I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM Street Demo August 29-30

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: KTM Street Demo August 29-30

Post by Wingfixer »

I completely forgot about this. :wallbash: And now we're camping. I guess next year....
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

So thoughts on them Duke girls?
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Both the 390 and 690 have that telepathic handling quality at the speeds the demo rides were going at (not too briskly) and it felt to me like they would maintain that quality at a higher pace. I was able to adjust my line at will on both bikes at any point in a corner. Of course corners are the main point of these bikes and they did not disappoint. I want one.

I heard quite a few complaints about the weak motor of the 390 but I thought they were way off. You've got to work the gears and keep it revving but that's part of the fun and accents that the bike is really meant to be actively ridden. The 690 has quite a bit more grunt but it wasn't enough to make me prefer it over the 390.

There's a bit more room on the 690 but the cockpit/riding position of both bikes is fairly small giving you little choice but to stay in the attack position, which is good on bikes like these. As you know I'm not a big guy so you might disagree. ;)

Mirrors on both bikes are useless especially for a dirt rider who automatically sticks his elbows up ("gosh I have pretty elbows") . I would replace them for sure or put some wideners on so the bike could be used for the occasional commute.

The 390 is now on my short list for next street bike. It would be a good complement to my cbr1krr and versys. The versys actually handles like a heavier version of the dukes and is a fun bike in its own right.

Both dukes nail the idea that riding is basic, crazy fun.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Er, lots of words. Hardly noticed writing them all...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

went back today with Bonehead. Tried to ride a 390. No room for my legs and it felt like a PW50.

Rode the 1290 Super Adventure. Nice torque. Stays planted in the turns. Way too DAMN big. But, it is the only adventure bike I've ever gotten on and it fit.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris