I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

what are your previously owned bikes

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

what are your previously owned bikes

Post by hondahawkrider »

Mine are in order...
Starting in 97
96 Suzuki Savage ls650 -
83 Honda vf750F interceptor (1st vfr and 1st street legal sb)
99 Yamaha vstar1100 custom - sold the vf and ls to get
3 seperate 78/79 sr500's over the early years
89 Honda Hawk GT - sold the sr500's to get - bike was mint and tons of fun...
98 Honda Vtr1000 superhawk - totaled after 4 years :cry:
74 Honda cb550 - Cafe Racer..
01 Yamaha Fz1 - vtr replacement
89 Honda NX650
84 Honda Xr250r - traded the nx with blown motor - lent it to friend who killed it - didn't know bout adv and didn't have anyone to ride with - so i sold it... :cry:
91 Suzuki Bandit 400 ... Never should have sold it cheap - but was going thru divorce #2 and it needed cosmetic work - but it ran... Didn't want a project at the time so I got rid of it - cuz Im an idiot
01 Suzuki sv650 - always wanted one and got it for a steal
05 drz400sm - sold the GT and SV to fund... Loved that bike - fcr39 carb and scorpion - it was the strongest running drz i have ridden....
03 KTM SXC - Motard - sold the FZ1 to fund - as the Drz while street awesome - wasn't track awesome.. Now has 18l tank and fcr41 carb... It's a beeeassssst...
98 Suzuki Dr350se - found advrider and entry level dirt bike... Sold for bigger d/s bike
07 KTM 990 Adventure - needed big bike - love it.. Emission crap yanked - fmf pipes - 16t .. LOVE THIS BIKE :bow: :bow:
97/8 KTM 620 Adventure - needs some TLC - but my bigger back woods bike to ride.. to the offroad ride...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
Teethgrinder

Re: what are your previously owned bikes

Post by Teethgrinder »

The first was a brown 82(?) Honda Silverwing GL500. Awesome fun. Shaft drive, cushy seat, and it could take the merciless beatings of my inexperienced shifting and crashing.

Then I had an 84 Nighthawk 750. To this day, that was one of my favorite bikes.

After that, it's been mostly sportbikes. In Chicago, the riding scene was always drag racing. Everything is flat and straight.

88 Slingshot GSXR
94 GSXR750 w/907 kit
95 GSXR750 with NO 907 kit
95 GSXR750 with 1100 motor punched to 1340
98 CBR900RR (Started to get away from drag racing here)
01 TL1000R (Started to get away from inline fours here)

Then a hiatus on machines. I moved to Md in 05. In the meantime, I started developing a deeper appreciation for motorbikes as a whole. I began to be interested in other genres as well.

I bought a 67 Triumph TR6, followed by a 68. One was chopped up and made a bobberchopper. The other in different states of disrepair/cannibalization for the other. Poor move. I regret that. I should have kept both and restored them. Next time.

Then I got the DRZ400SM. It's just a good, fun machine.

After that, I bought the Ducati 999. Had to. I told myself I would get a Ducati one day, when I was more successful or secure, maybe later in life. I was shopping around for a sportbike, and found this one "in the crate" for a relative steal after the release of the 1098. Call me goofy, but I really like the Terblanche design. After owning it, I like it even more. And I got it for a little less than the price of a comparable Japanese machine. (However, I am still eyeballing the new CBR1000).

More to come, I am sure. It will never end. :ride:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I feel like a retread :dry:

'71 Triumph Tiger
'75 HD Sportster
'00 KLR
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Starting in 1999
83 Yamaha Virago 500 (would love to ride one of these again, it seemed awesome at the time, or maybe a 920)
92 Yamaha Virago 750

96 BMW R1100R 22,000 miles in 9 monthes and them sold it, (really stupid)

99 Suzuki DR350 bought to learn to ride dirt, but also commuted on it (beginnings of supermoto fantasys)

01 BMW R1150GS, also great bike, had to sell for financial reasons

02 Suzuki Ozark 250 (I know its a quad) My bro talked me into it after a bad wreck on the DR350 in the dirt

04 Suzuki DR650, my favorite bike

03 Yamaha TTR125L, for the wife, sort of

03 Yamaha YZ250f

01 Kawasaki Concours
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

At age 12, the first "bike" I bought was a Rupp mini-bike with a 5-hp Techumseh motor. The whole thing was in a box, it was literally a basket case. I got it for $13. That'll teach my parents to give me an allowance. :harhar: I got it all put together, and it just... wouldn't.... run. I got my enginerd Dad involved (I'd done the whole rebuild by myself up to that point) and he taught me about the Otto Cycle -- intake, compression, ignition, exhaust. More memorably, suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Long story short, the jackass that sold it to me had mixed up a "counter-clockwise" running cam with the "clockwise" motor, so it was opening the intake when it should have been opening the exhaust, and vice-versa. $36 in parts later, I was terrorizing the 'hood.

Next bike was a real turd: an Arctic Cat mini-bike. 2-smoke motor, automatic trans, about as fast a motorized handicap scooter.

My first "full size" bike was a '73 Yamaha DT 125 2-stroke dual-purpose bike. Another turd, heavy like a battleship, reliable like an unreliable thing. The wiring harness regularly caught fire.

'75 Honda XL 125 - this is the bike that initiated my love of thumpers. I tried to convert it back into a street bike, but don't remember why I didn't ride it as such, probably too slow for the street. This was my last dirt bike for a while.

First street bike, '73 Honda CB750. Too DAMN fast for a first bike, so I put a Kerker pipe, jet kit & individual filters on it, and did the suspension. Whoohoo, sweet red Marzochi shocks! Rolling burnouts, wheelies, speeding tickets, again and again and again. Nearly lost my license on that bike. Crashed it 3 or 4 times, nothing too harsh.

'78 Kawasaki KZ 750 TWIN -- yes, vertical parallel twin. This is the bike that Kawasaki would like to forget they ever made. Evil handling, heavy, no brakes to speak of. Got it for nearly free, fixed it up, sold it at a profit.

'80 Suzuki GS1000S - what can I say? If fast is good, faster, smoother, more comfortable, better handling is better. I put 65,000 miles on that bike before it was stolen. One of the best all-around bikes I've owned. Nearly killed myself crashing it up in Columbia MD - 4 days in the hospital. Took months to rebuild the bike.

'83 Suzuki Katana 1100 - my favorite bike of all, or at least the fondest memories. I still think it's beautiful! Bought it new-in-the-crate in '89, spent hours lovingly waxing and polishing it. Again, faster being better, I treated it to exhaust, cams, jet kit, Falicon clutch basket, Barnett clutch pack, and suspension. Put 35,000 on it before the clutch shaft thread stripped and totaled the trans. Just sold the rusting hulk last year, but I'd kept the bodywork inside, so that was all mint.

A '70 Yamaha DT 250, a precursor model to the RD 250. I found it in the trash -- literally. I got it running for next to no money. Ran the piss out of it, forgot to put oil in the injector tank one time & blew it up. Gave it away. It was a strange companion to the Katana.

'94 Honda VFR 750, no love affair there, just never clicked with it. Stolen.

'97 Yamaha FZR 1000. Whoohoo. Modern bike, modern handling, FAST. Loved it! I rode it cross-country. I don't remember how many miles I put on it, but roadracing crashes & the resulting plates & screws made the riding posture uncomfortable.

I had FIVE '88-'91 Honda Hawk NT 650 GT race bikes. It was a love affair, it wasn't rational. 65hp, suspension, weighed 285 lbs, and sounded like an insane hell hound barking through a reverse cone megaphone. It was stolen and recovered, all hacked to bits. I just sold 3 chassis, 4 motors, 8 wheels, and 10 boxes of parts to my old racing partner. It was a fucking sad day to see it go.

http://alanzina.zenfolio.com/p915234467/

I had an FZ600 basket case, and a strange early '70s Suzuki 3-cylinder 250cc 2-stroke. They were thrown into a deal when I bought a race bike up in Connecticut, traded both to different people.

Pitbike: Honda ZB 50 -- sitting in my basement, free if anyone wants it. The case was cracked by the previous owner, I welded it, but never put it back together. Motor needs a thorough cleaning!

'83 Honda Ascot 500 thumper. Got it as a basket case in trade for some racing fairings. I built it for a now-ex girlfriend, but didn't get it running before we broke up. Low priority project, but cool.

Derbi GPR 50 - What a hoot. 75cc kit, 63 mph felt like flying.

'89 Honda CR250 - package deal with the Derbi. I had it for 3 months, rode it twice, it got stolen. Fuckers burned a hole in my deck torching off the chain.

'94 Honda XR650L - the Hot Rod XR. Built just beyond an inch of it's life. It made a very unreliable 56hp according to the Battley dyno. Broke a buncha shit in the top end, awaiting a rebuild. Awesome bike, it would go sideways at 60 on a dirt road. Heavy pig, tho.

'99 Kawasaki ZRX 1100. Another great bike, long story. Still have it, it's all been stripped, powder coated, the front suspension is off an '02 R1, the motor is a 1200 w/ cams. Should be nice when I get it painted & reassembled.

'05 Suzuki DRZ 400 SM. Currently the only bike I own that runs. First one was stolen. Finally got smart and bought a shipping container to keep my shit in. Fucking Wheaton.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

1982 Yamaha Seca 550- bought new in 1985 as a left over model. Crashed twice in the first 3 months of ownership. Never had another street crash until I bought the DRZ in 2002 (beware the DRZ! :twisted: ). Shortly after purchase I started riding it as a courier on the mean streets of DC, using my BMX skills to learn to survive intense street riding. I used the bike for courier work on and off over the next 5 years. Mods included removing the air box in favor of individual filters, stage 3 jetting set up by Scotty Beach, former H-D AMA Superbike crew chief, race compound Metzlers, nasty Spec II race pipe, which combined with Beach's jetting, could not keep paint on the header. I must have bead blasted and repainted it about a million times. Clubman bars. Spec II rear sets. Cut down "Gunfighter" style seat. Marzocchi shocks, Progessive fork springs, "upgraded" swing arm bushings (it didn't even have real bearings!) from nylon to brass, tapered steering bearings. 25,000 miles on it when sold.

1988 Yahama FZR750R-I didn't actually own this bike, but it was in my possesion for quite sometime, holding it for a friend when he had nowhere to keep it. It had the full superbike kit motor and was an ex-racebike. It forever ruined my relationship with my little Seca 550. It was wickedly fast and needed to be man handled to steer it. I was kind of glad to see that one go. I probably would n't around to type this if I had that thing around much longer.

1994 Ducati 900SS/CR- I still have this one. It has a newly rebuilt from the crank up, 944 motor, fully adjustable SP forks, Ohlins shock, and a Marchesini magnesium 5 spoke front wheel. I haven't ridden it since 2006, and that was only to get the 944 motor running. It has about 60,000 miles on it and is the bike which renewed my moto obsession. I have about a million crazy stories to tell about this bike.

1998 Ducati 748 -bought this when the 900 was diagnosed with a cracked frame (headstock, replaced in full by Ducati after 3.5 years of ownership). This 748 is the first bike I rode on the race track, DOCC Grattan 1998. I crashed it first session out chasing a 125 GP bike and trying to get my kneedown. I put 12,000 miles on the bike in the first six months and it became the poster bike for Ducati 748 rocker gate, as I turned the bike in to Battley's each November for full replacement of all rockers and cams. The third time in, Ducati paid for Megacycle to refinish the rockers while washing their hands of further responsibility. The Megacycle rockers lasted the duration. I went on to have the motor built into an 853 by Bruce Myers of BCM. Had the suspension done by Traxxion (Ohlins rear), carbon bits, Marchesini mags, Arrow WSS full system, which was a rare piece and revered by the Pro Thunder crowd. Did countless racetrack miles and kneescraping street miles on this bike. I rode it at Grattan, Mosport, Summit Point, VIR, and Barber. It had about 48,000 miles on it when I traded it in 2004.

1998 Suzuki GS 500- This was the gf's bike which she crashed twice (didn't like to turn right :nono: ). This was such a great little bike. I rode it more than she ever did. Once we got it, I would use it for street riding and leave the 748 in race trim. I used it to stalk bigger sport bikes and embarrass the hell out of them. Its upright and comfortable riding position really changed my view on street riding. Current owner; wife of DAMN forum memeber Superchicken!

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400 S- (new in Sept. '02) this bike, like the others before, changed everthing for me. I bought it due to my good buddy Chris Edwards having the E model and telling great tales of trail riding at Green Ridge. I also bought it to convert to SM as my obsession with that sect of the sport grew. It allowed me to leave the 748 in race trim and to join the gf on mellow street rides with her on the GS 5hunny. The DRZ quickly changed my focus in a new direction. I loved exploring areas unaccessable on the Ducatis. Once I added the ProTaper bars and triple clamp to open the riding position and added the SM wheels, and the Ti Yosh pipe, the bike became a full on obsession. I no longer wanted to ride a sportbike on a roadracing track and gave that up in less than a year. I put 18,000 miles on the little DRZ in a year. It currently has close to 45,000 miles on it and remains my #1 ride, though it desperately needs a replacement.

2003 Vertemati S501- I traded my aging and well used 748 for this bike straight up. It was in "as new" condition with only a couple of hours on the clock, if that. It is fun and beautiful and I don't get to ride it enough (track only). It is rare and it has some artwork like qualities to it.

2001 KTM Duke Chili Red model-I bought this bike to take some of the burden off the DRZ. This bike is a fuggin' beast. When I bought it, it was stone stock and vibrated so badly, you could not see clearly when riding it due to blurred vision. Within an hour of owning the bike, I had the jetting adjusted to ease the vibes and to substantially increase low and mid range power. I also adjusted the bars and levers from the awkwards potion they were in fron the previous owner. First time I gassed it up out of the neighborhood, I wheelied it right thru the gears (I was still struggling to shift while wheelying on the DRZ). It is heavy feeling and thick compared to the DRZ. But it has a very comfortable seat. Once I put decent tires on it, it really started to rail. It was more of a handfiul than the DRZ to ride, but the ridiculously long and easy to do wheelies were beyond addicting. I don't even know how to describe how easy the bike is/was to wheelie. It is a beatiful bike too. I think I am trading it this Saturday for something else, though. I put 22,000 miles on this one.

1967 Triumph TR6 chopper- I inherited this one from my brother when he was killed on his Harley in 2003. He got this bike in '69 or '70 when I was just a couple of years old. It wasn't chopped then but had an extended front end. This started my moto obsession. I would sit on the tank and hold onto the narrow part of the bars as my brother would ride wheelies up and down our street and we would go for rides up Connecticut Avenue or out to Lake Needwood. My brother and his friends chopped it and were rebuilding it when a bunch of the parts were stolen in the early 70's. It was stored in my parents basement or in his attic, for years. He was finally getting enough part together to do the full rebuild around the time he was killed. So now I have it; rolling chassis and motor, with several boxes of parts. One day, someday, I will get this thing put back together. It obvisouly holds a very special, very sentimental place in my heart.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

mdubya wrote:
1988 Yahama FZR750R-I didn't actually own this bike, but it was in my possesion for quite sometime, holding it for a friend when he had nowhere to keep it. It had the full superbike kit motor and was an ex-racebike. It forever ruined my relationship with my little Seca 550. It was wickedly fast and needed to be man handled to steer it. I was kind of glad to see that one go. I probably would n't around to type this if I had that thing around much longer.
I remember riding this bike around my neighborhood, and to this day it was the most scared I have been of a bikes power. Did it have 1/4 turn throttle? There was no keeping the front wheel on the ground, whatsoever.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

restukey wrote:
mdubya wrote:
I remember riding this bike around my neighborhood, and to this day it was the most scared I have been of a bikes power. Did it have 1/4 turn throttle? There was no keeping the front wheel on the ground, whatsoever.
It had a bank of flat slide carbs with velocity stacks, no filters, which gave it a pretty aggressive throttle response.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Louge

Post by Louge »

mdubya wrote: 1998 Ducati 748 -bought this when the 900 was diagnosed with a cracked frame (headstock, replaced in full by Ducati after 3.5 years of ownership). This 748 is the first bike I rode on the race track, DOCC Grattan 1998. I crashed it first session out chasing a 125 GP bike and trying to get my kneedown. I put 12,000 miles on the bike in the first six months and it became the poster bike for Ducati 748 rocker gate, as I turned the bike in to Battley's each November for full replacement of all rockers and cams. The third time in, Ducati paid for Megacycle to refinish the rockers while washing their hands of further responsibility. The Megacycle rockers lasted the duration. I went on to have the motor built into an 853 by Bruce Myers of BCM. Had the suspension done by Traxxion (Ohlins rear), carbon bits, Marchesini mags, Arrow WSS full system, which was a rare piece and revered by the Pro Thunder crowd. Did countless racetrack miles and kneescraping street miles on this bike. I rode it at Grattan, Mosport, Summit Point, VIR, and Barber. It had about 48,000 miles on it when I traded it in 2004.

mdubya almost did me in going nose-to-tail down Thurston Road on this one. Several corners in he dropped a G**DAMN titanium puck down. In .00001 second I had a blinding stream of st*rs coming past my head. I knew the corner (and the giganto oak tree directly ahead) but had to rely on the Arrow WSS stereo until recovering my vision. :rant: The brain chemistry got a tad altered ...

The 748 made it to Turn 3 of Summit Point's first session one morning before morphing into a dirt mushroom cloud. :amazon:

The Mille has spread her DNA across the planet ... part out value was double retail.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... hp?t=82705

The Mid Atlantic Ducatis came to embrace this view of her going down LilyPons on Sunday mornings ...
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Louge wrote:
mdubya wrote: 1998 Ducati 748 -The 748 made it to Turn 3 of Summit Point's first session one morning before morphing into a dirt mushroom cloud. :amazon:

Clicky for graphic mdubya elbow shot:

http://www.mad-ducati.com/events/Summit ... W_Ouch.jpg

What's that quote? "If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough..."

:oops:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC