I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Observations on riding in the Cold

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Observations on riding in the Cold

Post by Skinny-J »

Its been a little quiet around the here the last couple of days-
So I normally ride the Concours to work every day. It breaks up the monotony of my 30 mile trip each way to work, gets me on two-wheels and saves about $10/day round trip compared to driving the truck. In the winter time, my general rule of thumb is unless there is frozen precipitation on the ground or in the immediate forecast, then ride. However, this morning as I sat eating my breakfast at 5 am and looking at my thermometer which read 14 degrees I was pondering how nice the heated seats in the truck would feel. Then a little voice in my head said “adventure is that way…”; so here are my observations on riding in 14 degrees (actually I saw 9 degrees on a bank sign right before getting to my office)
1. The Bike was not real happy about starting. After it finally caught I let it warm up a little x-tra. It was still running a little rough so I ended up driving half way to work with the enricher lever still pulled half-way (its technically an enricher, not a choke because it is not “chocking” the air via a butter-fly rather it is opening another circuit to add more fuel)
2. At 14 degrees the battery on my IPod lasted 6 minutes.
3. The anti-fog on my shield did very little as my breath was freezing to the inside of the shield every time I exhaled. I had to crack the shield to get a little air flow so the moisture would evaporate before it hit the shield. Someone needs to invent a defroster option for helmet shields.
4. The fairing on the Concours is great. It’s the whole reason I keep the bike and use it as my commuter. On the highway at 75 mph its just like a goldwing. My gerbings heated gear worked good. My normal attire is the jacket and the gloves that plug into the jacket; I do not have heated grips. Although, I have to admit, this morning I did add the heated socks which plug into the jacked as well into the mix. It was only the 3 rd or 4th time I ever used the socks. I was pretty warm except for my thumb; heated grips would have rounded my arsenal of heat off very nicely. I will also admit that I had the heated gear controller just about on max, a first for that as well…

Tomorrow they are calling for a low of 10 degrees. I am not sure there is much difference between 14 and 10 but we shall see….
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Observations on riding in the Cold

Post by Rut Row »

get a snowmobile helmet - they have ones with heated shields
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

:thumbup: Goodonya!

The RT is also nice in the cold. I too have found the helmet thing to be an issue. Snowmobile helmets are one answer or maybe just a heated visor-google that. I got a nose breath deflector thingy? It fits in the helmet and directs breath down...or something. Works pretty good.I can't say, ok I know I've never ventured out in anything below 20 degrees, ok 25.

Riding dressed like Michlen man can be a challenge.
Bruce
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

This.

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nice J. Ive been a little more of a pussy this winter about commuting on my bike. I dont have any heated gear but I used to have heated grips. Combined with the "hippo hands" the heated grips kept my hands warm with my normal year round gloves. (I dont even have winter gloves anymore). Anything above 40 degrees Im fine and I ride. Now down into the 30s I ride when I feel like it. I have only ridden once this year below freezing.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Great post.

I don't have heated gear either, but my jacket (tour-master transition 2) and my pants (Joe Rocket Alter Ego) do a great job cutting the wind and cold.

I just bought the tusk grip heaters ($19.99) and they really help with the hands. I used to get to work and my hands would be in pain from the cold, now they are just cold... :lol2:

Expensive but these look like the perfect helmet for winter: like $500.00 - but this is just an example to what is out there.

http://store.can-am.brp.com/product/506 ... _SE_Helmet
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

I bought a shield for my street HJC that's for snowmobiling. It's not heated like some snowmobile shields, it's just double shielded. Haven't tried riding with it yet.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Kyler wrote:get a snowmobile helmet - they have ones with heated shields
Wow, I was just kidding around; I never knew they actually existed!!
Ovo wrote:Expensive but these look like the perfect helmet for winter: like $500.00 - but this is just an example to what is out there.

http://store.can-am.brp.com/product/506 ... _SE_Helmet
That thing is bad ass. I would definitely get some funny looks wearing that!! But then again it is still dark in the morning on the way to work so who cares.....
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Jay, you are my hero.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Jay you are my hero and definitely get a few extra points added to your man card! I put heated grips on the C14 for about $100, they are made by a company called trackside. They work really well but I would still like to get some Gerbings, my heated vest doesn't always cut it.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.