I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

US to crack down on Novelty Helmets

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

WASHINGTON – U.S. transportation regulators on Wednesday called for stronger rules for motorcycle helmets, proposing additional safety requirements in an effort to crack down on "novelty" helmets that do not meet federal standards.

The Department of Transportation said such uncertified helmets are unsafe and do not protect riders in crashes despite being sold and marketed for use on the road.

Its proposal would further define what makes an acceptable motorcycle helmet, from its thickness to its compression ability, in an attempt to help riders and state law enforcement officials identify inferior helmets.

Such proposed changes aim "to reduce fatalities and injuries resulting from traffic accidents involving use of motorcycle helmets" that fail to meet federal standards, Department of Transportation regulators said.

Deaths stemming from motorcycle crashes are disproportionately high, they said, in part due to the high number of motorcyclists wearing substandard helmets.

Novelty helmets generally cover a smaller area of the head, have thin liners and lack the ability to absorb the force of a crash, the department said. They are often sold with disclaimers stating that they are not for highway use "yet they are sold to highway users and used in great numbers by motorcyclists," the regulators said.

It is not clear why so many riders use inferior helmets, but part of the problem seems to be that riders do not understand the risks, the regulators said. Novelty helmets can also be cheaper and appear "more comfortable or stylish," they added.

Tougher standards will help authorities prosecute sellers of noncompliant helmets in states where helmets are mandatory, regulators said. Just three of the 50 U.S. states - Illinois, Iowa and New Hampshire - do not require motorcycle riders to wear helmets, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a nonprofit research group.

The public can comment on the proposal for 60 days before the department moves to issue its final regulation.
Lots of cool bikes---
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

More bureaucracy, just what I wanted in my motorcycle.

If they're too dumb to realize a pudding bowl isn't a helmet, they probably don't need the helmet.
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Re: US to crack down on Novelty Helmets

Post by mtd679 »

Nothing to do with the helmet issue, but can someone explain how "tougher standards will help authorities prosecute sellers"?

If they are not DOT approved, they aren't legal.

Just like, we need more gun laws to keep guns out of criminals hands...

Nothin like big brother adding more laws and regulation for the safety of the stupid citizens. :dirtdog:
bunch of bike I don't ride...
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

Thanks Big Bro! More laws made by unelected beaurocrats.
I'm surprised the government even lets us ride!
Why don't we just ignore the law like they do?
F**k the law!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Im not a big fan of laws that "save us from ourselves".
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

doesn't follow this at all. I thought all helmets had to be DOT approved. No?

I remember when Indiana started requiring helmets back in 1969 or so. I got stopped because I wore a safety helmet (like the construction guys wear). I was lucky and only got a warning.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

All helmets need to be DOT approved to be worn legally on public roads.

It's easy to find helmets described as "novelty helmets" sold at bike shows. Sometimes they also sell stickers that says "DOT" right next to them that you can affix to the helmet yourself since they can't legally do so. As my Dad has said, "What? No, that's not Department of Transportation... Dot is the name of the woman who made the helmet!"

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

phoo wrote:Sometimes they also sell stickers that says "DOT" right next to them that you can affix to the helmet yourself since they can't legally do so.
{gasp!} some miscreant would actually do that? :angel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable »

Maybe they should pass a law banning the sale of stickers in the shape of "D", "O", and "T". That'll fix the problem.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I don't get it. First of all, I don't think helmets should be mandated, but just as equally I'll call you stupid for not wearing one on a motorcycle. Why someone would wear a fake helmet, but not a helmet that is approved (though maybe not effective still) is beyond me. That's like wearing a fake seatbelt. Either wear one, or don't, but don't look like you are wearing one without the benefit of actually being protected by what you're wearing.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R