I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Advice Needed - kids ATV

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Advice Needed - kids ATV

Post by Rut Row »

The bride's grandkids are 8, 11 & 13. They were up this weekend and when I asked if they'd like an ATV all got excited. Now I'm committed to getting at least one by springtime.

So ... they never have ridden an ATV. Should I get a little 50cc go go for something larger?

Thoughts? Recommendations? Ridicule?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Advice Needed - kids ATV

Post by Marylander »

I've got no recs on specific atvs but will only comment that taking turns sucks... :shrug:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Go Kart. Low slung, roll cage. Like 500-600 bones new. :deal:
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

The Odysee is still around, somewhere.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:12 pm I've got no recs on specific atvs but will only comment that taking turns sucks... :shrug:
On one level I agree, but getting to ride an ATV at all is pretty freaking cool.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The Honda/Yama/Kawa/Suzuki 80/90cc atv is would be good for that age.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:49 pm The Honda/Yama/Kawa/Suzuki 80/90cc atv is would be good for that age.
the 80/90 range is what I was thinking. As soon as I sell my house I'll buy one and see if they'll come up enough to warrant buying another.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:49 pm The Honda/Yama/Kawa/Suzuki 80/90cc atv is would be good for that age.
the 80/90 range is what I was thinking. As soon as I sell my house I'll buy one and see if they'll come up enough to warrant buying another.
Ken
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

If they can ride a bicycle then get a Honda XR 70. Stop the quad madness.
Auto clutch so does not get much easier.
Quad teaches nothing but push the gas and go fast with no fear then comes a bank and things go wrong fast.
Sorry, I have pulled more than one quad out of the pond and lifted them off kids pinned under them. If you want a quad then get something big enough to do utility work around your property, snow plow for your drive...pull a wagon to give rides around your land...pull sleds. Once a kid learns some respect by falling over a few times on 2 wheels then they might have some respect for actions and can be trusted to use a adult sized quad.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Boom Boom wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:17 am If they can ride a bicycle then get a Honda XR 70. Stop the quad madness.
Auto clutch so does not get much easier.
Quad teaches nothing but push the gas and go fast with no fear then comes a bank and things go wrong fast.
Sorry, I have pulled more than one quad out of the pond and lifted them off kids pinned under them. If you want a quad then get something big enough to do utility work around your property, snow plow for your drive...pull a wagon to give rides around your land...pull sleds. Once a kid learns some respect by falling over a few times on 2 wheels then they might have some respect for actions and can be trusted to use a adult sized quad.
I was thinking the same.
Started Jacob on a 50 when he was 5. He promptly ran into a tree in front of Grandma on Christmas day :jack:
Started learning some respect & skills right away though which was my reason for going for 2wheels. Got him an 80 next which has a real clutch.
He outgrew bikes faster than shoes there for a while :lol2: