I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Help me choose my next street legal dirt bike

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Help me choose my next street legal dirt bike

Post by B00ST00 »

Recently sold my woods bike which was a yz250. It was great for trails but I want something I can ride on the street and use for dual sport rides.

KTM 500?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Re: Help me choose my next street legal dirt bike

Post by anotherguy »

Where do you want it to perform best?
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yeah, dualsports are always tough. When you say "for street" and dualsporting you have to explain what that means.

A street legal bike that can do all the tough/hero sections of an organized dualsport event like Michaux?

Or do you mean dualsporting like cruising around on pavement and dirt roads?

Im not personally familiar with the KTM 500EXC though I hear it is pretty fragging powerful for a 500.

My DR650 makes a great true dualsport bike. With proper set up it is surprisingly capable offroad. But when you do mess up, the extra weight just beats you to death and wears you out picking it up and/or muscling it back onto the trail.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 »

Thanks guys. I want it to perform best off road, while having the ability to travel 30 miles of street at a time maybe further. Definitely needs to be able to handle tough sections and single track as well.

I have a 15' GSA for the long street rides with occasional off road sections.

anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

You're really asking the wrong guy. I ride single track on open class MX bikes.

So the 500 EXC would be a great choice by my standards especially with a magic button. No offense but you ever ride a big bore Katoom? They can be quite the handful in tight stuff at the end of a long day. If you're up for that the bike most certainly is. And DAMN have dirt bikes gotten expensive!

Just remember that turning up the loud switch on a big bore means shit happens right now. Looping one in top gear is only a careless twist away.
B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 »

Great advice! I do not have experience with KTM, let alone big bore KTM's. Past woods bikes have been WR450, XR650R and YZ250.

You're not kidding about prices, even used they seem to hold their value.

Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

B00ST00 wrote:Great advice! I do not have experience with KTM, let alone big bore KTM's. Past woods bikes have been WR450, XR650R and YZ250.

You're not kidding about prices, even used they seem to hold their value.

what is your budget? the DRZ-400 can be gotten at reasonable prices and does well. I had a KTM450EXC that exceeded your requirements on/off road. I'm personally waiting for the 300/350 class 4smokes to come down in price on the used market before I buy one.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 »

Haven't even thought about a budget to be honest, just looking for something that I won't get bored with and covers my needs.

juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

DRZ???
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

Plateable? Leaves out all the Japanese bikes.

If you're looking for a plateable bike, I'd look at the Beta 400RR super sweet and compared to my older '09 450 EXC, it's narrower, FI, lighter, with equally plush suspension and powerful enough. I've been riding my KTM 450 EXC mostly offroad for years, even at shade mountain where it is a handful (but not as much with a softer throttle cam) and if I had to go 4t, I'd get the 400RR. It seemed every bit as powerful as my 450, although I never took it uphill at 60mph on the fire roads at 7 mountains where my 450 was flinging rocks for 500 feet and accelerating uphill the whole time. I ran outta road before hitting 6th. I'm sure it's DAMN close and with the FI you never have to re-needle for hot/cold conditions like I have to do iwth the KTM. However, the newest model 450 and 500 EXCs are narrower and lighter than mine and also FI.

OBTW it seems that the new Husqvarnas are just painted up KTMs so they're a good choice too.

I wouldn't look at Gas Gas as they're in bankruptcy.

IMHO I had a DRZ and wouldn't take it on Shade Mountain single track without some smokes and a bottle of whiskey in my hydration pack.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T