I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Places for kids to ride

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Places for kids to ride

Post by motojunky »

I'd like to take my 9 y/o daughter on a little riding adventure. We have a place at home and another place in DE to ride, but I'd like to take her on a proper riding trip - probably including an overnight camp at the riding area. It needs to be pretty easy as she's still on (and too big for) her XR50 right now. As a point of reference, she'd have been OK with the old Greenridge OHV loop (probably need a little help in a couple of spots). I'm more interested in a nice ride in the woods than a MX track or beat up few mile woods loop at a MX facility.

Ideas?

Thanks!
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Re: Places for kids to ride

Post by Ovo »

I would like to do taskers gap - might be a good place for her to ride and we could make it an overnighter.
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

You can camp back at the farm and ride the easy loop the quads ride around the farm.
Still a bit cool for camping and not all the frost is out so some drying should be in order first.
Could even do a little boat trip on the creek to change things up some.
At the end of our road is a large entertainment facility for kids with go carts, laser tag, and other assorted items to pick at your funds.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

I'm taking my son Ian, also 9, to Breezewood Proving Grounds over the weekend of 03/31.
We'll be tent camping overnight. I don't know if they have any woods trails open. I've never been there before..?and they were closed last I called due to the weather.?
http://www.breezewoodprovinggrounds.com/facilities.html
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Breezewood has a woods trail that loops the property. I dont remember it being too hard, but its been a while since I was there.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Boom Boom wrote:You can camp back at the farm and ride the easy loop the quads ride around the farm.
Still a bit cool for camping and not all the frost is out so some drying should be in order first.
Could even do a little boat trip on the creek to change things up some.
At the end of our road is a large entertainment facility for kids with go carts, laser tag, and other assorted items to pick at your funds.
BB,

That is an awesome offer! I have been trying to convince my wife to combine our camping (pop-up camper) trips with my dirt biking. I have both my 5 yr old son and 7 yr old daughter riding the XR50 without training wheels now so it would be great to take them some place new. I just gave them the XR in January and they have been riding around in a small flat field we have at the farm but soon that will be planted with crops and their riding area is going to be curtailed. They could still use a little more practice before taking on some place new so maybe late summer or early fall?

BTW, Phoo (or anybody else), do you want to bring your kids over again this year for another little moto-jam? We have until early or mid-April until the field will get shut down.

Thanks,
SJ
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

If I go talk with the people renting the A-frame I feel sure they would not mind a couple campers parked along the creek. On a little more remote situation we have the area to the east that overlooks the creek where others camp regular. That is beside the grass track area so the kids could ride within view of the better half.
Once warm enough to float the creek, that could also be added to the activity. I can haul a bunch of tubes to drop off point and you just float back to camp.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Skinny-J wrote:BTW, Phoo (or anybody else), do you want to bring your kids over again this year for another little moto-jam? We have until early or mid-April until the field will get shut down.
Yes, I absolutely do. Fiona decided she wanted to ride again on Sunday and did a very good job. Brendan never stopped and has been mad at Winter for getting dark too early to ride. They're still using the training wheels because their riding area is too small to learn to not need training wheels (and they don't seem to really want to lose them, anyway). Maybe a bigger area and kids riding without them will motivate them to get rid of them.

Sunday, 24 March any time after noon looks okay, then any weekend after that it looks like Sunday early afternoon works. Saturdays would have to be after 3p 'til whenever. Let me know what works for you.

Have you given them the four wheeler, yet?

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

phoo wrote:Sunday, 24 March any time after noon looks okay, then any weekend after that it looks like Sunday early afternoon works. Saturdays would have to be after 3p 'til whenever. Let me know what works for you.

Have you given them the four wheeler, yet?

~Patrick
Let me check with HQ but I think Sunday the 24 should work.

The four wheeler is for Carlie's B-day on 4/15. I am torn on giving it to her bc I am afraid in the short term it will end her motorcycle interest (and possibly Jason's as well), but as long as they are having fun I guess it doesn't really matter....
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Thanks for the replies and generous riding/camping offers! I'm in whirlwind mode as usual, but will try to squeeze a few brain cycles in for planning something in the very near future. My daughter will be 10 in June and is hit or miss about riding. Some days she's into it and others she doesn't seem to care. I don't push, but I sure hope she sticks with it. I really need to make time to get her TY sorted out as she really is too big for the XR50.
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap