I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

SSL Certificate

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

SSL Certificate

Post by Rut Row »

As I read the tea leaves, it looks like a SSL certificate for the site will eventually be mandatory. Anyone out there know more about that?

I'm thinking of moving the site from HE.net to GoDaddy. I might be able to get costs down. Would you guys be open to annual donations of say $5 to help defray costs if we have to add SSL?

Thoughts?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: SSL Certificate

Post by Wingfixer »

I'd be in for that. We used to take a collection at the reunion ride, it might be time to start that up again.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Wingfixer wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:00 am I'd be in for that. We used to take a collection at the reunion ride, it might be time to start that up again.
+1 Thanks for doing everything you do Ken....
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Sure.
2way2wheels
DAMN n00b

Post by 2way2wheels »

Paypal ?

Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

Kyler,

This site is not secure. It is basically a forum or blog. SSL is used to encrypt cc #'s, passwords, and traffic between pc's and your server. I am new to the site but I don't think you do any type of transactions or sensitive data sharing. I'm not sure why it is going to be mandatory but share what you know.

In a nutshell, I would recommend that users not use a password here that is used anywhere else i.e. bank website etc.

An option to look at is Wix.com for web hosting.

Hope this helps
2011 KTM 450 six days- parting out
2005 Honda CRF250f
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Madizm wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:10 pm Kyler,

This site is not secure. It is basically a forum or blog. SSL is used to encrypt cc #'s, passwords, and traffic between pc's and your server. I am new to the site but I don't think you do any type of transactions or sensitive data sharing. I'm not sure why it is going to be mandatory but share what you know.
I've been reading that Google and others will start labeling standard http sites as "unsafe". Here's an example.

https://webdesignledger.com/google-http ... es-unsafe/

I manage a couple of forums and this could scare off potential members.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
2way2wheels
DAMN n00b

Post by 2way2wheels »

Paypal via email "off site" ?

Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

2way2wheels wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 pm Paypal via email "off site" ?

I use PayPal when I collect for group buys. It works pretty good and no hassles with security.
Ken
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

anotherguy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:55 pmSure.
I assume this means you want a jersey?
Ken