I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

GPS advice

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

GPS advice

Post by Bucho »

Howdy, I thought I'd ask some advice from the collective.

I have used a GPS but my experience IS pretty limited. Mostly just the one in my wife's car, where you plug in an address and follow the directions.

I'm interested in having one to use on my dirtbike. Following tracks out in the trackless wilderness and such.
I'm not a big tech/computer guy so I don't need or even want it to be able to do a bazillion other things.
My KTM for the most part has no battery so I thought it would simpler/easier for the GPS to have its own battery. So maybe I should be looking for a "hiking" type gps?

Anyway, any advice would be helpful.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Re: GPS advice

Post by Bork »

I don't know much either, so I'll be listening :popcorn: But a buddy in Fl had one of these, & it was amazing how he logged routes into the thing. They used to be about $50.00 IIRC. Now for the price, the hand held GPS, looks like a better deal.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I've used a couple different Garmin models over the years; hiking, hunting, riding, war fighting, etc.
I've always had good luck with Garmins- I still have three of them. I use an older 2610 on the KLX.
I use a really older etrex model on the XR4. No maps, but it points in the right direction.
The newer models have tons of features, topo maps, regular maps, route planning, all in a hand held size.
Have you checked other moto sites to see what riders are using?
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thanks guys.

The new (or newish) Garmin etrex looks pretty good for what it gives and for the prices I've found.

Hopefully, Santa will bring me one and I can mess around with it this spring.

So by March be ready for the thread "How the frag do I use this GPS thing..."
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I had (can't find it) an eTrex Legend. I really liked it, kinda. I'm a big fan of my current GPS, the Garmin Nuvi 500 with topo maps. For dirt, it's fantastic. But they lie when they say it'll last 8 hours. For street, it'll get you where you're going but Garmin's choices in routing kind of suck. I got a refurb for $150 and I've been quite pleased with it. Also, if you remember, it was the GPS that broke my KTMs fall by hitting the giant rock first after I tossed my bike off that cliff at H&M. It still works great.

I won't embed the image because it'll be huge, but https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 4594_n.jpg is the tracks from our Greenridge ride a few months ago. I like this unit's ability to show me where I've been and where I'm going. I put it into "north up" mode and topo maps and I can wander to my heart's content. Also, it's waterproof and works using your left hand, while wearing gloves, in the rain, snow, and mud.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Bucho wrote:Thanks guys.

The new (or newish) Garmin etrex looks pretty good for what it gives and for the prices I've found.

Hopefully, Santa will bring me one and I can mess around with it this spring.

So by March be ready for the thread "How the frag do I use this GPS thing..."
The etrex is quite good, capable, rugged and has long battery life.
The negatives compared to higher dollar units are small screen and not touch screen
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

phoo wrote:I had (can't find it) an eTrex Legend. I really liked it, kinda. I'm a big fan of my current GPS, the Garmin Nuvi 500 with topo maps. For dirt, it's fantastic. But they lie when they say it'll last 8 hours. For street, it'll get you where you're going but Garmin's choices in routing kind of suck. I got a refurb for $150 and I've been quite pleased with it. Also, if you remember, it was the GPS that broke my KTMs fall by hitting the giant rock first after I tossed my bike off that cliff at H&M. It still works great.

I won't embed the image because it'll be huge, but https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 4594_n.jpg is the tracks from our Greenridge ride a few months ago. I like this unit's ability to show me where I've been and where I'm going. I put it into "north up" mode and topo maps and I can wander to my heart's content. Also, it's waterproof and works using your left hand, while wearing gloves, in the rain, snow, and mud.

~Patrick
That's great info!! I'm going to get one to break my falls! :ride:
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Post by YAMPOL »

Hi gang. This is my first post, but thought I would throw in my 2cents on this one. I use a Garmin 60CSx. It runs on two AA batteries and will last a couple days of hard use with batteries (maybe more). I have used this on my RZR for the last three years and now on my XT and also in the Jeep. I have the RZR hard wired and run off the RZR battery. On the XT it has worked great, and two AA's don't take up much room in the bag for spares. I am probably a little older than most of you and not a techie at all, but have no problem with this model. Rain, snow, cold, hot, dust, and all kinds of terrain and it is still fine. I got mine and all the RAM mounts from:http://www.gpscity.com/ Hope this is a help.

Yampol

:roost:
Retired and loving it!
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

I have an eTrex H, but frankly, I don't know why I bother. I don't know how to use it. I just turn it on and it really acts like a Startrek like speedo and odometer and a really sucky compass. I can download the "track" but it really seems useless. I hate editing the track to remove the "garbage". With huge finagling I can get it to overlay on a map but "so what"? I'm clueless how to make it be useful, like to create some kind of route that I could follow at a later time. I have no idea the difference between a route or track! WHythehell do they have to make it so complicated? The machine should just ask what you want it to do, then it should just DO IT. But I'm a curmudgeon.

BillyGoat
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

I was going to post up a recommendation for the Garmin 60CSx like YAMPOL did, as it's worked great for me, but then I looked it up to see if it was still being made. There's a few on Amazon for over $600...no thanks. If you can find one for under $200 I think it's a great deal (waterproof, seems pretty tough so far, good battery life) but at that price I'd get a dedicated motorcycle GPS.