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Another Bimmer.

Post by juddspaintballs »

The TKC 80 will probably get chewed up fast on the rear. Big power, soft tire. It was stock on the 1090 and lasted about 3000 miles.

I use this Chase Harper tail bag on my 1090. It normally lives on the back seat because I also always run a Pelican 1550 as the top box. The CH bag holds stuff that the Pelican doesn't, especially since I'm often heading to work on the bike. No complaints.

Chase Harper USA 4200 Hideaway Tail Trunk
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Nice looking bag. I ordered one. If it doesn’t work on the BMW, I can try it on other bikes, or give it to my son for his BRP.
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Laoch wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:53 pm First thing was to add an extended brake pedal tip. Stock is DAMN near useless.

Next is bar risers. I usually put these on all my bikes, I have short arms. My junk is all up on the tank, so an extra inch rise on the bars should help. I'd like to do Rox risers with the vibration dampening, but they will have to wait.
Great choice. BMWs have a sort of athletic forward reach position that's fine for a twisty road but not so much for standing on the pegs. I like the Rox pivot risers that give me more forward and back adjustment.
I need a decent tail bag. Just to carry little crap like tire plug kit, inflators, etc when I don't have the cases on. Any ideas?
I really like the Wolfman options especially now that all their bags are weatherproof. They make one in just about every size and shape anyone could want.
Electrics- it has the din? plug thingy. It looks like it is a Powerlet brand, so maybe more than 5 amps? I'm not sure how to tell. I heard oem was 5 amps and would not run heated gear?
Take a close look at how that plug is wired. Many/most BMWs have one of those wired as a fused straight connection to the battery and that's the one I'd use for electric clothes, charging the battery, or running 12v pumps and such.
The battery has a spare plug in, actually clipped on top of the battery, that is supposed to be for OEM gps. I ordered a connector and will see if that is the case.
I like the canbus setups from Hex and Denali- but I can't see a connection for it on this bike . More research needed.
It's been a few years since I've researched it so I'm not up on all the EXcan stuff but I've been really happy with my Rowe PDM60 for power distribution. It's been bullet proof on several bikes I've owned.
Tires- I'll probably get a set of TKC 80s. I like them and have had them on other bikes.
Great 50:50 tires but I found the Michelin Wilds to be just as good on and off road and last longer - and more expensive.
Need engine bars and bash plate, lights. They will come later. Maybe taller wind screen.
I really like the Altrider protection parts. They get put to the test on my 1200GS more often than I'd like to admit and have done the job. The only complaint I have is that the bash plate gets nasty on oil changes and ends up adding about 10 minutes of clean up to the job.

I'm going to be coming through you neck of the woods next week. I'm meeting a friend out in Harpers Ferry and riding the Mid-Atlantic BDR north through PA for a few days. Goes through Michaux and Bald Eagle. We'll be on a multi-day ride and likely camping but you're welcome fo come ride with us when we're passing through. Let me know and I'll give you a shout.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

PDM 60 is so easy to install and gives you six circuits up to 60 amps total. No fuses to mess with, just reset it. You can program the circuits for different amp ratings and install is super easy. This is the best way to add stuff to the bike and not have a bunch of wires running to the battery with proper amps and circuit protection. Also has a time delay for turn on so all the battery cranking amps goes to starting the bike before accessories get juice.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/80121/R ... gJlj_D_BwE
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I'm going to be coming through you neck of the woods next week. I'm meeting a friend out in Harpers Ferry and riding the Mid-Atlantic BDR north through PA for a few days. Goes through Michaux and Bald Eagle. We'll be on a multi-day ride and likely camping but you're welcome fo come ride with us when we're passing through. Let me know and I'll give you a shout.
I missed this. Was it last week or....??

I got the gps hooked into the factory harness with an oem canbus.

So , canbus....interesting. Eliminates fuses and runs all electric crap thru the computer to avoid overheating or blowing fuses. Cool stuff.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm So , canbus....interesting. Eliminates fuses and runs all electric crap thru the computer to avoid overheating or blowing fuses. Cool stuff.
until it's a can'tbus ... troubleshooting is a b*tch I hear :think:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Laoch wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm
I missed this. Was it last week or....??

I got the gps hooked into the factory harness with an oem canbus.

So , canbus....interesting. Eliminates fuses and runs all electric crap thru the computer to avoid overheating or blowing fuses. Cool stuff.

Yeah, we were through there last week on Tuesday. We bailed out of the MADBR Wednesday afternoon due to the impending biblical weather coming on Thursday. It was a great ride while it lasted. Leaves at the peak with no traffic at all. I don't think we saw another soul anytime we were off the pavement.

The problem for me with the CANBUS is something an old mechanic told me when I was young - "you have to be smarter than the thing you're operating." CANBUS has some non-intuitive behaviors around when it decides to be overloaded and how long it stays on after you turn off your bike. It's also quirky to charge the bike through a CANBUS connector and requires an expensive battery charger.

I have one powerlet style outlet on my GS that is a fused pigtail straight to the battery that I use for my heated gear (don't want to overload the CANBUS), for running my air pump, and for charging the bike during long periods of non-use. For all my farkles, I installed a power distribution module that's powered off a fused battery connection and provides 6 independent circuits. My camera system, P3 Photon Blasters, and accessory charging circuits all come off the PDM60. There's newer versions of this out now and the thing I like about the Rowe PDM60 is that it's weather/waterproof. I have mine mounted low in front of the shock and it's been submerged many times and is still ticking nearly 5 years after install.

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I’d prefer a remote fuse box deal like that to a canbus system.

Tires...it’s hard to find tires in the sizes I want. Some are bias for the front only and rear radials. Or the other way around.
I’m not sure about mixing bias/radial.
So, this limits me on tire choices.

Looks like anakee adventures will work.
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I saw an Anakee Adventure on the front of an Africa Twin last week. It looked very road oriented. It was the next tire I was considering for the front of my 1090, but after seeing it in person, I'll try the Anakee Wild instead.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

The problem is the Wild is offered in radial for the front and bias for the rear in the sizes I need.
Bruce