I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Gun nuts

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Gun nuts

Post by phoo »

Sorry for the off topic post, but I know several of you own guns. If you don't like guns, please close the thread because I don't care about debating the topic.

My dad lives in Florida. He has a 9mm handgun for me, but I'm having problems navigating the myriad documents that are required to get it transferred to me. I looked into this a couple years ago and got some distance into the process before running into what seemed to be a snag and since it is/was low priority for me I stopped trying.

Has anyone ever transferred a handgun from out of state into Maryland who can offer some help figuring out what I need to do? I'd like to get this done before October when the cost of doing so is supposed to skyrocket.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Gun nuts

Post by Rut Row »

I'm thinking that with the latest law passed, you should move to PA first.

Good luck!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BillyGoat
DAMN Expert

Post by BillyGoat »

No problem. Just go to any local gun shop and ask. It will probably have to be shipped to a registered gun dealer in MD. So you need his permission before sending it. He'll prolly ask you to start filling out the forms now if you know for a fact it will be shipped. You'll prolly need the Serial number on the gun first.

Not a problem...these dealers do it all the time but don't expect them to work for you for free.
KTM 450 EXC mostly
Member AMA, PaTRA, MD OHV Alliance, trying to join R&T
Taylor
DAMN Expert

Post by Taylor »

Umm, what Uncle Sam doesn't know about won't hurt him? :screwy:
2012 Husky WR 125
2009 Husky TE 310
2001 Harley FLHR
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Taylor wrote:Umm, what Uncle Sam doesn't know about won't hurt him? :screwy:
+1
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote:
Taylor wrote:Umm, what Uncle Sam doesn't know about won't hurt him? :screwy:
+1
+2
No requirement to "transfer" anything. You want the state knowing you have a firearm?

Yeah, and move to PA. MD is joining other uber liberal states and passing crazy gun laws.
Bruce
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

It is legal for you to "borrow" your father's firearm or story it for him as long as you can legally possess one. If you already own a firearm then you wont need a license to own it under the newly passed law but if you buy a regulated firearm after Oct 01 you will need a license and training to do so. Unless your are X-military or police o
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

I've bought several out of state and even online. My local shop charges $37 to do the transfer. I think it was an additional $10 if it was a new firearm without a fired casing. Easy process as long as it's on the Md roster of legal firearms
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Well, it turns out there are other complications. For example, it's legal and registered, but it's been owned many years and no other documentation exists. Not to mention Maryland won't like the capacity of the clips. It's not worth the risk of losing his gun in some paperwork nightmare.

Thanks,

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I don't understand the concept of registering a firearm. And what documentation?
Where is this required?
Is this some commie state thing?

I am seriously curious?
Bruce