I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Well I did it

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Well I did it

Post by Marylander »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 pm if you go to ADV Rider in the trials forum you will find some posts about the other electric trials bikes. Yamaha has a full clutch with gears..if we get it to the US who knows. Dale, ex GasGas trials importer is also importing electric trials bikes and full clutch. The EM will perform just fine as long as ridden old school with more roll up attack but with full clutch and gears then zaps and splatters are possible.
I had a clutch and gears on the regular ole gas trials bike I borrowed for Ryan's school and I still couldn't do either of those things. :killingme:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Marylander wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:20 am
Boom Boom wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 pm if you go to ADV Rider in the trials forum you will find some posts about the other electric trials bikes. Yamaha has a full clutch with gears..if we get it to the US who knows. Dale, ex GasGas trials importer is also importing electric trials bikes and full clutch. The EM will perform just fine as long as ridden old school with more roll up attack but with full clutch and gears then zaps and splatters are possible.
I had a clutch and gears on the regular ole gas trials bike I borrowed for Ryan's school and I still couldn't do either of those things. :killingme:
Ken will give a demo...
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

http://midwestmototrials.com/

Here is one option with clutch and gears.
Not going to be cheap.
I expect the e-bikes will grow as a few of the world trials events now have added a "E" class.
If you plan to spend most of your time in your back yard then the E bike may be the ticket. If your goal to to better your dirt bike riding with adding trials training then you need a modern gas powered bike and go to where you have riders of the level you hope to become and ride what they do.
As for wrenching, the current trials bike offerings are all quality products...each will have some little issues as with any dirt bike but I spend 3x wrenching to keep enduro bike maintained as my modern trials bike.....the vintage bikes are a labor of love, don't ask how much wrenching or mods I have done to them. A trials bike at or just above idle will make no more noise than your mower.
The vintage event this sunday will have just as many modern bikes as vintage bike. 8464 Woodbine Road Airville Pa....starts at noon.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Boom Boom wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am If you plan to spend most of your time in your back yard then the E bike may be the ticket. If your goal to to better your dirt bike riding with adding trials training then you need a modern gas powered bike and go to where you have riders of the level you hope to become and ride what they do.
Perhaps these two statements aren't mutually exclusive. :think:

One might argue that any time spent on a trials bike will improve your dirt riding skills. :chicken kiss:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:18 am
Boom Boom wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 am If you plan to spend most of your time in your back yard then the E bike may be the ticket. If your goal to to better your dirt bike riding with adding trials training then you need a modern gas powered bike and go to where you have riders of the level you hope to become and ride what they do.
Perhaps these two statements aren't mutually exclusive. :think:

One might argue that any time spent on a trials bike will improve your dirt riding skills. :chicken kiss:
Agree.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm aware of OSET and Kuberg (thinking of getting one for the 8yr old - if I can talk mom into it.) Don't want to derail Ken's thread any farther than I have. I'm not at all plugged into the trials scene so still looking for info/clubs/locations to ride/etc. Might try to make that PA event on Sun as just talking to folks would be WORLDS more informative than online research.

I've seen pedal powered trials bikes first hand and see the skills they can teach. So I know that ANY sort of trials motorcycle will similarly help other motorcycle riding so I'm fairly determined to get one. Heck, I bought a unicycle this summer to help teach myself better balance. :lol2:
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

smdub wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am Heck, I bought a unicycle this summer to help teach myself better balance. :lol2:
Does that work? I've got an inner ear disorder and have depended on being strong to make up for my lack of balance. Improving my balance would be better, I'm sure. :shrug:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

smdub wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am I'm not at all plugged into the trials scene so still looking for info/clubs/locations to ride/etc. Might try to make that PA event on Sun as just talking to folks would be WORLDS more informative than online research.
we can ride mid-atlantic vintage trials on moderns. The vintage sections are easier than those setup for modern bikes. MAVT has more events closer to us too. That is where I'm going to ride. Check them out. http://www.mid-atlantictrials.com/

check out AMA District 6 as well http://d6trials.com/

are you on Facebook? there are a couple of trials groups there too.

Boom Boom, although an electric hater, is a great resource for local riders, bikes and events.

Lastly, I'm moving soon (Keedysville) and my new place has 2 acres in the back woods where I'll be setting up a few sections (with Boom Boom and Laoch's help). You are welcome to come ride.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris