I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

cold weather riding wear

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bork
DAMN Poohba

cold weather riding wear

Post by Bork »

Any tips or tricks to keep from freezing? besides the electric grips. What gloves without sacrificing flexibility, etc...
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Re: cold weather riding wear

Post by BillyGoat »

Gotta have one of those full face masks that go over your whole face and neck...called a Baclava or something like that.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I used my electric jacket that I bought 11 years ago for the first time today. Despite below freezing temperatures, I had to turn it down twice because I was too warm.

Non-electric gear that will be about as good as you're going to get :

Fleece pullover.
Fleece vest.
Fleece leggings.
Long socks.
Cordura riding suit (jacket and pants).
BMG makes a decent winter glove.
Balaclava (face mask).
Full face helmet.

That's about as good as you're going to get. The vest is important, as it provides warmth without bulk on the arms. The cordura is important for wind protection. You cannot avoid bulk on gloves. Wearing triple digit rain covers can help with wind protection, as could hippo hands or to a lesser extent offroad hand guards.

Electric gloves are where it's at. Not grips, because those are only good for extending the season for your summer gloves. Electric jacket (I would go vest if I get something new) is nice but optional if you have the gloves.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

Post by 1AHBE »

heated gloves provide great warmth, but are thick and I hate dealing with the wires.
this year i've started using heated grips + hippo hands and i've kept wearing my summer gloves. so far i've been comfy with this setup. hopefully i can do this all winter.
you need to get used to not seeing your controls with the hippo hands, but it's not a big deal.

i wear a heated jacket from gerbings as well. the warmth is great, but i've had 2 warranty claims on it already. the quality is suspect. they do have a lifetime warranty, however.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I get cold easy and it's getting worse as I get older. I will not be without an electric jacket again. Last year I replaced my old copper wired Gerbing jacket with a Warm N Safe one with the modern wiring. The new stuff is so much better. It heats up almost instantaneously. I just recently replaced the old Gerbing electric gloves with a set of Warm N Safe electric liners that I can use in summer or winter gloves as necessary. To me electric heat is the best thing ever. My commute involves nearly an hour each way at 70-75mph and this stuff keeps me warm without having a big touring bike/big windshield.

I wear a turtle fur fleece neck warmer that fits from my head down into my jacket so no cold air gets in. Cheap (about $15 at places like REI) and works awesome. Just a fleece tube.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

I figured it would be easier to post a picture
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

Cold Killers Hot Hood

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/55 ... e-hot-hood

Windproof, comparatively comfortable, essential freezing weather gear.

Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

ride tighter trails and drink
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

And the BEST ANSWERE IS: :loveit:
Hare wrote:ride tighter trails and drink
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I will also endorse the combination of hippo hands and heated grips. My street bike is set up like that and road all winter in below freezing weather with my summer riding gloves. This past winter my heated grips went out and even just the hippo hands do a remarkable job in keeping the cold air off your hands. Without the heated grips Im perfectly comfortable down to 38-40 degrees with my summer gloves.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200