I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM EFI 2 strokes are happening in 2018

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

KTM EFI 2 strokes are happening in 2018

Post by gots_a_sol »

http://enduro21.com/index.php/40-genera ... es-due-may
KTM just dropped an emissions-friendly bomb in a press release today, stating that fuel-injection technology is ready for two-strokes, and the 2018 250EXC and 300EXC bikes will come equipped with it. Yes, the EXC bikes represent KTM's enduro range, so no word yet on how this would impact the 250SX two-stroke motocross bike, but it still represents a major step forward for the pre-mix motors.

Well, actually, the new Transfer Port Injection (TPI) eliminates the need for pre-mixing of gas and oil altogether. More importantly, it drastically reduces emissions and fuel consumption. This is key because in some global markets, KTM still sells street-legal 250 and 300 two-stroke dual sports, and this new EFI unit allows those bikes to meet the very strict Euro 4 emission standards.

Over here, two-strokes don't qualify as road legal already, but some states, like California, do require emissions testing to be legal for use on public off-road land. That only impacts a select part of the U.S. dirt bike market, but we have to believe the technology holds major potential benefits in a wide variety of ways. Today's press release says more information will be available during the bike's worldwide launch on May 15.

In an recent interview with Europe's Enduro21.com magazine, Joachim Sauer, the KTM product marketing manager, says the bikes have been tuned to perform in a manner similar to a carbureted bike, but testing has confirmed that they respond crisply, without hesitation, and of course without any need for jetting changes.

You can read the full PR below:

KTM is pleased to mark a major global milestone by announcing that it will unveil the world’s first serial production fuel injection 2-stroke Enduro machines at an official launch this coming May. The KTM 250 EXC TPI and KTM 300 EXC TPI models will be introduced to the global market as part of the model year 2018 lineup, while the 250 XC-W TPI model will be introduced to the U.S. and Canadian markets.

The Austrian manufacturer is well-known for its revolutionary advancements in technology and now the game-changer is finally here with 2-stroke fuel injection Enduro models being launched as part of the 2018 EXC range. With KTM’s unwavering commitment to being at the very forefront of offroad motorcycle sport, in which the orange brand has achieved many championship wins over the years, the latest, exciting development in technology has come to fruition.

It has been no secret that KTM’s Research and Development department in Mattighofen, Austria has been developing this technology, which offers considerable benefits over carbureted models including drastically reduced fuel consumption while also no-longer having the need to pre-mix fuel or alter the machines’ jetting. Not only that, the new 2-stroke TPI models offer a completely new experience in terms of power delivery and rideability, which once again demonstrates KTM’s commitment to its offroad roots, continuing on from the all-new generation of Enduro machines released last year. As market leaders in this segment, KTM believes the new 2-stroke fuel injection technology, known as TPI (Transfer Port Injection), is revolutionary. More information will be available during the international media launch, which begins on May 15, 2017.

“This is an incredibly exciting development for KTM. We have been developing 2-stroke fuel injection for some time, and our goal was to create competitive motorcycles with all the benefits of fuel injection, while fitting into our READY TO RACE mantra. There has been extensive testing and considerations for our Research and Development team to take into account during this process, so we are very motivated by this next step and world first in technology, as we take a major step forward in this segment. We are certainly looking forward to unveiling the new 2018 KTM 250 EXC TPI and KTM 300 EXC TPI machines in May. In Europe the bikes will arrive at the dealer floors in early summer. In the USA and Canada, the new 2018 KTM 250 XC-W TPI will be available in very limited quantities in late fall,” said Joachim Sauer, KTM Product Marketing Manager.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: KTM EFI 2 strokes are happening in 2018

Post by Laoch »

Cool. Why no pre-mix? I missed that part.
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Must be oil injected.
UncleND
DAMN n00b

Post by UncleND »

I "think" Transfer port injection means it injects in to the cylinder at the transfer port so very little fuel in the crank case. The oil would need to be injected separately, on the crank and other parts. Should use much less oil as there is no fuel to wash the oil out. I think :shrug:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Even if they do an oil injection like Beta is doing it would help reduce smoke at lower throttle use. All good for the average rider that spend most of the day working in the lower RPM range of the engine but for those running a true race situation and going WFO from a dead stop I see a short period of time the engine will be at very low oil injection rate while being under full engine load. I feel sure some bugs will need worked out however the snowmobile folks seem to have this technology working just fine.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

It's (oil injection) been working just fine on the Beta for 80+ hours. I'd love to see Beta come out with a fuel injected setup as well.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Excuse my ignorance.

Fuel injection is kinda just replacing the carb right? (I know thats way over simplification)

Direct Injection would inject fuel/oil/air mix right into the cylinder and there would be no extra fuel/oil blown out the exhaust?

Honestly I'm all for the newer technologies to make things more efficient and cleaner burning. But it does seem to complicate things.
I just hope they can still make it light weight and reliable.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

KTM's DFI will use the transfer ports as the delivery point. Less pressure (45PSI) needed than combustion chamber and just as efficient. It also minimizes fuel wash in the crankcase eliminating fuel wash of lubrication from the bearings meaning less oil needed/used. WIth the computing power available now the spot on timing of the spray will allow some interesting economy with no loss in output.

phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

This is super-exciting! But why is the 300 not coming to the US? :(

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba