I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Long Trip

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Long Trip

Post by YAMPOL »

Saw this in the Hagerstown paper today. He did this on a 1000 V-Strom. Too much of a ride for me. :roost:

STATE LINE, Pa. — Five years ago, Randy Ward rode his motorcycle through the 48 contiguous states in 26 days.

He added a 49th state to his log this summer when he set off for the northernmost portion of Alaska to see the Arctic Ocean.

"Forty-nine down, one to go. I always knew I wanted to do 50," said Ward, who plans to fly to Hawaii within the next year, rent a motorcycle and traverse at least one of the islands.

Ward, 64, of State Line knew the roads would be rough in portions of Alaska. He drove a Suzuki V-STROM 1000 that sits higher and has more ground clearance for obstacles such as potholes.

He encountered 350 miles of dirt road in each direction on the Dalton Highway.

"I planned (the trip) out day to day to the Arctic Ocean, but from there coming back, I flew by the seat of my pants, so to speak," Ward said, noting he traveled 11,015 miles between July 14 and Aug. 12.

Ward carried clothes in two saddlebags; on his seat were tools and a small gas can. Gas prices ranged from $2.42 to $6.08 per gallon.

En route, Ward encountered 97-degree temperatures in Iowa. It was 31 degrees when he reached Prudhoe Bay in Alaska.

Ward found the beach at the Arctic Ocean to be an interesting experience. It looked like a beach in, say, Ocean City, Md., but there weren't people hanging around and the overall feeling was gloomy, cold and dreary.

"The Arctic Ocean is not where you'd go for day's vacation, but it was on my bucket list," he said.

Ward enjoyed the views on the journey, which didn't involve any significant motorcycle trouble.

"I will never forget the scenery," he said of Alaska. "It seems like a country of its own."

Ward hopes to turn the Hawaii trip into something similar to a second honeymoon with his wife of 33 years.

Print
Retired and loving it!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Long Trip

Post by Bucho »

Interesting

Im not too into the iron butt stuff but still a neat trip
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Long Trip

Post by Rut Row »

I rode to Radisson, Quebec with my brother for my 55th birthday, then 5-years later to Labrador City, over to Goose Bay/Happy Valley, down to Newfoundland and back with Bonehead.

I enjoyed both trips. Just don't have time for long adventure rides anymore.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris