I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Finally, smaller tags in Maryland!

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Finally, smaller tags in Maryland!

Post by Grady »

Went to the MVA today to get a new tag for the Husky, since the old one was destroyed, and they gave me one of the new smaller ones. I always hated how Maryland motorcycle tags were so large, but now they are the smaller. The new one is only 7"x4". Hopefully with the new size, it will last a little longer than my past one.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Finally, smaller tags in Maryland!

Post by Rut Row »

What!!!!! Hmmm... if the Frederick office has any, I'm guessing that my current ones will be damaged soon and need replacement! :bandit:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

very interesting. Anyone know off hand the apx. size of the "old" one's. I've never heard of this.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Most other states already use a 7"x4" tag. The old Maryland tags were about 8 1/2" x 4 1/2". For some reason Maryland used a larger plate than just about every other state. The cost for a replacement tag is $20. It doesn't sound like a big difference in size, but it is noticeable.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Grady wrote:It doesn't sound like a big difference in size, but it is noticeable.
Every inch counts! :dry:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Last time I was at Greenridge I lost my tag. I just got its replacement yesterday. I had forgot about the new smaller tags. It would be really great if they were so small that the speed cameras couldn't see them.
However, I had done a cheap hack job on the fender extension of the DR. I had cut away all the plastic leaving just two little nubs where I could attach the license plate. Now with smaller plate, the holes don't line up! I'll have to fashion some other way to attach the plate.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

i mount my plate to some light metal like from a street sign then used nuts and bolts with fender washers in at least 3 spots. use lock nuts or mess up the threads a little so the nuts cant fall off. It works very well, even for hard enduro riding

and yes its about time they got the new size
Attachments
081120_212718 (Large).jpg
081120_212718 (Large).jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
illenium
DAMN Wanabe

Post by illenium »

so do they finally fit the plate holders they sell in wallmart :brows:

maybe the fmf plate holder wasnt bought for nothing after all :ride:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Hare wrote:i mount my plate to some light metal like from a street sign...
:harhar: I'm going to be watching for missing street signs!
Ken
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, CA, too. DAMNit. I built a tidy little lisense plate holder, but now it doesn't fit.