I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm
Rut Row wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:16 pm

after reading that thread I have to wonder if anyone there has ever ridden anything but well groomed gravel roads. :screwy:
Are they talking about it like its a hardcore technical route?
as you saw in the video, EXPERTS ONLY. I think it is sad that they have to play to the absolute beginner and can't be honest about the road conditions.

I'm looking forward to posting on the ADV thread videos of my FZ with 5" of suspension doing that section. :screwy:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Bucho wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:19 am I watched the two little vids posted of the "hard" section in Bald Eagle State Forest. Is that the hardest, most technical part of the route? I can't believe they even bothered having a go round.
Here

And here
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Those roads would be sketchy on my CB. I have no bash plate, just plastic and the oil sump about 6" off the ground. I also have zero suspension travel :lol2:

I plan on getting a bash plate, I've already scraped bottom twice :deal:
And I've got TKC's to mount.

Just sayin' for regular DS or ADV type bike it's cake, but for a street oriented bike not so much.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm Just sayin' for regular DS or ADV type bike it's cake, but for a street oriented bike not so much.
wimp. put the tires on the cb, I'm riding my FZ!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've learned that GoPro and other helmet type cameras can be slightly deceptive. They make stuff look easier than it is. That being said, I'm relatively confident that I could ride my Wee on those tough sections with decent tires as long as I picked good lines. The rocks sticking out would give the street suspension a workout.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:02 pm
Laoch wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm Just sayin' for regular DS or ADV type bike it's cake, but for a street oriented bike not so much.
Ummm... :dirtdog: I never said I wasn't going to do it...DAMN Ken :shrug:

I will follow your whatever the hell an FZ is anywhere on my little Honda :deal:
:duel: :duel:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:52 pm
Rut Row wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:02 pm
Ummm... :dirtdog: I never said I wasn't going to do it...DAMN Ken :shrug:

I will follow your whatever the hell an FZ is anywhere on my little Honda :deal:
:duel: :duel:
Bravo! :whoop:
Ken
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:13 pm I've learned that GoPro and other helmet type cameras can be slightly deceptive. They make stuff look easier than it is. That being said, I'm relatively confident that I could ride my Wee on those tough sections with decent tires as long as I picked good lines. The rocks sticking out would give the street suspension a workout.
I agree, sometimes the helmet cam footage can be deceptive sometimes. It has to be a good uphill/downhill to even not look like just a flat trail.

I think the WeeStrom, CB500X, street/adv type bikes, Ken's FZ, (my old Concours) could easily ride through. Of course at relatively slow speed but still with minimal drama.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
zjcoombs
DAMN n00b

Post by zjcoombs »

Bucho wrote:
juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:13 pm I've learned that GoPro and other helmet type cameras can be slightly deceptive. They make stuff look easier than it is. That being said, I'm relatively confident that I could ride my Wee on those tough sections with decent tires as long as I picked good lines. The rocks sticking out would give the street suspension a workout.
I agree, sometimes the helmet cam footage can be deceptive sometimes. It has to be a good uphill/downhill to even not look like just a flat trail.

I think the WeeStrom, CB500X, street/adv type bikes, Ken's FZ, (my old Concours) could easily ride through. Of course at relatively slow speed but still with minimal drama.
I’ll get a set of trials tires for the Hurley Low Rider and really up the ante... or just run street tires and Kenny Roberts the whole thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Bucho wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Even VFR can go halfway up :lol2:
I think though, that hill in Italy I failed on was much steeper :angel:

And, as always, I was alone in the middle of nowhere :killingme:
Every day is a good day when you ride