I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DAMN Michaux base camp

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

DAMN Michaux base camp

Post by Laoch »

:freakey: We just closed on a 1.5 acre wooded lot that is 2.5 miles from Michaux state forest. An RV pad for now and eventually an off grid cabin is the plan.
Any good (and cheap) landscape/excavators out there? :lol2:
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: DAMN Michaux base camp

Post by Rut Row »

congrats! Looking forward to seeing it :cheers:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Sweet. Time for an Enduro cross track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

beejaytee wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:18 pm Sweet. Time for an Enduro cross track.

:lol2: On 1.5 acres that would be some tight turns.
Bruce
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Exactly

2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

beejaytee wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:39 pm ExactlyImage

:lol2:
The Freeride will be making trails.
Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

It's relatively easy to build an inexpensive off the grid A-frame house. Set posts, string joists, tie up rafters, sheath. You can use SIPS for the roof even. No pad needed. If you put an RV pad there first, that can become your driveway later.

If you're truly building an off the grid cabin, designing it as a DC system instead of an AC system will be a lot easier and efficient. LED's run on DC, phones/laptops charge on DC, radios run on DC, etc. The Honda inverter generators charge 12v battery systems at a reasonable rate. There are plenty of 12v water pumps you can find in the RV realm. Look up the Lovable Loo for your toilet needs unless you feel like wasting a bunch of water on flushing. I highly recommend a propane tank or two. You can do wood heat if you want, but VENTED propane backup heat is a smart idea. You can also have propane heated hot water, a propane stove, and even a propane powered fridge. I guess you could even have propane lighting if you wanted. A 5000 BTU window AC will typically run on a Honda EU2000i generator if it gets too hot in there for fans (fans also can run on DC power). If you're doing solar and batteries or wind and batteries (or both), you'll need to have a very secure way to keep your batteries from being stolen. With an A-frame raised off the ground a bit, you can store them under the cabin and build an enclosure to keep them secure. Just make sure the enclosure is vented. With a raised A-frame, you can also put gutters on it and capture all of the roof water (use metal roofing) in 275 gallon totes under the cabin.

Just some ramblings...
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

juddspaintballs wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:31 pm It's relatively easy to build an inexpensive off the grid A-frame house. Set posts, string joists, tie up rafters, sheath. You can use SIPS for the roof even. No pad needed. If you put an RV pad there first, that can become your driveway later.

If you're truly building an off the grid cabin, designing it as a DC system instead of an AC system will be a lot easier and efficient. LED's run on DC, phones/laptops charge on DC, radios run on DC, etc. The Honda inverter generators charge 12v battery systems at a reasonable rate. There are plenty of 12v water pumps you can find in the RV realm. Look up the Lovable Loo for your toilet needs unless you feel like wasting a bunch of water on flushing. I highly recommend a propane tank or two. You can do wood heat if you want, but VENTED propane backup heat is a smart idea. You can also have propane heated hot water, a propane stove, and even a propane powered fridge. I guess you could even have propane lighting if you wanted. A 5000 BTU window AC will typically run on a Honda EU2000i generator if it gets too hot in there for fans (fans also can run on DC power). If you're doing solar and batteries or wind and batteries (or both), you'll need to have a very secure way to keep your batteries from being stolen. With an A-frame raised off the ground a bit, you can store them under the cabin and build an enclosure to keep them secure. Just make sure the enclosure is vented. With a raised A-frame, you can also put gutters on it and capture all of the roof water (use metal roofing) in 275 gallon totes under the cabin.

Just some ramblings...
Good stuff Jed. I haven't really done a lot of research but I will. First is a gravel drive with RV pad, that will eventually be the cabin site. Nothing huge, 12x20 maybe 24x24 max. We have a non vented propane fireplace at home and I like that idea, also can heat water with propane. We do have access to electric, but, probably won't use it. Also the site is perked but an outhouse with compost toilet is planned.
Of course a lot depends on SWMBO :lol2: But she wants the off-grid thing.
Bruce