I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Drtjumper Alta Review?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Drtjumper Alta Review?

Post by Bucho »

Hey, some of us are very interested in these new fangled electric bikes. Have you had much opportunity to ride it?

Please give us a little ride review.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Drtjumper Alta Review?

Post by Marylander »

There's going to be one in the erzberg rodeo coming up.
drtjumper
DAMN Expert

Post by drtjumper »

Well I have over 20 hours on it so far. Haven't done anything to it yet as far as suspension revalve or even 18" rear wheel yet as it's so DAMNed fun the way it is. Had it out at the watr spring ride at eagle bay where I was able to get about an hour and 45 min out of the battery using mainly map 1 with about 30 min of Map 2 sprinkled in. Map 3 and even more so Map 4 are too much in tight singletrack. The bike is awesome and I'm thinking about buying a second one so my son and I can ride wherever we want (hiking only trails) without getting busted. No clutch takes some getting used to in slow tech rocks and pivoting the bike on the rear wheel in tight switchbacks. You don't feel the weight of the bike at all, in fact it's the opposite. While riding it feels like a well planted 125 or 250 2t. The only time it feels heavy is pushing it (always has drag on the motor) or when picking it up after a fall (luckily not done that as often as I thought. Thinking about seeing how far I can get it to last on a dual sport ride this coming weekend. Next thing to do on it is revalve the suspension since it's valved for Pro MX and an 18" rear wheel. Title will be going off to South Dakota soon to be plated then it's time to terrorize Wash DC and ride the exorcist stairs again. Kirk, as for erzberg I am not sure what their plan is for battery swaps but there is no way in hell that battery in its current state will last 2 1/2 hours in that kind of terrain. I do know they are only allowing it to charge to 80% of its capacity currently and drain only down to 20% to save the battery. So realistically there is at least another 20% in the current MXR (version I have) of capacity left. Feel free to ask any questions. I will say if they can get these batteries to last 2 1/2+ hours on Map 3 at a pro woods pace they will put a SERIOUS dent in gas bike sales. 2/3 of the environmental complaints are solved, noise and pollution. The only one left is land damage from trails anyway. I can easily see in the next 5 or so years there being electric only night races at a lot of MX tracks. I have only ridden my basically new (under 20 hours) 2017 yz250f that I put full ohlins on twice since buying this Alta and that is only while I waited for it to charge. Lol
Adam
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Awesome!

Glad to hear such a positive review.
Map 1 feels plenty powerful enough for riding single track to you? No problems on hills?

Keep us informed, I love the idea of a silent dirtbike
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

thanks. In urban areas electric will be the savior or offroad riding
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Apologies if you've already said this but, are you planning to bring this thing to the reunion? I'd love to check it out!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I'm pretty sure it was Alta directly running the team for Erzberg. So, they should have bleeding edge stuff available. Of course they don't have the best of the best riding, I don't think the guys have done Erzberg before, but it'll be interesting to see how they, and the bikes, fare. It's not like very many gas bikes finish the thing...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Marylander wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:30 am I'm pretty sure it was Alta directly running the team for Erzberg. So, they should have bleeding edge stuff available. Of course they don't have the best of the best riding, I don't think the guys have done Erzberg before, but it'll be interesting to see how they, and the bikes, fare. It's not like very many gas bikes finish the thing...
I read that is was the Alta factory team. I also read that one rider had never done thee rodeo but the other, Lyndon Poskitt, rode Erzberg on his Dakar bike.

btw if you are on Facebook, Lyndon has been posting videos of him training on his Alta

Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
drtjumper
DAMN Expert

Post by drtjumper »

Map 1 is VERY lazy and not powerful at all. I was only using it to see how long it would last. Plan was to test each map on the long loop to have a baseline of how long each would last in the woods. That didn't happen as I dislocated my shoulder being dumb on my Supermoto riding it on the short loop on slicks. But no Map one is not powerful enough imo to ride at a fast pace unless you are flowing REALLY well, which is what I was trying to do. Map 2 is more of the woods map with 3 being a little more aggressive up top.

I am not sure what I am doing the weekend of the reunion yet. There is a Sprint enduro race, a fast pace dual sport ride with some buddies and the reunion all the same weekend.

As for Alta and Erzberg, I've talked to one of the engineers and they are bringing a stock MXR minus suspension upgrades. So from that either they think it will last the whole event which I can't imagine or they are hot swapping batteries but that takes at least 15 min with their team doing it. That's a lot of time lost. Either way it's a lofty goal to even finish at all. Just climbing out of the pit is going to zap close to 15% of the battery from what I have seen. Keep in mind I'm a fatass so that definitely effects things.

Yeah I have seen Lyndon's testing videos.I hope he does well.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

You are a level above me in faster riding. I wonder if Map 1 would feel okay to me?

I'm pipe dreaming at the moment, I don't have any spare money for one...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200