I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials Bug

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Trials Bug

Post by J&J »

Rut Row wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:35 am
Laoch wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 am I think most folks only compete for fun and to get a good ride in on a Sunday. And honestly the trials competitions don't feel like competitions. It's just fun.
this is why it appeals to me. You are competing against yourself. Everyone I've met ay an event is always very encouraging. And it is cheap!
Yes, more about challenging yourself & working on skills.
Sold my vintage but would like to do it again on a modern some day...
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Having got the kid's Oset 20.0R motor controller updated to 2018 specs, I'm not sure I'd REALLY enjoy riding a 24. It does NOT have instant low end torque like it should. I'm told a controller swap to aftermarket fixes that so factor it into your cost. Don't get me wrong: the 20 is a HOOT to play on silently in the yard but the throttle lag is super annoying at the same time. Kid won't notice. If it was my toy, I'd have to upgrade it.

People keep saying gas trials bikes are very quiet. That has too yet been the case for me. Even after repacking the muffler, mine do the typ 2-stroke 'pop' (which measures 105dB+ on our office's SPL meter.) I know this is more of a rich jetting issue, but I also read that the Beta Rev carbs are notorious for this. Still going over the '05 and haven't yet dug into the carb. Plus is too darn cold to be tweaking jetting for summer riding.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

smdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 am Having got the kid's Oset 20.0R motor controller updated to 2018 specs, I'm not sure I'd REALLY enjoy riding a 24. It does NOT have instant low end torque like it should. I'm told a controller swap to aftermarket fixes that so factor it into your cost. Don't get me wrong: the 20 is a HOOT to play on silently in the yard but the throttle lag is super annoying at the same time. Kid won't notice. If it was my toy, I'd have to upgrade it.

People keep saying gas trials bikes are very quiet. That has too yet been the case for me. Even after repacking the muffler, mine do the typ 2-stroke 'pop' (which measures 105dB+ on our office's SPL meter.) I know this is more of a rich jetting issue, but I also read that the Beta Rev carbs are notorious for this. Still going over the '05 and haven't yet dug into the carb. Plus is too darn cold to be tweaking jetting for summer riding.
try my EM at the TTC. Will be curious to see what you think.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

The Beta 4-stroke (standard) is very quiet. Like almost Honda generator quiet. Now my Beta 4 stroke Factory has a good bark coming under power...same with Montesa 4 stroke. The Beta Rev always was loud. Fresh silencer packing helps soften the tone but nothing like modern 2 strokes. The 2 stroke tone just does not carry like a 4 stroke. Once in the woods it is hard to figure out where your 2 stroke friends are riding unless they are hard on the power....the 4 stroke Montesa I can find from a long distance off. Still never will be EM electric quiet. The Oset 24 looks like a mountain bike and might get away with nutzing around more town like locations without having the cops called. Sure glad I live where that is not an issue. Often thought about trying to build a DB snorkle as you just can not find them and try on a 2 stroke trials bike. As an experiment I zip tied a few inches of an old tube to the exhaust on a 2 stroke trials bike, Had the curve of the tube aim to the ground and was amazed how much "tone" was taken away from exhaust. A 90 degree turn down on the end will lessen the sound also.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 am Having got the kid's Oset 20.0R motor controller updated to 2018 specs, I'm not sure I'd REALLY enjoy riding a 24. It does NOT have instant low end torque like it should. I'm told a controller swap to aftermarket fixes that so factor it into your cost. Don't get me wrong: the 20 is a HOOT to play on silently in the yard but the throttle lag is super annoying at the same time. Kid won't notice. If it was my toy, I'd have to upgrade it.

Interesting to hear you say that.
Playing around on my kid's 20.0, I'm pretty impressed with it. Maybe I don't notice either bc I've never owned a trials bike and I'm not a trials guy?
I would be very interested in demoing an OSET 24.0, though I will admit I don't have the money right now to buy anyway.
I'm looking forward to "demoing" Ken's EM later this year to get a feel for it. My two minute ride around in the grass was very favorable.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

We have a 24 Oset riding some of the vintage events. Looks fun but watch him struggle to hold a slow speed and power.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tenaci-w ... s.1194012/

For those interested in a lower end trials bike the bike in the post above just might become a hit. Importer is in Canada and so far think they have a dealer in NY and PA. You can't buy an Oset for the proposed USD price and it even has electric start and FI. I can see these going over well as old man putt around and wife bikes. Gas Gas is selling a lower end trials bike for around 5k. Not cheap but far less than a new 10k factory bike.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:39 pm https://advrider.com/f/threads/tenaci-w ... s.1194012/

For those interested in a lower end trials bike the bike in the post above just might become a hit. Importer is in Canada and so far think they have a dealer in NY and PA. You can't buy an Oset for the proposed USD price and it even has electric start and FI. I can see these going over well as old man putt around and wife bikes. Gas Gas is selling a lower end trials bike for around 5k. Not cheap but far less than a new 10k factory bike.
either that is a big bike, or one very small dude!

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Thinking he might be belt buckle high on you Ken.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Rut Row wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:52 am try my EM at the TTC. Will be curious to see what you think.
Would LOVE to ride it a little! I used to do electric drives development for GE ages ago. We did EVs w/ both AC and DC traction motors. I know how one SHOULD feel so am sensitive to detecting ones doing it poorly. I still do high power converter electronics & control software for a living. You can get a motor to give you torque faster than you can physically twist a throttle pot.

The OSET controller is fast once you are on the power a bit and ask for more. Mine is a 2015. The orig controller programming had a 'jump/jerk' going from 0% to ~10%. Made riding around slow very difficult & jerky. Here is a video of it originally:

I sent it back and they reprogrammed it to 2018 specs. There is no longer a jerk so very easy to ride slow and is more 'beginner friendly'. **BUT** the transition through the first ~10% is really slow. So if you are standing there somewhat balanced at a stop and give it a handful of throttle, there is a noticeable delay ramping up the torque. My kid will never notice but I know it could be much better. Wheelieing it is inconsistent based on where in the throttle range you started.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee