I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trade DR for a two stroke?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Trade DR for a two stroke?

Post by Bucho »

Just a possibility. But should I pursue it?

I have an 04 DR650, w/ both 21" knobbie and 17" motard wheelsets. The bike has slightly updated suspension front and rear, opened up airbox/rejet, exhuast, renazco seat. I've wrecked it both on and offroad, it has well over 20,000 miles on it.
Its a great bike, I really like it. Not so much as a dirtbike but as an "adventure motard".

But, I've been riding a lot more dirt and want a nice light weight two-stroke enduro.
I have very little spare money.

Should I trade it for an 02 KTM 250EXC? The bike is PA plated and also comes w/ two wheelsets. The guy bought it got a set of motard wheels for it and decided two-strokes make poor motards. I would mostly be using it as a dirtbike, but I at least would have the option of going for a streetride supermoto thrash every once in a while.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: Trade DR for a two stroke?

Post by motojunky »

Bucho wrote:Just a possibility. But should I pursue it?

I have an 04 DR650, w/ both 21" knobbie and 17" motard wheelsets. The bike has slightly updated suspension front and rear, opened up airbox/rejet, exhuast, renazco seat. I've wrecked it both on and offroad, it has well over 20,000 miles on it.
Its a great bike, I really like it. Not so much as a dirtbike but as an "adventure motard".

But, I've been riding a lot more dirt and want a nice light weight two-stroke enduro.

Should I trade it for an 02 KTM 250EXC? The bike is PA plated and also comes w/ two wheelsets. The guy bought it got a set of motard wheels for it and decided two-strokes make poor motards. I would mostly be using it as a dirtbike, but I at least would have the option of going for a streetride supermoto thrash every once in a while.
If it were me, I'd do it in a second. But then I only ride enough street to connect trails, so streetability isn't important to me. I could never own a motard, as I'd lose my license in about seven minutes. :ride:

Do you have details of your TTR dualsport posted anywhere? I'd like to see it if you do.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Just a possibility. But should I pursue it?

Yes, do this. That way I won't be tempted to buy your Connie! :bandit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

:lurker: Do it already.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Wow, no one likes the DR huh?

I was really loving some of the more challenging offroad stuff we were doing this past season. And though I know that I only have so many weekends off and only so much time I can spare from my family I really want to try an actual enduro or harescramble. I figure that KTM should be great for that and honestly I think it would be pretty fun to haul it out to Mdubya's this summer and take it for a supermoto thrash!

Yeah, Ken though I like my DR way more then the Connie, the Connie is so much better at my long highway commute. It is a much more practical bike to me I guess.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Motojunky, I don't think I have a write up or anything on the lil TTR. Its just a baja dualsport kit, rewound stator (no battery), a set of cheap ChengShin trials tires, taller gearing, 150 kit and bigger carb, pod filter... Did you have more questions?
Its kind of a silly bike as it has its limitations as a street legal bike, but it was my wife's dirtbike and she wanted to get her street license but was intimidated by all the taller/heavier bikes.
The TTR is so easy to ride, she passed her MVA test in the rain.
This past summer the TTR was my preferred bike to ride into downtown Frederick to go to the library. I could pop it up on the curb and park it in the bicycle rack outside the front door!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

The guy hasn't gotten back to me.

I guess I'll just keep the DR and save my pennies.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Bucho wrote:The guy hasn't gotten back to me.

I guess I'll just keep the DR and save my pennies.
Keep the DR and buy a cheap 2 stroke. They are practically giving them away used these days. :deal:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

My savings have unfortunently taken some hits. But you're right there are some decent cheap bikes out there. Maybe I can get one by mid season.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200