I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Contractors, builders, Holiday Inn Express folks...

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Contractors, builders, Holiday Inn Express folks...

Post by Laoch »

I'm starting on my cabin (shed -for township purposes). Permits? What permits?
I want to run some stuff by you guys.

12 wide x16 long

4x4 stringers on gravel. 2x8 rim joist with 2x8 floor joists, 16" OC. 3/4 ply floor deck. All PT.

2x4 walls, 16"OC with double top plate. I'm not sure on interior height. I plan to pre-build walls in sections.

Roof. 8/12 pitch. 2x6 rafters with 2x4 cross ties. No ridge beam. Birdmouth at double top plate, with rafter ties. I was going 24" OC, now I'm thinking 18" OC.
I'm pre-building rafter/truss stuff. Already did layout /jig/measured 16 times. Saves me from building on site and I can do it in garage.
Ladder truss at gable ends for overhang. 12" and 24 " over door end. 12" overhang at sides.
Plan on standard roof decking with shingles.

Am I missing anything?
Any glaring safety/structure issues. I want to overbuild it.
Bruce
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Re: Contractors, builders, Holiday Inn Express folks...

Post by Taylor »

Only thing I would do is do rafters on 16” centers. I think think I know what you’re talking about on gables, but in case I don’t. Drop gable ends by 5 1/2” and have your ladders attach to your first truss and have them bear on gable ends and build them out of 2x6’s and attach them with hurricane ties.😀🔨🔨🔨🔨
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

:thumbup:

Makes sense. Thanks.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

why not sink some 4x4s and raise the shed off the ground, then insulate the floor?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:13 pm why not sink some 4x4s and raise the shed off the ground, then insulate the floor?
It will be raised. Floor joist and frame, 2x8s, will sit on 4x4 skids. Floor will be about 12" off ground. I plan to place insulating layer on the interior on top of the 3/4 PT plywood and under 1/2 sub-floor.

Besides, it's in Michaux. Do you want to try to sink anything in those rocks :lol2:
Bruce
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Just thinking here... :think: If you could put plywood under the joist to keep the critters out then you could insulate between the joist.
Also what do you mean by cross ties? Are you talking about collar ties? No ceiling joist? Ceiling joist would make a strong triangle. Make sure you have them low enough to prevent the walls from pushing under snow load.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I think he should go with 2x6 walls as well.

Hey - perhaps a widow's walk as well? :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

J&J wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:37 pm Just thinking here... :think: If you could put plywood under the joist to keep the critters out then you could insulate between the joist.
Also what do you mean by cross ties? Are you talking about collar ties? No ceiling joist? Ceiling joist would make a strong triangle. Make sure you have them low enough to prevent the walls from pushing under snow load.
It would be difficult to attach plywood under the joists? Also, I think I want it to "breath" underneath. Hope to put hardware cloth around perimeter.
I was thinking for insulation roxul/rockwool batts between joists or closed cell panels or relectix over joists under 3/4 PT. I really think I just need a thermal break. Also thinking of something like dricore panels inside or a floor underlayment under the interior subfloor.

Yeah, so collar ties as opposed to rafter ties. Collar ties are higher up and give more head room. I figured with 8/12 collar ties with birdmouth and rafter ties would be fine. Should I go with a 8' all and rafter ties?
Trying to do research.
https://www.nachi.org/collar-rafter-ties.htm
https://inspectapedia.com/structure/Cat ... raming.php
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 am Yeah, so collar ties as opposed to rafter ties. Collar ties are higher up and give more head room.
so ... "Collar ties, contrary to popular belief, do not prevent walls from spreading." How will you prevent the walls from spreading?
Ken
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 am
Laoch wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 am Yeah, so collar ties as opposed to rafter ties. Collar ties are higher up and give more head room.
so ... "Collar ties, contrary to popular belief, do not prevent walls from spreading." How will you prevent the walls from spreading?
Right. Change of plans, rafter ties :deal: No worries. Still use collar ties in top third.
Bruce