I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials Bug nibbling at me

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
aai
DAMN Poohba

Re: Trials Bug nibbling at me

Post by aai »

thanks Mike, yes looking back now I was getting fixated on throttle/clutch timing more than proper weight transfer movements. Will work on that this week
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:57 am Sonny first gear is used for everything. Front wheel lift has little to do with throttle and more with body shift. Use your core body to shift back to lift the front... small throttle added will aid in how much height. Think leverage. Standing straight jerking on the bars is a pure power thing....try a little bend of the knees forward and the shift your weight back using your hands to stop your motion. Add a little throttle when your mass has stopped the rear motion. Do this with no clutch. Just do a bunch of tiny controlled wheelies. Then make a start point line and place items to crush like cans at 12 to 36 inches. From that start line do control wheelie and goal is to crush that can. You will learn to impact the can 12 inches out you need a 12 inch arch...24 inches away you need 24 inch arch. Double blip is most common used to cross logs and help lift the rear fromva good front impact....bigger logs are just a roll up impact the front into the log...24 inch log...lift wheel about the same away from log as you want your up arch to impact that log face on the way up.
This is pure gold. Is there a "Trials for Dummies" book out there somewhere? If not, Boom Boom, I think you could self publish one and make a few bucks.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

What works great when getting together on a regular basis is not possible is shoot a little video of you working on something like a larger log crossing. Post up and ask "what am I doing correct and wrong" My nephew progressed so much by doing that and emailing me what he was up to. From simple things like balance to when he was doing 4' splatters. Just not enough time when riding to absorb and then perfect.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

When Ryan Young does a school one full day is spent on basics. Once you have basics and understand how things work.....the rest of the stuff comes easy. When you win is when you can tell yourself what you just done wrong. Not so much having mastered something but the understanding of what is correct and what is not. many guys can blast over a 3' log just fine but no idea how and what is going on and doing it wrong....same log on a slope and a wet day. Party over because they never understood how to unload the bike and get that rear wheel on top and how to do without being under power and spinning the rear wheel. Watch some hard enduro footage from our local riders like Quinn Wentzel...He can find traction where most of us would be burning off that rear tire praying we do not slide backwards. Clutch control is huge but even more so how to apply pressure from bars thru the pegs.
A simple test to see if your stance is good on the bike is ride with one hand, do simple turns. Does your wrist scream in pain...change your stance till it stops. Keep other hand close to bars but not touching. Now climb a mild hill and come back down that hill with one hand. No guessing if you are in a good stance or not.
Bar position, start by standing on the ground with your front of your boot pushed tight into the back of the foot peg.....reach straight out and drop your hands. Does your finger tips touch the grips? Mid finger range, Hands hit the grips? Finger tips only you are a bit more agressive for a beginner rider....you hit palm range you are far to compressed with distance from bar ends to foot pegs. I like following the line of front fork travel and line up my bar ends with that line (bikes needs to be standing true/ bars square). I like that more agressive range as all my body input works directly with fork travel....if behind you loose so much strength....if before then great for nose wheelies but good luck rolling a simple turn.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Boom Boom wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:16 pm What works great when getting together on a regular basis is not possible is shoot a little video of you working on something like a larger log crossing. Post up and ask "what am I doing correct and wrong" My nephew progressed so much by doing that and emailing me what he was up to. From simple things like balance to when he was doing 4' splatters. Just not enough time when riding to absorb and then perfect.
This is good idea. Will try to take some videos of everyone next time we ride.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Just checked my bars Mike, looks to be lined up with the forks when they put it together. Did the stance behind pegs to check arm reach to grips, my middle fingers just overlaps the grips. Also on that pic, you can see the zip tie on the left fork leg, using 5" of available 6" travel just fooling around the house :censored: haven't messed with the clickers but doubt that would help. Bike is setup with a 150lb rider in mind, should I look into swapping springs? Being 200lbs or wait a season.
Thanks for the tips much appreciated! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Beta is normally to soft. Springs are cheap...go up a step on both ends. Easy change over.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Looking to set up a ride day for Thursday. Ill put up a thread for it when the date it finalized
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Boom Boom wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:51 pm Beta is normally to soft. Springs are cheap...go up a step on both ends. Easy change over.
thanks Mike I'll do that
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Get some fork guards on that Beta before you take a flop in the rocks and damage those pretty black forks.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr