I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mountain bike trails

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Mountain bike trails

Post by Marylander »

Laoch wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:22 pm My knees started going bad many years ago ( too many hard miles thanks to Uncle Sam) and I started biking. I got “serious” a few years ago. I try to ride several times a week. It’s tough in the winter, hence the mountain bike. No windchill to contend with.
I've been lucky, knee-wise, so far and Uncle Sam didn't want me when I was 18 years old once the docs looked at my spine. :shrug: I'm moving to a combo of running and cycling since my legs tend to get sore from running. Cycling is a lot more fun but running is really convenient.
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

Mines been on a hook since before I tuned 50. Besides it's too hard to ride without spilling my beer.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
Purple Haze
DAMN n00b

Post by Purple Haze »

Marylander I hope you were able to enjoy some of that ride. Tire pressures make a huge difference at Gambrill. To much and you get bounced around to little you flat. It takes some experimenting to get the right pressure for the right terrain. Pedal strikes are common on rocky trails. If you are using Shimano clipless they have two different cleats. Black cleats are harder to unclip, the gold cleats are multi directional release which are easier to unclip.

Another option close to Frederick is Little Bennett. The trails are no were near as technical as Gambrill. Less elevation and nothing close to the rocks at Gambrill.
13 Husaberg TE 300
2020 TRS rr 250
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I actually enjoyed the whole ride. I learned a lot and I think doing challenging stuff is good for you (particularly as we get older, I won't get too philosophical here though ;) ). I expect to do a lot better next time.

I'll check out little bennett too. I'm about in the middle between gambrill and little bennett.

Thanks!
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Greasy trails are interesting on a self powered machine haha.

I only fell once, which was when I got off to walk the bike through a particularly muddy section so I wouldn't tear up the trail or eat it. Yup, feet slipped out from under me and I ate it anyway :jack:

First time on my parts bin bike. Wanted to try full suspension out for not a huge amount of money. Only new parts are the tires and grips.

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

What helmet is that? I just have a cheap basic helmet.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Giro Chronicle

Screenshot_20200301-211029_Amazon Shopping.jpg
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Seems like a high zoot helmet to me. Mine is a cheapo that was sitting in the back of my moto closet for about 11 years. ;) I wore it on my road bike on the C&O today only to discover that my arthritic neck cannot hold my head up high enough for me to see past the visor. So, I didn't wear the helmet for much of the ride (and also ordered a taller handlebar setup and it was already several inches higher than I used to use back in the 80s/90s). I'm too slow for aerodynamics to matter anyway.

I'm not up on the MTB brands (or current road brands, for that matter) but that santa cruz looks pretty cool. I think it's weird that MTB forks have braces where dirt bike forks don't... I suppose they're making up for them being spindly. When I parted out my 97 concours I had a bunch of people waiting in line for the fork brace (spindly forks on that bike although better than the 1st gen).
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

So why not a chin bar helmet?
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:14 pm So why not a chin bar helmet?
I've considered one of those for summer dirt riding...