I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Riding 3/17 plus a really hot bike

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Riding 3/17 plus a really hot bike

Post by Marylander »

I got out to Phil's super secret riding area yesterday (thanks again Phil!). It is a very cool piece of property. He's put in a lot of work making some very tight trails. So we were not going fast. I had a good time out there until my bike got real hot and spewed a bunch of coolant. I found a dent in the tube coming out of the bottom of the right radiator. I had the pipe guard clamp lined up with that bit of tube and it looks to have put the dent in there when the bike fell over on the right side at some point (not yesterday, it must have been a previous ride). I'm running a bit lean too as I pulled the oil injection reservoir but didn't touch the carb (so a bunch more air getting into the air box). So at least those 3 things contributed to the issue. I believe we didn't ride enough for me to do any real harm but I've still got a project to work on. I'm thinking I'll also ditch the pipe guard/stock pipe and get the gnarly that I've been wanting... Any excuse...

Phil is good about taking pics, I am not and feel guilty. Nonetheless here are his pics. :)
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Riding 3/17 plus a really hot bike

Post by Bucho »

I'm sorry you had bike trouble Kirk.

It was still fun to take you around. More trailwork may wait a few months but I'll keep at it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

If you had a bike that was run pretty dang hot for, say, 20 minutes or so (I don't know how long, the whole ride was fairly short) would you do anything besides addressing the overheating issue, e.g., inspect the cylinder? I don't think I know enough what it should look like to judge myself unless it looks really chewed up...

On a related note I ordered some radiator hoses from the uk yesterday morning and fedex is showing that they will be delivered today. I'm anxious to see. It'd be pretty amazing if they make it today...
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Marylander wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 pm If you had a bike that was run pretty dang hot for, say, 20 minutes or so (I don't know how long, the whole ride was fairly short) would you do anything besides addressing the overheating issue, e.g., inspect the cylinder? I don't think I know enough what it should look like to judge myself unless it looks really chewed up...

On a related note I ordered some radiator hoses from the uk yesterday morning and fedex is showing that they will be delivered today. I'm anxious to see. It'd be pretty amazing if they make it today...
If it was running when you shut it down (didn't die on its own) you should be fine.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Wingfixer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 pm If it was running when you shut it down (didn't die on its own) you should be fine.
Ok, good. Thanks!

My radiator is on its way to utah. The radiator hoses I ordered yesterday morning arrived from the UK today. Pretty amazing...
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Marylander wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:42 pm
Wingfixer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:53 pm If it was running when you shut it down (didn't die on its own) you should be fine.
Ok, good. Thanks!

My radiator is on its way to utah. The radiator hoses I ordered yesterday morning arrived from the UK today. Pretty amazing...
Mylers? They do excellent work!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Wingfixer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 pm Mylers? They do excellent work!
Yep, I knew someone back in the 90s who really screwed up the radiator on his street bike in a crash. It was twisted and most of the fins were smashed. They made it look better than it did before the crash. Very impressive.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

The vent tube between the power valve linkage and the frame melted. That was my first indication of an issue. I thought the vent tube had just come undone and oil was somehow getting pushed up through there (the tube is oil colored). I reached in with my glove, which melted on contact. You can see all the melted plastic tube (being replaced by a rubber tube that I had saved from my old concours) and some black melted black stuff from the glove. I'll get it all cleaned up before I put it back together. Just for peace of mind I spun the motor a little to verify that, in fact, it will still spin...
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Radiator arrived from Mylers today. I put it on and filled it up and coolant started dribbling out of the exhaust port. Hmm... I'll have to pull the head and take a look inside. Here's hoping I don't need a new cylinder...
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Just cooked an o-ring, simple fix.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr