I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dual Sporting Attire

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
slacktrack
DAMN n00b

Re: Happy N00b Year!

Post by slacktrack »

Might as well kick off my first real question: what do you folks wear when dualsporting? How about when it's colder out? What about protective gear?

My current gear is mostly street/commute-oriented. I've already sprung for MX boots, and the search is on for goggles that will fit over my glasses. I need to see if I can get an XD or XD3 to fit my melon (always wanted an Arai, but I've got a Shoei-shaped head when it comes to street helmets). Inside the boot, or over the boot pants? Do you wear armor as a separate layer, or integrated into jacket and pants? What's the story on roost deflectors...I can see why racers need them, but is there a point for trail riding?
Dave
'89 Honda NX650
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Dual Sporting Attire

Post by motojunky »

slacktrack wrote:Might as well kick off my first real question: what do you folks wear when dualsporting? How about when it's colder out? What about protective gear?

My current gear is mostly street/commute-oriented. I've already sprung for MX boots, and the search is on for goggles that will fit over my glasses. I need to see if I can get an XD or XD3 to fit my melon (always wanted an Arai, but I've got a Shoei-shaped head when it comes to street helmets). Inside the boot, or over the boot pants? Do you wear armor as a separate layer, or integrated into jacket and pants? What's the story on roost deflectors...I can see why racers need them, but is there a point for trail riding?
For me, dual sporting gear is always a challenge when temps are low. If I dress for the street portion of the ride, I'm sweating like crazy in the woods. Dress for the woods and I freeze my small parts off on the way there. On my last ride, I wore my dirt pants but a street/"adventure" jacket with layers up top. When I got hot I hung a sweater on a tree and went back for it later. That worked OK since we were riding a fairly small area. I guess it depends on how "off road" you want to get. For fire roads, green ridge, etc., dressing for the ride is easier. Tight woods, rocks, etc. that make you sweat is always hard to dress for.

Your NX will power an electric vest. That makes it a little easier to deal with the cold.

When it's warm, I dress for the dirt. That's riding pants, boots, knee/shin pads, hip pads, elbow pads, chest protector, gloves and helmet. For the low street speeds I do, I feel like that's adequate protection.

Re: a roost deflector/chest protector... I don't wear it to deflect roost. I wear it to hopefully prevent being impaled by a broken branch, bar end, etc. when crashing. Also to spread impact of rocks, falling bikes, meteor strikes, etc. They offer that protection front and rear. The only time I don't wear one is when I have a heavy jacket on in cold weather on more "dual sporty" (less "hardcore") rides.

Man, I type too much...
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Dual Sporting Attire

Post by Rut Row »

I moved the attire part of the thread to a new thread.

I wear my AST jacket and "street" gear if we aren't going to do more than gravel roads, etc. If the main purpose of the ride is to do trails (aka watch Ken fall down a lot), then I wear my MX boots, dirt pants, etc.

Since you only have one bike, I'd carry a big bag that you could put excess clothing in. However, I predict you'll be the proud owner of a dirt oriented bike soon :lol2: that is how I ended up with my DS KTM.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yeah, I don't really have "dualsporting" attire either. My one piece Aerostich is my road gear. For offroad I wear typical dirt/MX stuff. I have a chestprotector/roost deflector thingee. For faster offroad riding I like it. Not so much for roost but for taking a bar end to the chest or mislanding a jump and slamming down on the crossbar...

I tend to go w/ whatever wheels I have on the DR. Supermoto wheelset, then I wear the Aerostich. Knobby wheelset, on goes the MX gear.

I'd like some sort of intermediate lightweight armored jacket and pants w/ MX boots but I'm saving for my dirtbike too!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

I too do not believe in one set of gear for all circumstances. Dual sporting is mostly street riding IMO; dirt roads, ORV trails, etc. If I am riding on the street at all, I protect myself. Usually with an armored jacket. I have a Dainese non vented goretex for temps below 70*. Layering and modulation of the front zip regulate the interior climate. This jacket is comfortable and sturdy. Both are very good things. I always wear MX/Off-road boots, all seasons. I used to wear jeans with knee protection underneath. Now I wear my off road pants or leather race pants, both with knee protection underneath. Above 70*, I wear a Vanson vented jacket (mesh with cordura backing on the sleeves and back). It has hard GP armor and a built in back protector. In the summer, it is cooler than a t-shirt and 1,000,000 X more protective.

Off road, I substitute the jackets for elbow gaurds and and jersey. I wear the Dainese jacket if it is cold. I only wear my MX helmet and goggles for true off roading. All other times I wear a road helmet.

BTW, Shoei makes an XD like helmet. restukey has one and seems to like it. Maybe he will chime in with where he got his (probably off of Ebay).

I like to take my off road riding seriously and have no interest in riding to the trails. I would much rather show up with my bike in my truck, a cooler full of water and snacks, a chair, etc.

Aw dang! Now I want to go riding! :rickey:

:roost: :roost: :whoop: :whoop:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

mdubya wrote: I like to take my off road riding seriously and have no interest in riding to the trails. I would much rather show up with my bike in my truck, a cooler full of water and snacks, a chair, etc.
That's my preferred way to do it, but it requires driving for hours to get anywhere where that's possible. On the other hand, 5 miles of low speed street riding gets me to some nice "gray market" trails that wouldn't be accessible by truck. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... :brows:
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

motojunky wrote:
mdubya wrote: I like to take my off road riding seriously and have no interest in riding to the trails. I would much rather show up with my bike in my truck, a cooler full of water and snacks, a chair, etc.
That's my preferred way to do it, but it requires driving for hours to get anywhere where that's possible. On the other hand, 5 miles of low speed street riding gets me to some nice "gray market" trails that wouldn't be accessible by truck. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... :brows:
Well 5 miles down the road hardly calls for a truck. Couldn't agree more. :lol2:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

motojunky wrote:That's my preferred way to do it, but it requires driving for hours to get anywhere where that's possible. On the other hand, 5 miles of low speed street riding gets me to some nice "gray market" trails that wouldn't be accessible by truck. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... :brows:
that is why I have a plated KTM!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:
motojunky wrote:That's my preferred way to do it, but it requires driving for hours to get anywhere where that's possible. On the other hand, 5 miles of low speed street riding gets me to some nice "gray market" trails that wouldn't be accessible by truck. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... :brows:
that is why I have a plated KTM!
If you lived in an area where it was legal to drive your ATV or Lawn Mower to the beer store, you wouldn't even need the plate. :deal:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:If you lived in an area where it was legal to drive your ATV or Lawn Mower to the beer store, you wouldn't even need the plate. :deal:
WV has some truly redeeming qualities, no? :brows:
Ken