I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hitch Hauler

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Hitch Hauler

Post by YAMPOL »

Ok after seeing two pics of two different kind of hitch haulers on the Michaux Dual Sport thread, which one is the preferred one? Or at least your opinion on steel vs aluminum. I will be using it on a Jeep and a Pick up also. I am a little older and not to mention out of shape, so easy is what I am looking for.

Thanks!
Retired and loving it!
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Hitch Hauler

Post by Laoch »

I got mine at Wally World. It's steel. Works fine. I only use it for my lightweight bikes, they weight like 200 lbs.
I think the important thing to consider is ease of loading /unloading. Sometimes they can be a pain for an older guy with two bad shoulders :lol2:
Look at the ramp and the height and maybe the actual platform with regards to how the wheel sits on or in it.
Jeeps are easy because you have the spare tire as a cushion. :thumbup:
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I've got a steel one that is rated to even carry my street bikes. It's pretty heavy on its own so that could be an issue. However, it comes with a really long ramp so loading the bike is easy.

I'd had a ladder style aluminum one that had just started to warp. I was uncomfortable with that so I gave it Gene for his nephews. I don't know if it's continued to warp. It was a lot lighter than the steel one I've got now.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Mine is aluminum (actually it's Bucho's).

Pros:
- Easy to mount and dismount.
- Carries the bike well
- Bucho put his DR650 on it so it has a good carrying capacity.

Cons:
- bends easily horizontally. I've not seen many that don't have at least a small bend.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 pm Mine is aluminum (actually it's Bucho's).

Pros:
- Easy to mount and dismount.
- Carries the bike well
- Bucho put his DR650 on it so it has a good carrying capacity.

Cons:
- bends easily horizontally. I've not seen many that don't have at least a small bend.

Yes, I used it many years both with my old conversion van and for two seasons “between vans” on my wife’s chevy equinox.

Its nice to not have to haul a trailer sometimes. Its to drive/park ect...

I did haul my dr650 with it sometimes but I was never 100% comfortable. It worked much better with sub 300 pound bikes.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Post by YAMPOL »

Thanks for would be the replies. What I had in mine was to take the Jeep to places like Michaux or Greenridge and let my wife follow me around in the Jeep while I am on my dual sport. I bought her a 125 and we tried Michaux once, but that did not work (I won't say anymore on that). So the Jeep is the next idea.
We both enjoy riding Michaux, (even ATV's) but I was just looking for another option. I have trailers, but then I would have to leave it somewhere. Both bikes that I would be using are sub 300 pounds, XT250 dual sport and a TTR230 off road.

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:
Retired and loving it!