I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

GPS, GPX file etc help

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

GPS, GPX file etc help

Post by Laoch » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 am

Ok, so I'm not a dummy, I'm just old skool. I use Google maps to plan routes, then usually jot them down or print a map. I don't like looking at a GPS or driving in circles trying to get a signal. I do have a couple GPSs and a new Android phone, I'm not sue what he hell they can/can't do :lol2:

What I want to do is import gps (gpx?) files onto my home PC. It's that simple.
Any suggestions for good, safe programs? And can I import the tracks to Google maps?

I think I've figured out how to create a map and save it.
And I found a route sheet creation program.
Bruce

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: GPS, GPX file etc help

Post by Skinny-J » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:14 am

If you want to view gpx files on google maps, you have to first convert them to kml's. I use a free program called GPSBabel.

It's too bad Open Street Maps (OSMAND in the app store) doesn't have a PC program as its pretty kewl app.

Garmin will also give you Mapsource (or the new version called Basecamp but I prefer Mapsource version 6.13.7 and no later) for free but you still need maps. I could give you a copy of my unlocked maps like Roads & Rec or Topo.

phoo
Benevolent Dictator

Re: GPS, GPX file etc help

Post by phoo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Can you not use Open Source Maps with their software like you can with their hardware?

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200