I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Clake on "sale" (AUD vs USD)

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Clake on "sale" (AUD vs USD)

Post by smdub »

No so fast :) I've already thought of those.

Master: The banjo at the master is small (I keep forgetting to measure.) It won't take the super common M10 pressure switches/banjos. I haven't found a smaller one yet.

Slave: The KTM uses a unified banjo/bleed bolt unlike most street bike/cars with seperate ones. So if I use a pressure switch banjo here, I can't bleed the brake. I had to reverse bleed the Clake to get it to work and that would become impossible (yet, mecessary since I'd have to open the system to swap the bolt.) I could however probably find a spot to machine a new bleed port on the caliper.

The two easiest solutions I've come up with are:
1) a custom brake line w/ a T in it somewhere I can thread the pressure sensor in. If I was a smart cookie, I'd just need a new line from the master down to where the foot control was before and then connect to the orig brake hose w/ a double banjo pressure switch.
2) Install a double banjo bolt on the master. Run the 2nd to a short piece of brake hose w/ a M10 fitting on the end. Alternately I can custom machine a solid banjo/M10 adapter fitting w/ no hose (this would be easy w/ the lathe/mill.) Either solution would hang a little farther off the bottom of the master cyl putting it in harms way a bit.

I have talked to Clake about this. There is actually provisions under the blanking cap for the dual control setup to activate a clutch switch. But nothing in there with access to the braking circuit. They suggested putting a pressure switch somewhere too. I'm not too concerned about this at the moment. I use the rear brake, like, ... never. (maybe that will change since it will be so easy to control.) I also rarely ride the 500 on the street. But the fact that it isn't working as it's supposed to will eat at me. The engineer in me must find a proper solution eventually.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Epiphany: I could install a double banjo pressure switch at the caliper. Machine a small simple block for the 2nd banjo position to hold a bleed nipple.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

I built a custom hose using parts from here https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group ... D=PTFEHOSE
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Bumping an old thread. Clakes are 'on sale' again. USD is strong and the AUD is going in the crapper again. Up to ~1.6AUD/USD now. Not sure if its going to go up to the ~1.7 I caught it at in 2020. Good time to buy UK/Euro/Aus products now.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

That's a good point. I should see what the USD price for the water-based two stroke pipe de-denter/straightener is now.

Edit: And of course it's out of stock. I've sent them a message. Hopefully, Phoo's Pipe Straightening Service will open at some point. =)

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

These guys ship fast via DHL and the prices are good, especially with the exchange rate. Been using them for stock parts for a few year snow and can almost always beat US pricing

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en
Lots of cool bikes---